US Citizen relocating to Canada

Old January 18th 05, 01:46 PM
Dude

Default US Citizen relocating to Canada

Anyone have any helpful words for a pilot and plane owner possibly moving to
Canada?

Specifically, property taxes and other cost of ownership issues. Also,
ability to rent with a US certificate from Canadian schools if I decide not
to take the plane with me. Lastly, can you use a US Commercial certificate
for flying jobs in Canada?

Old January 23rd 05, 04:27 PM
Jay Somerset

On Tue, 18 Jan 2005 13:46:23 GMT, "Dude" wrote:

Anyone have any helpful words for a pilot and plane owner possibly moving to
Canada?

Specifically, property taxes and other cost of ownership issues. Also,
ability to rent with a US certificate from Canadian schools if I decide not
to take the plane with me. Lastly, can you use a US Commercial certificate
for flying jobs in Canada?

Your US Commercial Cert will not let you do anything with a C-reg plane in
Canada, on its own. You can get the equivalent Canadian license with
minimal instruction, although the commercial limitations may be a bit
different. This type of kicense, based on your US Certificate, is valid only
as long as all requirements for the US one are still valid (currency,
medical, etc.).

You cannot rent (or act as PIC) a C-reg plane with the US cert. You can
keep and fly a US-reg aircraft in Canada, as long as it is personally owned
-- not owned by a company.

I suggest you join COPA (www.copanational.org) but you can get sonme info
from their website as a guest.

If you import your US-registered aircraft, you will have to pay provincial
and federal sales taxes. The plane will also be subject to duty -- probably
at about 27% of current value. All in all, taxes/duties can total over 40%
of the value of the plane.

You can get more detailed info from COPA, and possibly from AOPA as well.
Old January 23rd 05, 07:20 PM
Dude

Thanks for the heads up!

I suggest you join COPA (www.copanational.org) but you can get sonme info
from their website as a guest.

Wilco

If you import your US-registered aircraft, you will have to pay provincial
and federal sales taxes. The plane will also be subject to duty --
probably
at about 27% of current value. All in all, taxes/duties can total over
40%
of the value of the plane.

You can get more detailed info from COPA, and possibly from AOPA as well.

Holy Communism Batman! That's insane! Do I get a refund when I leave in a
couple years?

Old January 23rd 05, 09:41 PM

Dude wrote:
Anyone have any helpful words for a pilot and plane owner possibly

moving to
Canada?

Specifically, property taxes and other cost of ownership issues.

Also,
ability to rent with a US certificate from Canadian schools if I

decide not
to take the plane with me. Lastly, can you use a US Commercial

certificate
for flying jobs in Canada?

Can't help w.r.t. the taxes, etc, but...

To fly a C-xxxx airplane (Canadian registered), you must have a
Canadian License. For PPL priviledges, one can be acquired from
Transport Canada based
on your US Certificate (which needs to be current, so if I was
you I'd get a medical and flight review done before leaving the US).

For Commercial flying, you'd need to go through all the hoops.
(Canadian Medical, Written, Flight Test...)

As for the airplane, I think it will be much simpler to leave
it US registered than trying to switch to Canadian Registration.
(About the only inconvenience for private operation would be
having to take it to an FAA A&P/IA for the annual.)
Although it is somewhat involved, it is possible for a flying
school to lease a US registered aircraft and then operate it
on their rental fleet. FCI, which is based in St. Catherines
and Pheonix AZ does this with some of their aircraft. I know
because the boss in St. Catherines complains that Transport
charges him $1000 every time he does it.

Good luck with it, rick

Old January 23rd 05, 09:42 PM

Seems to me that a US-registered airplane can only be in
Canada for up to 90 days in any calendar year. Might be an issue for
you.
Duty on a used airplane? First I've heard of it. GST (Federal
tax) and any applicable provincal taxes would apply. Our government
likes to tax us to death.

Dan

Old January 23rd 05, 11:06 PM

There is no duty or taxes on personal property - including private
aircraft when you move to Canada. See
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P144_5246

Depending on the province, there will be normal "vehicle like"
registration fees - just like in US.

Old January 24th 05, 01:28 AM
Drew Dalgleish

On 23 Jan 2005 15:06:31 -0800, wrote:

There is no duty or taxes on personal property - including private
aircraft when you move to Canada. See
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P144_5246

Depending on the province, there will be normal "vehicle like"
registration fees - just like in US.

I've never paid or for that matter heard of provincial registration
fees for planes. Aviation in Canada is federally regulated. One extra
fee you will have to pay is the nav Canada $55 service charge anually
Old January 24th 05, 01:54 AM

I think Dude will be releived to know the main point: NO DUTY OR TAXES.
In SD here
they charge minimal annual registration fees. This may not be the case
for the
provinces. But we are talking about trivial issues now ($55/year)
compared to Jay's duty and tax rumour scare.

Old January 24th 05, 02:29 AM
Frank Ch. Eigler

writes:

There is no duty or taxes on personal property - including private
aircraft when you move to Canada. See
http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/E/pub/cp/...html#P144_5246

But in fact that page directly mentions the possibility of provincial
sales taxes on such vehicles. It merely excludes *customs duty* on
private aircraft.

For a Canadian resident, I am under the impression that buying an
N-registered plane for import to Canada would require payment of
PST+GST, just like importing any ordinary merchandise. It is likely
that there are some exemptions for people who are bring goods along
incidentally while changing residence, but for this kind of detail you
should retain a professional.

- FChE
Old January 24th 05, 03:58 AM

Frank,

Read the web page title: "Settling in Canada"
Its talking about individuals wanting to enter Canada for residency.
Not about Canadian residents wanting to import goods from outside
Canada. There is no duty or tax on personal property of people
immigrating into Canada. I knew of several US imigrants into
Canada and that is generally the case.
Is that so hard to understand?

Could Canada Build Charles Talleyrand Military Aviation 22 July 11th 04 10:05 PM
Enroute charts valid for use in Canada? Andrew Sarangan Instrument Flight Rules 3 June 3rd 04 06:34 PM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 08:08 AM
French block airlift of British troops to Basra Michael Petukhov Military Aviation 202 October 24th 03 06:48 PM
Reflections on first trip to Canada from US Mike & Janet Larke Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 9th 03 12:57 AM