Look at that Cherokee go

Old May 10th 07, 05:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Look at that Cherokee go

made a valiant attempt at silver distance/altitude today. managed to
wrangle a towpilot and got a launch about 2 PM. altitude and the 50
km (w/1% rule factored) were the goal. I had done the math and knew
that from a 2000 foot tow at Ames a flight to Grinnel Regional Airport
would be sufficient for the badge. So I alerted the crew that I would
set out that way. The flight was pretty uneventful. I never really
got below 4000 AGL until I got to the airport and worked some nice
lift in the 5-700 fpm range. didnt quite make cloudbase at my highest
altitude of around 7000 msl. I made sure to fly conservatively and
keep the altitude up, as this was one of my last chances to get the
silver badge out of the way so I could fly the Region 7 Sports contest
at the end of the month. After a nice landing in Grinnel I pulled the
barograph out to look at it and it was messed up. GRRrRRRrrRRR.
another silver flight dashed by the stupid barograph. I swear this
badge is more about having either a) the bling to buy a datalogger or
b) the patience to deal with a barograph. so long story short the
trace was worthless. seems the paper rubbed and stopped the drum from
turning and thats all she wrote. to add insult to injury, Paul Remde
called me 10 minutes after landing to notify me I was off the waiting
list and in the contest. I said OK but ive still got to finish
Silver, will let you know by the end of the week. So the BLIPMAPs
look good for tomorrow as well. I think im going to try to head
north, and im taking no fewer than 2 barographs to make sure that one
of them works. Will report back...

Old May 10th 07, 02:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ray Lovinggood

Cherokee Driver:

Nice Flight! But for those damned instrument thingies!
At least you should know that you aren't the first
to make a successful flight, only to find out afterwards
that the baro failed (or the pilot forgot to turn on
the baro, or the pilot forgot to properly declare the
flight as flown in the whiz-bang electrical digital
gps thingie.)

You'll have the badges soon!

Ray Lovinggood

Old May 10th 07, 02:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Clint

I know a guy who did a 1000km flight in an ASH25mi - only to have it
regected because the engine noise indicator recording had not been
acctivated in the logger.

Clinton
LAK 12

Old May 10th 07, 02:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
chipsoars

On May 10, 9:44 am, Clint wrote:
I know a guy who did a 1000km flight in an ASH25mi - only to have it
regected because the engine noise indicator recording had not been
acctivated in the logger.

Clinton
LAK 12

Good going, but it is better than doing a 5 hour on a hot miserable
day in a 1-26 and finding out that the thing wasn't turned on. The
details are sometimes as difficult as the task.

Chip F.

Old May 10th 07, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
toad

On May 10, 9:54 am, chipsoars wrote:
On May 10, 9:44 am, Clint wrote:

I know a guy who did a 1000km flight in an ASH25mi - only to have it
regected because the engine noise indicator recording had not been
acctivated in the logger.

Clinton
LAK 12

Good going, but it is better than doing a 5 hour on a hot miserable
day in a 1-26 and finding out that the thing wasn't turned on. The
details are sometimes as difficult as the task.

Chip F.

Yeah,

After doing my silver altitude using a barograph. I made 1 attempt
for the 50km flight using a camera and immediately bought a Colibri.
Just so much simpler. So much fiddleycrap before the flight, I was
exhausted before launch.

Todd
3S

Old May 10th 07, 06:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Nyal Williams

Keep at it! We're pulling for you; you'll have so
much more to be proud of than you would if you did
it in a 45:1 with electronics hanging all over the
cockpit (er- Box Office). I'm most proud of my early
badges done in 24:1 gliders without radios and batteries.

Old May 10th 07, 10:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

oh yes i will keep going. today cloud base was at 9000 AGL, and there
wasnt a towpilot to be found... maybe i can work something out
tomorrow. otherwise there will be no region 7 for me. the flying is
the easy part...too bad the 1-26 contest was so early or id hop the
clubs ship up and take it to Chilhowee. dont need no stinkin silver
badge...