Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

Old August 30th 06, 08:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Darkwing

Default Hawker vs. Glider Midair - with photo!

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

DW

Old August 30th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
.Blueskies.

"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote in message ...
: http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION
:
: ----------------------------------------------
: DW
:
:

wow, good thing the glider guy was wearing a parachute...

Old August 30th 06, 10:27 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Kingfish

What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of 16,000ft? Isn't that
a tad close to the Class A?

Old August 30th 06, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Kingfish schrieb:

What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of 16,000ft?

Probably breathing oxygen and enjoying his freedom to fly.

Isn't that a tad close to the Class A?

It's outside of class A.

Stefan
Old August 30th 06, 10:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_1_]

"Kingfish" wrote in message
ups.com...

What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of 16,000ft?

Probably sucking oxygen.

Isn't that a tad close to the Class A?

So what?

Old August 30th 06, 10:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ron Natalie

Kingfish wrote:
What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of 16,000ft? Isn't that
a tad close to the Class A?

Flying. What makes you think gliders can't or shouldn't be that high?
We have a word for tad close to the class A, we call it class E airspace
and it ain't reserved for bizjets.

I'll also give you a clue. Gliders can get authorization and do fly
in class A airspace as well.

What we apparently have here (from preliminary data) is a massive
failure of see-and-avoid on the behalf of both parties.

Old August 30th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Orval Fairbairn

In article ,
"Darkwing" theducksmail"AT"yahoo.com wrote:

http://www.nevadaappeal.com/article/...0025/-1/REGION

DW

It sounds as if the pilot of the jet is in a "whole heap o' trouble!"

1. Failure to yield right-of-way.
2. At-fault midair.

I am glad that the glider pilot is safe, as well as the pax in the jet.
Old August 30th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Stefan

Ron Natalie schrieb:

What we apparently have here (from preliminary data) is a massive
failure of see-and-avoid on the behalf of both parties.

Agreed. But, while no glider pilot I know would insist on his right: The
glider had the right of way.

Stefan
Old August 30th 06, 10:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Ron Natalie wrote:
Kingfish wrote:
What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of 16,000ft? Isn't that
a tad close to the Class A?

Flying. What makes you think gliders can't or shouldn't be that high?
We have a word for tad close to the class A, we call it class E airspace
and it ain't reserved for bizjets.

I'll also give you a clue. Gliders can get authorization and do fly
in class A airspace as well.

What we apparently have here (from preliminary data) is a massive
failure of see-and-avoid on the behalf of both parties.

There are a couple of good threads concerning this at
rec.aviation.soaring

Ben Jeffrey

Old August 30th 06, 10:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

"Kingfish" wrote:
What is a glider doing up at an oxygen altitude of
16,000ft? Isn't that a tad close to the Class A?

Both are quite common for gliders. They take oxygen and wear parachutes
when they head out in search of thermals. Why would 2000 feet under
Class A be a problem?

Midair near Minden Fred Soaring 52 September 1st 06 11:41 AM
Cloud Flying Shawn Knickerbocker Soaring 48 August 30th 06 07:21 AM
Refinish a Glider in Europe Jim Culp Soaring 0 November 18th 05 04:00 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
Newbie seeking glider purchase advice Ted Wagner Soaring 19 January 2nd 04 07:00 PM