Is it colder at the approach end of the runway?

Old April 2nd 07, 05:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell

Default Is it colder at the approach end of the runway?

"Kev" wrote in message
oups.com...
On Apr 2, 12:09 pm, "Robert M. Gary" wrote:
I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

It seems logical.

In New York City, it's always 6-8 degrees warmer at night than the
suburbs, supposedly because of the heat held by the buildings.

Yeah, that almost sounds like a pork barrel project to me. I would think
there was tons of information on that subject already stuffing their file
cabnets.

Old April 2nd 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Robert M. Gary wrote:
On Apr 2, 8:25 am, wrote:
Chris W wrote:
My dad drives along the south side of OKC to work every day and his OAT
in his car always goes a few degrees colder around the where the
extended centerline for the runways would intersect the road. Then it
goes right back up after he is through that area. He thinks this is
because the airplanes are descending from very cold air and bringing
down some of it with them. He has noted that this isn't always the case
but it often is. You would think most of the traffic would be landing
from the north since our winds are mostly from the south, but it seems
like I see a lot of traffic coming in from the south, maybe because it
is easier for the traffic from DFW to just come strait in.
Anyway, any one here think it is really the case that the planes are
causing the temperature to be lower on the approach end of the runway?
I guess if he monitored the ATIS frequency to find out which runway was
active when he drives by every day, he would have a better idea.

I doubt it.

If airplanes were having an effect on air temperature, I would expect
it would be warmer from all the engine heat, just as freeways are
warmer then the adjacent area.

Most likely it is due to the local arrangement of "stuff" such as
asphalt, concrete, trees, grass, buildings, etc.

I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

They are doing research on "global warming".

One of the objections to global warming data is that much of it is
from cities and the contention by many is that cities are hotter mostly
because they are asphalt and concrete, not because the Earth is warming.

The same objection applies to temperature data from airports.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 2nd 07, 05:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Robert M. Gary wrote:

I live near Sacramento where we have long periods of 100+ degree
temps. The gov't has been doing research here on the affect of asphalt
and roofs (not sure why) on temps. They fly a plane overhead in the
afternoon with sensitive heat detecting equipment. They seem to
believe the city is much hotter simply because of the pavement and the
roofs.

-Robert

They
re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common knowledge.

Old April 2nd 07, 06:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jose

re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common knowledge.

Well, sometimes things that are common knowledge are incorrect.

Jose
--
Get high on gasoline: fly an airplane.
Old April 2nd 07, 07:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Jose wrote:
re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common
knowledge.

Well, sometimes things that are common knowledge are incorrect.

Jose

Jose, you sound like your buddy MX. When I returned from luch today I walked
from a concrete parking lot over about 10 feet of grass to enter the
building. I did not need airborne equipment to tell me it was warmer over
the concrete than it was over the grass.

Old April 2nd 07, 07:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

On Apr 2, 11:13 am, "Gig 601XL Builder" wrDOTgiaconaATsuddenlink.net
wrote:
Jose wrote:
re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common
knowledge.

Well, sometimes things that are common knowledge are incorrect.

Jose

Jose, you sound like your buddy MX. When I returned from luch today I walked
from a concrete parking lot over about 10 feet of grass to enter the
building. I did not need airborne equipment to tell me it was warmer over
the concrete than it was over the grass.

hehehe, I'm sure that's true. My guess is that they are trying to
quantify the effect, maybe even come up with a formula to predict the
effect on temps by cities. They also mentioned that some roofing
material appears to bring more heat than others and that it may affect
the cities temps.

-Robert

Old April 2nd 07, 07:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Robert M. Gary

wrote:
Jose wrote:
re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common
knowledge.

Well, sometimes things that are common knowledge are incorrect.

Jose

Jose, you sound like your buddy MX. When I returned from luch today I walked
from a concrete parking lot over about 10 feet of grass to enter the
building. I did not need airborne equipment to tell me it was warmer over
the concrete than it was over the grass.

BTW: My original interest in the story was thinking about the lucky
pilot who got the job to fly a Citation (as I recall) around in
circles for 4 hours/day. Where do I sign up?

-robert

Old April 2nd 07, 08:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Jose wrote:
re spending money to figure that out. I thought that was common
knowledge.

Well, sometimes things that are common knowledge are incorrect.

Jose

Jose, you sound like your buddy MX. When I returned from luch today I walked
from a concrete parking lot over about 10 feet of grass to enter the
building. I did not need airborne equipment to tell me it was warmer over
the concrete than it was over the grass.

Well, yeah, but I wouldn't use that to make the decision as to whether
or not huge piles of money should be spent to combat global warming.

I think we need something from traceable, calibrated instruments with
error bars on the numbers, which is what hopefully the airplane is
getting.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old April 2nd 07, 10:33 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Vaughn Simon

"Marco Leon" wrote in message

Air does not "stick" to an airframe enough to change the ambient temperature
of a given area no matter how small.

No, but everyone who has ever studied for their Private written knows that
the wake of an aircraft is accelerated down. So the passage of an aircraft
would cause a very temporary downward flow of air. Would the effect be enough
to noticeably change local temperatures? I doubt it; but who the hell am I?

Old April 2nd 07, 10:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"Chris W" wrote in message
My dad drives along the south side of OKC to work every day and his OAT in
his car always goes a few degrees colder around the where the extended
centerline for the runways would intersect the road. Then it goes right
back up after he is through that area. He thinks this is because the
airplanes are descending from very cold air and bringing down some of it
with them. He has noted that this isn't always the case but it often is.
You would think most of the traffic would be landing from the north since
our winds are mostly from the south, but it seems like I see a lot of
traffic coming in from the south, maybe because it is easier for the
traffic from DFW to just come strait in.

If I were to guess (and it's just a guess) I would suspect that the long
open space along the runway allows the wind to blow a little faster (less
drag from buildings and stuff) and pulls down a little more cool air from
higher altitudes.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

A WHAT Ran off the End of our Runway?? Marco Leon Piloting 10 May 17th 06 02:46 AM
Runway ID Lakeview Bill Piloting 55 October 18th 05 12:53 AM
Runway needs of F4U and F-4 ???? vincent p. norris Naval Aviation 8 October 6th 05 07:18 PM
Completing the Non-precision approach as a Visual Approach John Clonts Instrument Flight Rules 45 November 20th 03 05:20 AM
Runway in Use Sniper@SDU Simulators 11 October 8th 03 10:57 AM