Catastrophic Decompression; Small Place Solo

Old January 2nd 04, 01:40 PM
Tom Sixkiller

Pardon?

Tom

"Jim Weir" wrote in message
Would you mind keeping your gratuitous comments on the obvious to

yourself?

Jim

-Yes, carbon fiber is an excellent RF absorber, particularly at GPS
-frequencies.

http://www.rst-engr.com

Old January 2nd 04, 03:22 PM
khobar

Ralph Nesbitt wrote in message
m...

"khobar" wrote in message
C J Campbell wrote in message
Most movies use physics from an alternate universe. Bullets flash when

they
hit things (even wood!). People outrun shock waves from explosions.

The
MAC
10 holds an infinite amount of ammo. You can poison a whole airplane

by
contaminating the pressurization and/or the oxygen system.

Alternatively,
the airplane pressurization will keep a plane filled with air even

under
water. Small aircraft routinely outclimb and run into airliners.

As for Goldfinger, I suppose he *could* have hit the elevator and

jammed
it
when he was sucked out. But, really, why let the facts get in the way

of
good story?

An interesting take on the situation especially in light of the fact

that
there has been a case of a cabin window being shattered by engine debris
resulting in a PAX being blown out through that window.

Paul Nixon

The "Ballistics Profile" of the most powerful hand gun "Pales in
comparison/is infatisimal compared to that of debris from an "Uncontained
Engine Failure".

A .22 pales in comparison to a cannonball, yet both are deadly under the
right circumstances.

What bullets, if any, possess sufficient energy to penetrate an airliner
window and would that airliner window spider or would said bullet simply
leave a small hole? We already know that an adult PAX will, apparently, fit
through a typical airliner window.

Paul Nixon

Old January 2nd 04, 04:07 PM
C J Campbell

| What bullets, if any, possess sufficient energy to penetrate an airliner
| window and would that airliner window spider or would said bullet simply
| leave a small hole? We already know that an adult PAX will, apparently,
fit
| through a typical airliner window.

We do not really know any such thing. If the passenger is bigger than the
window he simply cannot be pulled through it any more than he can sucked up
through a vacuum cleaner hose.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:13 PM
Ron Natalie

"C J Campbell" wrote in message ...

We do not really know any such thing. If the passenger is bigger than the
window he simply cannot be pulled through it any more than he can sucked up
through a vacuum cleaner hose.

Passengers are pretty flexible. Some might plug up the hole, others will
go through holes that looked like they ought not to fit through.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:17 PM
C J Campbell

"Ralph Nesbitt" wrote in message
. ..
| I believe C J Campbell posted he could find only 1 reference to an
explosive
| decompression incident involveing commercial pax A/C.

No, I never made such a post. I have heard of all the incidents you
mentioned.

The incidents you cite generally involve the sudden loss of a door or hatch.
Passengers in the immediate vicinity can get sucked out, although not
through a window. In fact, I question if the loss of a window is enough to
cause an explosive decompression as opposed to a rapid decompression.

Aircraft have been lost or severely damaged by the loss of a door or hatch
as the cover and other debris can strike control surfaces, hydraulic lines
or engines.

In any event, surviving passengers on the subject aircraft did not swell up
and explode, have their eardrums burst, or any other such nonsense.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:20 PM
C J Campbell

"khobar" wrote in message

| http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/3039583.stm

Hysterical. These guys could not find one single fact to support their
idiocy, so they use the movies for a reference. No doubt they will be
worrying about bullets containing compressed air that can cause a human to
inflate and explode, too. What incredible silliness.

Old January 2nd 04, 04:25 PM
C J Campbell

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...

| "C J Campbell" wrote in message
|
| We do not really know any such thing. If the passenger is bigger than
the
| window he simply cannot be pulled through it any more than he can sucked
up
| through a vacuum cleaner hose.
|
| Passengers are pretty flexible. Some might plug up the hole, others
will
| go through holes that looked like they ought not to fit through.

The windows are surprisingly large, too. I have no doubt that a small person
could get through one, especially if his seatbelt is not properly fastened.
However, you are not going to lose a whole planeload of passengers this way.
Given a choice, I would shoot a hijacker with the off chance of killing an
innocent bystander rather than allow the hijacker to drive the plane into a
crowded building.

Old January 2nd 04, 05:29 PM
Ralph Nesbitt

"khobar" wrote in message
[...]

I have no experience with "A/C Window Bullet Impact". Have seen "Spidering
due Debris" from "uncontained engine failures. Have seen, dealt with the
aftermath of encounters between fighter type A/C & large birds such as
"Buzzards, Eagles, or other large carrion Feeders.

For some reason the "Canopy of F-4's" were subject to shatter, disappear
upon impact with a large bird. For some reason the remains of "Buzzards",
especially, tended to remain in the cockpit. Makes for a smelly tedious
situation to safety ejection seats, especially those with "Banana Links,
check crew for injuries, then safely remove them from A/C.

The "Windshields of Southern 232", a DC-9, were broken out along with
"Catastrophic Engine Damage" by hail at altitude resulting in a catastrophic
incident. Many "Hail Stones of ~3" Diameter were in the cockpit when we
arrived on scene within ~ 7 minuets of the incident. There were substantial
"Dents/Dings" in the rear cockpit bulkhead from the "Hail Stones".
Ralph Nesbitt
Professional FD/CFR/ARFF Type

Old January 2nd 04, 05:46 PM
khobar

C J Campbell wrote in message

| What bullets, if any, possess sufficient energy to penetrate an airliner
| window and would that airliner window spider or would said bullet simply
| leave a small hole? We already know that an adult PAX will, apparently,
fit
| through a typical airliner window.

We do not really know any such thing. If the passenger is bigger than the
window he simply cannot be pulled through it any more than he can sucked

up
through a vacuum cleaner hose.

http://aviation-safety.net/database/1973/731103-0.htm

"As a result, the cabin depressurized and one cabin window, which was struck
by a fragment of the fan assembly, separated from the fuselage. The
passenger who was sitting next to that window was forced through the opening
and ejected from the aircraft."

http://www.super70s.com/Super70s/Tech/Aviation/Disasters/73-11-03(National).
asp

"According to a witness, the occupant of the seat was partially forced
through the window opening and was temporarily retained in this position by
his seatbelt. Efforts to pull the passenger back into the airplane by
another passenger were unsuccessful, and the occupant of seat 17H was
subsequently forced entirely through the cabin window."

Paul Nixon

Old January 2nd 04, 05:51 PM
Ralph Nesbitt

"C J Campbell" wrote in message

As I stated previously MS/OE, my news reader, crashed as I was responding to
a post regarding "Explosive Decompression Incidents".

Hopefully Mr. Campbell will accept my apologies for improperly attributing
the post to him.