Nearly had my life terminated today

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old September 2nd 05, 01:54 AM
Michelle P

Default Nearly had my life terminated today

Hi all,
While I was on my way home this evening from Flying Traffic survey. I
was nearly run over by a Baron driver coming out of Stafford Airport
(RMN) on his way to Frederick (FDK).
He called Potomac approach saying level 3200. I was cruising at 3000
between Stafford, Virginia near Quantico (NYG) and Culpeper (CJR). I
needed to go around the Quantico Restricted areas (R-6608ABC). They were
all hot, one to 10,000.

This is one of my usual routes to/from work. I have flown it 50 maybe
100 times without any problems.
He came up at my 7 o'clock and departed at the 1 o'clock. He said he
never saw me. He passed directly over my head by about 200 feet. He was
so non-chalant about the whole thing. I immediately reported a near
mid-air. Once on the ground I called the supervisor and they called me
back. They are sending me the forms. A NASA form is being filled out
tonight.
To compound the problem the controller was having trouble getting the
Baron radar identified. His transponder did not start working until he
"recycled it" (turned it from standby to Mode C, I suspect). By now it
was too late he had passed me. All the controller could tell me was I
had another airplane in the area.

I live to fly another day.

TCAS anyone? ok so it would not have helped since he did not have his
transponder on.

Michelle

Today, I became a pilot... Jase Vanover Piloting 8 August 8th 05 03:14 PM
I can teach anyone how to get what they want out of life. reynArd Simulators 0 November 20th 04 10:57 AM
I can teach anyone how to get what they want out of life. reynArd Home Built 0 November 20th 04 10:55 AM
Life insurance DJA Soaring 4 November 25th 03 08:25 AM
"Target for Today" & "Thunderbolt" WWII Double Feature at Zeno'sDrive-In Zeno Aerobatics 0 August 2nd 03 07:31 PM