PowerFlarm mounting question, and an idea for mounting devices

Old October 22nd 11, 12:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
brianDG303[_2_]

Default PowerFlarm mounting question, and an idea for mounting devices

Hi everyone,
I have a Powerflarm coming and was reviewing the mounting options. On
the Cumulas site Paul says: "I strongly recommend the PowerFLARM
External Display unless you have a free 57 mm instrument hole at the
very top of your instrument panel." I don't and so I am looking for
input into where I might mount the display.

Here is the plan, I currently have 3 varios. I plan on removing the
Winter, moving the Borgelt and it's battery down to the Winter
position to used as a back-up incase of battery or other failure, and
to install the 57MM butterfly where the Borgelt is now, next to the
Tru-Track. I have assumed that that will be high enough and central
enough to my line of vision to work well. I am wondering if PF users
feel like that won't work.

As an aside the mounting of the MiniMap might be of interest. I built
up a swing-away mount using a home made bracket and a suction-cup
iPhone mount from ebay ($5) that I VHB taped to the MiniMap mounting
frame. I have never liked RAM mounts myself and this system solves
several issues. It allows the MiniMap to be moved inboard while I'm
getting into the glider so I don't bang into with my leg or it can be
swung fully out to face away from the glider to program the MiniMap
from outside the cockpit. In flight it blocks most of the altimeter
but I link the MiniMap QNH so it feeds accurate altitude to the
display vario. That way I get altitude from the vario at the same
time as vario information and don't look at the altimeter much
anyway. If the MiniMap fails I can swing it back to expose the
altimeter. Works really well.

I have uploaded photos at:

http://tinyurl.com/6hfk3ku

Thank you all,
Brian
Old October 22nd 11, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JS

Nice mount for the Mini Map, Brian!
Consider moving the turn and bank down and keep the B40 where it is?
Jim
Old October 23rd 11, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Rex Mayes

Brian,
Your instrument panel cover is a good location for the portable
PowerFlarm. It is simple,and the best location. The downside is that
you would have a bit mor obcuration of the forward view but not much
more that the Compass causes.
I like the KISS model.
Good luck.
Rex

Mounting 396 Paul kgyy Piloting 40 August 24th 07 08:47 AM
Mounting 396 Paul kgyy Owning 30 August 24th 07 08:47 AM
Instrument mounting question Rob Turk Home Built 4 July 19th 04 10:33 PM
Mounting my GPS Charles Talleyrand Owning 8 November 19th 03 12:51 PM
Tecumseh Engine Mounting Question jlauer Home Built 7 November 16th 03 02:51 AM