PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available

Old May 10th 12, 02:52 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Remde

Default PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM Remote Display Manuals Available

Hi,

FLARM has made the preliminary manuals for PowerFLARM Brick and PowerFLARM
Remote Displays available he

Manuals and Software Updates
http://powerflarm.us/manuals-softwar...release-notes/

The first Brick units will be used and tested at the Mifflin contest.

It is my understanding that hardware changes were made to the Brick to
improve the range. If they work well at Mifflin, existing Portable units
will need hardware upgrades.

It looks like we are finally in the home stretch in regard to PowerFLARM
availability - which is great news.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Old May 15th 12, 03:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Monday, May 14, 2012 6:31:57 PM UTC-5, Paul Remde wrote:
"Dixie Sierra" wrote in message

Updateshttp://powerflarm.us/manuals-software-updates-and-release-notes/

The first Brick units will be used and tested at the Mifflin contest.

It is my understanding that hardware changes were made to the Brick to
improve the range. If they work well at Mifflin, existing Portable units
will need hardware upgrades.

It looks like we are finally in the home stretch in regard to PowerFLARM
availability - which is great news.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

What's the latest on the cost of the Butterfly display and will it
display Mode C and Mode S traffic? For that matter, what's the status
of Mode C, Mode S in Power Flarm?

I'm all in favor in PowerFlarm. However, contest flying is a small
portion of my overall flying. Awareness of glider threats is
important. But in my environment, awareness of GA threats is equally
important.

It may be a while before PowerFlarm is all that we want it to be? But
what is it now with respect to Mode C and Mode S threat display?

thanks,
Doug

__________________________

Hi Doug,

The PowerFLARM software does support the display of FLARM, ADS-B and Mode
S/C traffic.

The remote displays that are provided by FLARM for use with the PowerFLARM
Brick do display all those traffic types.

Best Regards,

Paul Remde
Cumulus Soaring, Inc.

Note that PowerFLARM does NOT support TIS-B data transmitted by ADS-B ground stations, which is very disappointing.
Old May 15th 12, 02:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Peter von Tresckow

wrote:
[...]

From what I understand is that you only get TIS-B if you are ADS-B out. That
kind of surprised me as well when I found out about that bit of info, but
that's the way it works.

Peter

Old May 15th 12, 10:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Three Uniform

I have been reading the manuals and I noticed that there is no audio
output on the brick (like there is on the portable)
The sound is generated autonomously by the display unit.
The documentation is sparse. I also could not find any info on an
audio output or sound spec of the display units.

This is relevant for people who intend to route the audio output
signal into their sound system, e.g. to their headphones (motor
gliders)
Also the bright red LED solution that Bumper wrote about (controlling
a LED with the audio signal) will not be possible with the brick.
3U
Old May 16th 12, 04:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

The

wrote:
[...]

From what I understand is that you only get TIS-B if you are ADS-B out. That
kind of surprised me as well when I found out about that bit of info, but
that's the way it works.

Peter

ADS-B ground stations only transmit TIS-B data in response to receiving an ADS-B OUT signal from an aircraft. The TIS-B data only includes aircraft within the vicinity of the ADS-B OUT equipped aircraft.

However, even if you are ADS-B Out equipped (e.g. with a Trig 21 transponder and a GPS source), and the ADS-B ground station is broadcasting TIS-B data, PowerFLARM does not handle this data. That is a MAJOR shortcoming of this device.
Old May 16th 12, 05:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

wrote:
[...]

From what I understand is that you only get TIS-B if you are ADS-B out. That
kind of surprised me as well when I found out about that bit of info, but
that's the way it works.

Peter

Actually its more than that. Yes you need ADS-B data-out, and you need that ADS-B data-out set up properly to also flag your aircraft can receive ADS-B data-in for the ADS-B ground stations to broadcast TIS-B data describing aircraft flying "near" your aircraft. But even with all that the PowerFLARM simply does not implement TIS-B--it does not decode TIS-B format messages. That reflects its European roots, TIS-B is a USA only thing. How important if at all this is is to be seen. Getting ADS-B data-out in most aircraft, including gliders, is currently such a pain in the ass that all this is mostly academic.

And remember you only get TIS-B if those threat aircraft are transponder equipped and flying under SSR radar coverage and TIS-B services are deployed for where you are flying (ie. the radar facilities are providing TIB data to the ADS-B ground infrastructure. For glider applications this is a lot less interesting amount of airspace than where PCAS works today, but at least TIS-B does provide direction data if you happen to ba in an area where it works and you have all the crap needed to receive it.

In the big picture TIS-B was supposed to encourage early adoption of ADS-B/help during a transition to ADS-B technology. But it is unclear whether TIS-B will see much use in GA aircraft at all.... if we don't get much ADS-B adoption soon (pretty much stalled by the FAA's own STC requirements etc.) and then get to ~2020 with a sudden rush of forced ADS-B data-out installations then the TIS-B data won't be that important, as there just won't be a gradual transition to worry about and instead traffic systems will rely more on ADS-B direct and ADS-R. (and importantly I suspect ADS-B direct will dominate since I suspect 1090ES data-out deployment is going to dwarf UAT data-out). The PowerFLARM does ADS-B direct today (e.g. you see airliners and any GA aircraft with 1090ES data-out and via PCAS you see (range and altitude but no direction) all Mode C and Mode S aircraft (as long as something (SSR radar or TCAS/TCAD etc.) is interrogating their transponders).

All this is USA specific. In Europe things look much much better and like they will remain 1090ES only. I expect the FAA's deployment of ADS-B based technology to fill case studies in future of how not to deploy/encourage adoption of new technology.

Darryl
Old May 16th 12, 12:28 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:02:20 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I expect the FAA's deployment of ADS-B based technology to fill
case studies in future of how not to deploy/encourage adoption
of new technology.

Actually, it is already a case study.
FAA's Don Walker, in his Reno SSA-convention presentation,
said FAA expects no more than 15% of GA to adopt UAT.
It is already a dead duck.
Of course, you can buy a great receive-only UAT gadget for your
iPad to get weather - not what FAA expected or planned, but the
obvious marketplace/technology result of what they did...

What a giant waste of our tax dollars...

From Mifflin, where they might fly today,
See ya, Dave "YO electric"
Old May 16th 12, 07:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 4:28:50 AM UTC-7, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 12:02:20 AM UTC-4, Darryl Ramm wrote:
I expect the FAA's deployment of ADS-B based technology to fill
case studies in future of how not to deploy/encourage adoption
of new technology.

Actually, it is already a case study.
FAA's Don Walker, in his Reno SSA-convention presentation,
said FAA expects no more than 15% of GA to adopt UAT.
It is already a dead duck.
Of course, you can buy a great receive-only UAT gadget for your
iPad to get weather - not what FAA expected or planned, but the
obvious marketplace/technology result of what they did...

What a giant waste of our tax dollars...

From Mifflin, where they might fly today,
See ya, Dave "YO electric"

And for that 15% adoption the FAA stuffed its dual-link stupidity down out throats...

And there are already better (e.g. as good or better WX products, better coverage) Satellite WX products available for relatively low cost. Good job FAA, using our taxpayer funds to compete with privately funded innovation.

Darryl
Old May 16th 12, 07:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ursus

Note that PowerFLARM does NOT support TIS-B data transmitted by ADS-B ground stations, which is very disappointing.

TIS-B will be discontinued. Investing in a soon to be obsolete
technology is not our top priority…
Nevertheless, we never said we would *not* do it, the PowerFLARM
hardware which currently ships is capable of doing it, but we prefer
to start as simple as possible.
We don’t see it as much of a shortcoming as you *will* get all the
aircraft which are on TIS-B already displayed (just non-directional)
plus you get more (aircraft that TIS-B cannot or does not feel like
broadcasting)
Old May 18th 12, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann[_2_]

On Wednesday, May 16, 2012 1:37:31 PM UTC-5, ursus wrote:
Note that PowerFLARM does NOT support TIS-B data transmitted by ADS-B ground stations, which is very disappointing.

TIS-B will be discontinued. Investing in a soon to be obsolete
technology is not our top priority…
Nevertheless, we never said we would *not* do it, the PowerFLARM
hardware which currently ships is capable of doing it, but we prefer
to start as simple as possible.
We don’t see it as much of a shortcoming as you *will* get all the
aircraft which are on TIS-B already displayed (just non-directional)
plus you get more (aircraft that TIS-B cannot or does not feel like
broadcasting)

TIS-B is NOT going to be discontinued. Maybe sometime after 2020 when all aircraft are ADS-B equipped, TIS-B will no longer be useful and be phased out, but until then it is a standard part of the US ADS-B deployment.

The non-directional PCAS functionality that is currently implemented in PowerFLARM is extremely primitive compared to the information that is available from TIS-B. For those of us who recreationally fly near or under Class B airspace, accurately seeing the location of all other GA aircraft in my vicinity is a BIG deal. For a glider pilot (and even a GA pilot), PowerFLARM would be a very compelling option if it supported TIS-B and there was a reasonably low cost way to transmit an ADS-B OUT signal. Without TIS-B support, I have absolutely no interest in PowerFLARM; There currently are, lower cost TIS-B compatible solutions available from a variety of vendors (Navworx, SageTech, etc.).