Jantar Standard 2 & 3 handling

Old October 22nd 12, 03:44 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bryan Poehler

Default Jantar Standard 2 & 3 handling

I’d appreciate input on the slow speed handling of the Jantar Standard 2
& 3 models.

Of the Jantar Standard 1 model, Richard Johnson indicated in Soaring, July,
1979, that “In a turn, the Standard 1 wing in particular would drop its
inboard wing quite suddenly if a bit too much pro-turn rudder was applied
at stall, and a full spin could ensnare an unwary pilot quickly. This is a
less-than-good characteristic, but acceptable for properly experienced
pilots.” Richard goes on to say that he didn’t closely check the
Standard 2 model also tested because it was no longer available but
speculates that the Standard 2 stall characteristics might be improved
because of the later model’s different wing configuration (forward sweep
and higher mounting), albeit with the same airfoil.

Derek Piggott in Gliding Safety, 1991, says in making overall comments on
the Jantar Standard models, that “The general handling is
straightforward, the stall is similar to most glass two-seaters…”

All thoughts and experience will be valued,
Bryan

Old October 22nd 12, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Bryan-

I'm a relatively new owner of a Std Jantar 3 (about 15 flights so far). I have performed stalls in various configurations but have not spun it yet. Everything I've seen is very similar to the other gliders I've flow (ASK-21 and a Ka-7). If you're uncoordinated you'll tend to drop a wing, but it's nothing exciting or unexpected.

Hopefully others can post their experiences as well.
Old October 22nd 12, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Everyone I've talked to who's flown the 2 and 3 versions has found nothing particularly exciting about the low speed handling.

I've only flown a Standard 1 and it was quite different. When I flew it I noticed it would give very obvious signs that the stall was approaching (strong but not scary buffeting of the tail and the ASI needle would shake around due to turbulent air striking the tail mounted pitot) but there was only a few knots difference between flying happily to buffeting to stalling with a fair wing drop. I spun it deliberately a few times and found that compared to an L-13 it would be more nose down, would rotate a little faster but was very predictable and stable in a spin like the L-13. It did require deliberate forward movement of the stick to recover from the spin unlike the L-13 which would stop rotating with just full opposite rudder. I never got into an unintentional spin with it though, just a couple of wing drops when thermalling.

That said, even the particular Standard 1 I flew (which had rather eventful life) had flying characteristics that I would consider less than ideal but would not be a problem for anyone who is competent and safe flying something like an L-13 or L-23. Since the 2 and 3 seem to be more docile I would think it's quite suitable even if you've been trained in more docile two seaters like the twin Grobs.

Jantar Standard Canopy jmarc Soaring 9 August 22nd 17 04:13 AM
Jantar Standard 41b N41BZ dam zaw Soaring 4 May 5th 11 12:01 PM
WTB: Standard Jantar or ASW-19 Kevin Christner Soaring 2 January 9th 11 06:51 PM
Standard Jantar 48-3 & One-Man Assembly John[_27_] Soaring 6 July 20th 10 02:31 PM
Jantar Standard 3 Miguel Lavalle Soaring 9 November 19th 03 01:01 AM