Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace

Old February 14th 07, 08:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Owen[_4_]

Default Wichita Airspace Question and overlapping airspace

So, Wichita, Kansas seems to be blessed with a lot of airports and the
sectional chart looks pretty busy. To the east of Wichita Mid Continent
(ICT), there is Col. Jabara (towerless), Beech Factory (private field
w/ tower), McConnell AFB, etc.

McConnel's Class D just grazes Beech's towered field, which has no class
D marked for itself. Jabara's Class E surface area also appears to
graze Beech's field from the other side. In addition, the outer ring of
ICT's class C passes over Beech field. There are numerous smaller
airports within these areas as well.

The tower at Beech closes at quitting time (1730), but strangely its
CTAF is a different frequency than its tower. This CTAF is 122.7, which
adjacent Jabara also uses...perhaps to facilitate self coordination
between the two airports' patterns.

So, I recall that an airport with an operating tower requires pilots to
contact it within _ nm, even if there is no class D airspace depicted,
or if it is an operating tower within class E airspace. In practice,
how does this work with Jabara so close to Beech? And how closely does
neighboring McConnell work with Beech? McConnell's D ceiling is 3,900
although much of it lies in the outer ring of ICT's C which is from
2,700 to 5,300. Sounds like fun! Perhaps there are a lot of Letters of
Agreement in effect between the various facilities?

Old February 14th 07, 10:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Macklin

Wichita Approach handles Wichita, Newton (25 nm north and
Hutchinson (35 NM northwest). Unfortunately, with the
reduced number of civil flights at all the airports, there
is no conflict. Special traffic patterns are listed in the
AFD, it would be nice to have a VFR terminal chart that
covered from El Dorado, to Arkansas City, Anthony,
Hutchinson, Newton, etc. But the traffic count doesn't
justify it.

The old Cessna factory airport is just across the road from
McConnell AFB and under their glide path.
When the Beech tower is closed, you talk directly to ICT
departure for IFR release while on the ramp.

It gets busy when flying a Beechjet from ICT to BEC, you
have to have the whole flight picture in mind before
take-off from ICT, departing Beech and you will always turn
east and be vectored around the other airports, but going to
Beech from ICT will get you at or below 3,000, to the radio
tower just near Wichita State University, contact the tower
on right base /downwind.