Flying to Canada

Old July 9th 03, 08:09 PM
Rick Macklem

Default Flying to Canada

Guy Middleton ) wrote:
: In article ,
: David Megginson wrote:
: 2. Do not decelerate or start your descent below circuit altitude in
: the downwind; in Canada, you have to wait until you've begun the
: turn to crosswind, which sometimes makes for a slightly wider
: circuit.

: One instructor liked to slow down on the downwind; another likes to slow down
: when turning to base. I had assumed it was merely personal preference by the
: instructors.

The procedures in the AIP do not permit climbs or descents on downwind, but
I don't see anything about speed changes mentioned. (The only limitation I
know of is a CAR that states you are to slow below 200KIAS when within 10mi
of an aerodrome. There's an exception for aircraft that have a minimum safe
handling speed of over 200KIAS, as if that affects us:-)

Sounds like a good page, rick

Old July 10th 03, 12:42 AM
Guy Middleton

In article ,
Rick Macklem wrote:
Guy Middleton ) wrote:
: In article ,
: David Megginson wrote:
: 2. Do not decelerate or start your descent below circuit altitude in
: the downwind; in Canada, you have to wait until you've begun the
: turn to crosswind, which sometimes makes for a slightly wider
: circuit.

: One instructor liked to slow down on the downwind; another likes to slow down
: when turning to base. I had assumed it was merely personal preference by the
: instructors.

The procedures in the AIP do not permit climbs or descents on downwind, but
I don't see anything about speed changes mentioned. (The only limitation I
know of is a CAR that states you are to slow below 200KIAS when within 10mi
of an aerodrome. There's an exception for aircraft that have a minimum safe
handling speed of over 200KIAS, as if that affects us:-)

I looked in all my references, and they seem to agree.

I can see arguments for doing it both ways.

Delaying the speed change until the turn to base is a good idea -- keep your
speed up for as long as possible.

On the other hand, this takes coordination, because you're doing four things
almost at once -- slowing down, turning, calling the tower, and applying
flaps. Pretty tricky for us student pilots. :-)

Mountain flying instruction: McCall, Idaho, Colorado too! [email protected] General Aviation 0 March 27th 04 12:24 AM
Flying into Canada O. Sami Saydjari Owning 14 March 18th 04 12:23 AM
Flying into Canada Don Tuite Owning 2 March 16th 04 09:08 AM
FA: WEATHER FLYING: A PRACTICAL BOOK ON FLYING The Ink Company Aviation Marketplace 0 November 5th 03 01:07 AM
Flying from US to Canada Aarfy Owning 8 July 22nd 03 06:13 AM