Depression after Washing

Old June 27th 08, 05:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mxsmanic

Default Depression after Washing

Charles Talleyrand writes:

My kid and I just washed the plane. Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

It's a very expensive hobby.
Old June 27th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mxsmanic

Larry Dighera writes:

Not so. Sharing a plane among three or four pilot/owners makes it
affordable and fun.

That requires a great deal of trust in the other pilots/owners.
Old June 27th 08, 06:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Larry Dighera writes:

Not so. Sharing a plane among three or four pilot/owners makes it
affordable and fun.

That requires a great deal of trust in the other pilots/owners.

How would you know? You don't fly. You've never owned an airplane.
You've never dealt with other pilots as a pilot. Go stick your head back
up your ass where it does something useful, fjjuktjard.

Old June 27th 08, 06:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Buster Hymen

Mxsmanic wrote in
:

Charles Talleyrand writes:

My kid and I just washed the plane. Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

It's a very expensive hobby.

Only for life losers like you, Anthony.

Old June 27th 08, 07:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Charles Talleyrand

On Jun 26, 10:45 pm, "Mike" wrote:
"Charles Talleyrand" wrote in message

My kid and I just washed the plane. Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. Makes me want to sell and rent.

It's possible to restore old paint. You'd be surprised what you can polish
out. Older planes were actually painted with very high quality paint that
can be restored. Chips can be polished and filled with paint. There's not
much you can do with rust spots other than remove it and have the paint
matched, but it should at least be tended to before it gets worse. You can
either have all that done professionally or you can do it yourself. The
following web site would be a great place to start:

It's not old paint. The paint is probably only six years old. My car
is also six years old, but I know I can replace my car when ever I get
sick of it. Planes are not so easy to exchange, and I would just get
another old plane anyway. At least this one has very few non-cosmetic
squawks (dang nose wheel shimmy).

I could rent and save money and still fly the same amount, but then I
would not have pride of ownership. I have a $20,000 Cessna 150. It
flies just fine but the cosmetics just don't touch a $20,000 car.
This reduces the pride of ownership and makes me more likely to sell
and rent. Of course renting is a pain in the butt here (there is one
plane; everyone must share it).

-still sad
Old June 27th 08, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Larry Dighera

On Fri, 27 Jun 2008 06:21:31 +0200, Mxsmanic
wrote in :

Larry Dighera writes:

Not so. Sharing a plane among three or four pilot/owners makes it
affordable and fun.

That requires a great deal of trust in the other pilots/owners.

Why?

It requires that they be responsible adults, preferably business
people who can afford to own 1/3 of an aircraft.
Old June 27th 08, 09:18 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

Mxsmanic wrote in
news
Larry Dighera writes:

Not so. Sharing a plane among three or four pilot/owners makes it
affordable and fun.

That requires a great deal of trust in the other pilots/owners.

Whoosh

Bertie
Old June 27th 08, 02:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gene Seibel

On Jun 26, 5:22*pm, Charles Talleyrand wrote:
My kid and I just washed the plane. *Even after washing it, there are
still chips of paint missing, a bit of rust, a drip-stain of fuel, and
so on. *The panel looks like it has been modified every once in a
while since 1966. *My plane is relatively nice compared to the other
ones on the field, but it's still in worse cosmetic condition than my
car.

None of these problems is a safety issue, and none of them could be
fixed without spending significant time and/or money.

One of the reasons we own airplanes is pride of ownership.

This makes me sad. *Makes me want to sell and rent.

Our '66 is cosmetically challenged. Sometimes it depresses me for a
moment or two, but the second we start that takeoff run, nothing but
flying is on my mind. My money is going into hours in the air. That's
why I bought it. I notice that most of the people who have commented
about the condition, age, or speed of my airplanes don't even have one
and fly far less than I do or not at all.
--
Gene Seibel
Tales of flight - http://pad39a.com/gene/tales.html
Old June 27th 08, 04:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Gig 601Xl Builder

Charles Talleyrand wrote:

It's not old paint. The paint is probably only six years old. My car
is also six years old, but I know I can replace my car when ever I get
sick of it. Planes are not so easy to exchange, and I would just get
another old plane anyway. At least this one has very few non-cosmetic
squawks (dang nose wheel shimmy).

I could rent and save money and still fly the same amount, but then I
would not have pride of ownership. I have a $20,000 Cessna 150. It
flies just fine but the cosmetics just don't touch a $20,000 car.
This reduces the pride of ownership and makes me more likely to sell
and rent. Of course renting is a pain in the butt here (there is one
plane; everyone must share it).

-still sad

There's always the option to repaint.
Old June 27th 08, 06:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

On Jun 26, 10:45 pm, "Mike" wrote:
[...]

If the paint is only 6 years old, it probably used a clear coat system. It
can still be restored as it probably isn't old enough to have lost the clear
coat finish. Oxidation is fairly easy to deal with, it just takes a bit of
work. A good quality mechanical polisher and the no-how to use it can make
a tremendous difference.