Training Birdy the Budgy.

Old July 5th 08, 10:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

Default Training Birdy the Budgy.

Son wanted a pet bird, off to the budgy store
goes he and mom. It was young and intelligent,
so I held it my hand snuggly for about an hour
a day and trained it. At 1st it didn't like it but
after a few small food bribes it was happy.
It learned to come when it was called and return
to cage when asked, it's bird house cage door
was never closed....we called it Birdy.

A friend with a real dumb bertie gives us a budgy
we called Wally cuz the thing kept flying into
walls, no nav sense at all, even had a bent nose.

We let Birdy and Wally share the same cage,
then one time Wally flys out and down the hall.
Well Wally won't talk to me but, if I chirped,
Birdy would chirp and then Wally would chirp,
Wally wouldn't chirp to me, but he and Birdy
were friends and he'd chirp if Birdy chirped.

Well I used to hang my suit coats in the front
hall, and we found Wally in my inside pocket,
snarly as hell, but we liked Wally, even though
it was idiot Bertie.
Ken
Old July 9th 08, 06:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks

On Jul 5, 5:41*pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:bc5701f5-34a5-4868-
:

[...]

Awww, Kenny! I thought you liked me?

Nice story BTW. You should get it illustrated. and sell it.

Bertie

Reminded me of Flowers for Algernon. Would need to change Wally to
Maxie though.
Old July 9th 08, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Ken S. Tucker

On Jul 9, 10:02 am, wrote:
[...]

Yeah, a childrens essay or something.

Reminded me of Flowers for Algernon. Would need to change Wally to
Maxie though.

One of the few times I became emotionally involved
with a pet was with Birdy. It could do splendid VTOL
off my finger and fly around the house (2 story 4 bed)
for a 1/2 hour or so...upstairs, downstairs checking
out the place, he'd buzz the living room for minutes.
One time Birdy lands on the ceiling fan (it was off)
so I sneak in a bit of rpm to it and Birdy loved it,
bobbing his head to adjust for the acceleration.
I guess it was kind of like a Merry-Go-Round for him.
Anyway I'd keep making it go faster until he flew off,
but I got the sense he took it as a challenge to keep
hangin' on knowing what I was doing.

After he had exercise/play time, we'd tell him to go
"back to Birdy house" and off he go to his cage,
(don't want birds flying at dinner time).

I'd use a queer squeeky voice saying "good Birdy"
and that guy would look in his mirror and say "good
Birdy" to himself, and you can tell Birdy was laffing at
himself...he picked up a lot of words, and yakked up
storm while looking in the mirror.

I was floored by how intelligent Birdy came to be.
Ken
Old July 9th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

wrote in
:

:

[...]

Mmm, yes I could see that working.. I think it should alos be published
in Ken's original hand, magic marker and all.

Bertie
Old July 9th 08, 08:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in
:

:

[...]

I'm sure you were.

Superior intellects can be very intimidating for one such as yourself.

Bertie
Old July 10th 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 7/9/2008 12:53 PM Ken S. Tucker said the following:
I'd use a queer squeeky voice

I bet.
Old July 10th 08, 06:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Ken S. Tucker

On Jul 9, 4:07 pm, Rich Ahrens wrote:
on 7/9/2008 12:53 PM Ken S. Tucker said the following:

I'd use a queer squeeky voice

I bet.

I picked up the accent while working in Toronto :-).

But you got me thinking. Birds and bats need to
somehow tune out the white noise of the air going
past them while they fly so they can still hear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear

Perhaps their cochlea, being rather small, are more
sensitive to higher frequencies, sounds good to me.
Birdy would ignore me when I used regular speech,
probably below his threshold. But I started using a
high pitched scratchy fem voice for him and he liked
it, and emulated it.

I'm interested in that kind of stuff, I designed this
unit including the electronics,
http://www.trak4.com/earco/index.html
which we use to listen to birds with.
Ken
Old July 10th 08, 08:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Ken S. Tucker" wrote in news:3622ef4b-0952-
:

On Jul 9, 4:07 pm, Rich Ahrens wrote:
on 7/9/2008 12:53 PM Ken S. Tucker said the following:

I'd use a queer squeeky voice

I bet.

I picked up the accent while working in Toronto :-).

But you got me thinking. Birds and bats need to
somehow tune out the white noise of the air going
past them while they fly so they can still hear.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ear

Perhaps their cochlea, being rather small, are more
sensitive to higher frequencies, sounds good to me.
Birdy would ignore me when I used regular speech,
probably below his threshold. But I started using a
high pitched scratchy fem voice for him and he liked
it, and emulated it.

I'm interested in that kind of stuff, I designed this
unit including the electronics,
http://www.trak4.com/earco/index.html
which we use to listen to birds with

I think you're definitely on next month's niminee list there, k00kie
boi.

I think a weird science award is on the cards for you.

Bertie

Old July 10th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message

I think a weird science award is on the cards for you.

Bertie

As for your mother as well.

Training Ruski Soaring 4 August 1st 05 11:48 PM
XC Training Marilyn Hood Soaring 0 March 30th 05 09:50 PM
XC training g l i d e r s t u d Soaring 0 March 30th 05 09:10 AM
Training Q - Is this appropriate Jules Instrument Flight Rules 1 August 6th 04 05:57 AM
Yak 52 Training gpa Aerobatics 0 November 10th 03 06:15 AM