Ideas for fun Oshkosh activities for my 8-year old

Old July 7th 08, 05:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Doug Wells

Default Ideas for fun Oshkosh activities for my 8-year old

I'm taking my 8-year old daughter to Oshkosh this year and was
wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some fun activities that
she might enjoy while we are there. I've been to Oshkosh before but
have never taken any of my kids.

We are camping onfield and will have access to a car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doug Wells
Old July 7th 08, 07:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601Xl Builder

http://www.airventure.org/2008/events/kidventure.html
Old July 7th 08, 07:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
john smith

In article
,
Doug Wells wrote:

I'm taking my 8-year old daughter to Oshkosh this year and was
wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some fun activities that
she might enjoy while we are there. I've been to Oshkosh before but
have never taken any of my kids.

We are camping onfield and will have access to a car.

Any suggestions?

First, your child is your first priority.

If it is just you and your daughter, plan to see only a few things that
YOU want to see.

To amuse your daughter, KIDVENTURE has excellent activities all day long.

Are you camping, staying in the dorms, somewhere else? Will you have a
car?

The seaplane base is an excellent get-away where you can wade/swim in
the cove on a hot day. And you can watch the airplanes come and go, too!

You may only be able to get in a half-day of activity before it will be
time to return to camp/find a quiet place and rest. Plan your days for
mornings, afternoons (airshow), and evenings. Only do two of the three
in any one day.

Remember to pack sunscreen and water in a backpack every day, and to
reapply sunscreen and drink plenty of water every two hours. A
sunburned, dehydrated child will not be a fun experience for either of
you.

Hat and sunglasses for both of you. Polyester shirts, nylon shorts
polyester socks and comfortable tennies. If you are planning on getting
new shoes, get them now and break them in before you arrive. You do not
want to be treating blisters and rubs during AirVenture.

If you are camping with a plane, plan on getting up early, the
round-engine alarm clocks are very effective. People are pretty good
about quiet time after sunset. Unless you happen to be camping near RAP
Party Central. There, you will usually find a lively discussion up until
11 PM. Old age is bringing about earlier bedtimes, however.

If you are camping, get your daughter an inexpensive LED headlamp.
Walmart carries an EVEREADY model for $13. This will be useful for any
nighttime activities.
Old July 8th 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Margy Natalie

Gig 601Xl Builder wrote:
Doug Wells wrote:

I'm taking my 8-year old daughter to Oshkosh this year and was
wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some fun activities that
she might enjoy while we are there. I've been to Oshkosh before but
have never taken any of my kids.

We are camping onfield and will have access to a car.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

Doug Wells

http://www.airventure.org/2008/events/kidventure.html

I second the kidventure, sea plane base, etc. If you want to see the
Vintage stuff get a ride on the vintage plane tour (leaves from the Red
Barn, limited schedule). The museum has a pretty good kids section and
it's air-conditioned!

Take her on the Ford Tri-Motor (with a jacket or something to sit on)
and maybe a helicopter ride.There are usually Young Eagle flights in a
Breezy in the mornings. Check in with the Young Eagles program, they
should know.

Margy
Old July 11th 08, 01:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Blueskies

There is also the craft tent, lots of things to make that are not necessarily airplane...

My daughter is 14 this year, and is doing the woman soar activity, but your daughter at 8 is too young. She has been
stomping around OSH for years now...

Are you flying in, and if so where do you plan to camp?

back channel - blueskies at ameritech dot net

Old July 15th 08, 05:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Take her swimming at Menominee Park!
This is a few miles north of the Oshkosh airport.
You can see the airshow "overhead", as they make their turns from the
north/south passes. :-)

Take her on a helicopter ride from Pioneer field... flys over Airventure,
and you can see where you have been (on the ground), and see your
camp site... and take pictures. My kids loved it... they were 8 and 11.

Doug Wells wrote:
I'm taking my 8-year old daughter to Oshkosh this year and was
wondering if anyone had some suggestions for some fun activities that
she might enjoy while we are there. I've been to Oshkosh before but
have never taken any of my kids.

We are camping onfield and will have access to a car.

Any suggestions?

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocations!"
--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com http://users.frii.net/jer/