Largest conventional-gear airplane

Old July 11th 08, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Default Largest conventional-gear airplane

B-17?

Old July 11th 08, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

gatt wrote in news:212qgk.ete.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17, and
also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200 was a bit
bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though probably not the
payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can think of
that might be in competition wiht those. I can't think of any Russian
aircraft that might be in contention, but if anyone could have, it would
have been them!

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 01:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
gatt wrote in news:212qgk.ete.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17, and
also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200 was a
bit
bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though probably not the
payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can think of
that might be in competition wiht those. I can't think of any Russian
aircraft that might be in contention, but if anyone could have, it would
have been them!

Bertie

The 17 would still be heavier, if we stuffed your fat ass in it.

Old July 11th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,alt.usenet.kooks,alt.alien.vampire.flonk.flonk.flonk
Bertie the Bunyip[_25_]

"Maxwell" luv2^fly99@cox.^net wrote in
:

"Bertie the Bunyip" wrote in message
gatt wrote in
news:212qgk.ete.19.1 @integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17,
and also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200
was a bit
bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though probably not
the payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can
think of that might be in competition wiht those. I can't think of
any Russian aircraft that might be in contention, but if anyone could
have, it would have been them!

Bertie

The 17 would still be heavier, if we stuffed your fat ass in it.

Awww, still with the blind lames,

Good luck with that fjukkktard.

I'm not going anywhere... And I haven't even broken a sweat yet.

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 01:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dallas

On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:11:46 +0000 (UTC), gatt wrote:

B-17?

My money's on the XB-15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:X...n_airstrip.jpg

--
Dallas
Old July 11th 08, 04:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 7/10/2008 7:46 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
gatt wrote in news:212qgk.ete.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17, and
also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200 was a bit
bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though probably not the
payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can think of
that might be in competition wiht those. I can't think of any Russian
aircraft that might be in contention, but if anyone could have, it would
have been them!

Like, say, the Petlyakov Pe-8? AKA the TB-7? It was the only four-engine
bomber the Soviets had during WW II. Its max takeoff weight was 35,000
kg vs a bit less than 30,000 kg for the B-17. 39 meter wingspan vs 32
meters. A photo:

http://www.aviation.ru/Pe/8/Pe-8.jpg
Old July 11th 08, 07:37 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

Rich Ahrens wrote in
. net:

[...]

Hhmm, never even seen that. I've never really looked much at Soviet
airplanes from that era. I must have a rummage around..

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 07:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"gatt" wrote in message

B-17?

It's certainly not the largest, but one of the most interesting is the
Antonov AN-2. It's the largest conventional gear aircraft I've had the
privilege of taking the controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Old July 11th 08, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
gatt wrote in news:212qgk.ete.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17, and
also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200 was a bit
bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though probably not the
payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can think of
that might be in competition wiht those.

Good suggestions.
Length
Avro Lincoln: 78 ft 3.5 in.
Lancaster: 69 ft 5 in.
Focke Wulf 200C-3: 77 ft 1 in.
Avor Tudor 1: 79 ft 6 in. (Wiki says the Tudor 2 was 25' longer.)
B-17G: 74 ft 4 in.

I wonder what they were like to handle on the ground. The B-17 might
have been easiest of them, I suppose, because of the huge rudder.

-c
Old July 11th 08, 03:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Dallas wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:11:46 +0000 (UTC), gatt wrote:

B-17?

My money's on the XB-15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:X...n_airstrip.jpg

That would be the biggest suggestion so far at 87'7", except the Avro
689 Tudor Mk. 2 at 105'7".

http://www.tgplanes.com/Public/Snitz...p?TOPIC_ID=961