Largest conventional-gear airplane

Old July 11th 08, 04:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Steven P. McNicoll[_2_]

Default Largest conventional-gear airplane

gatt wrote:

Good suggestions.
Length
Avro Lincoln: 78 ft 3.5 in.
Lancaster: 69 ft 5 in.
Focke Wulf 200C-3: 77 ft 1 in.
Avor Tudor 1: 79 ft 6 in. (Wiki says the Tudor 2 was 25' longer.)
B-17G: 74 ft 4 in.

XB-15: 87 ft 7 in

Old July 11th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Maxwell wrote:

The 17 would still be heavier, if we stuffed your fat ass in it.

Clearly you have absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute.

*plonk*
Old July 11th 08, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt[_5_]

Mike wrote:
"gatt" wrote in message

B-17?

It's certainly not the largest, but one of the most interesting is the
Antonov AN-2. It's the largest conventional gear aircraft I've had the
privilege of taking the controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Somebody flew one of those to Burning Man last year. I hear you just
about can't stall 'em.

http://picasaweb.google.com/startled...19491939354866
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/...e411f7.jpg?v=0

Old July 11th 08, 06:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

gatt wrote in
:

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:
gatt wrote in
news:212qgk.ete.19.1 @integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17,
and also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200
was a bit bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though
probably not the payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can
think of that might be in competition wiht those.

Good suggestions.
Length
Avro Lincoln: 78 ft 3.5 in.
Lancaster: 69 ft 5 in.
Focke Wulf 200C-3: 77 ft 1 in.
Avor Tudor 1: 79 ft 6 in. (Wiki says the Tudor 2 was 25'
longer.) B-17G: 74 ft 4 in.

I wonder what they were like to handle on the ground. The B-17 might
have been easiest of them, I suppose, because of the huge rudder.

I#ve only ever talked to a Lanc pilot. A canadian guy I had a couple of
beers with in London. He said it was pretty easy to fly if it was rigged
correctly, not so easy if it wasn't.

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 06:23 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

gatt wrote in news:214hsh.2oc.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

Dallas wrote:
On Thu, 10 Jul 2008 23:11:46 +0000 (UTC), gatt wrote:

B-17?

My money's on the XB-15

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:X...n_airstrip.jpg

That would be the biggest suggestion so far at 87'7", except the Avro
689 Tudor Mk. 2 at 105'7".

http://www.tgplanes.com/Public/Snitz...p?TOPIC_ID=961

I was thinking more of weight, but it would probably correlat roughly.

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 06:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

gatt wrote in news:214kqd.dfs.19.1
@integratelecom.com:

Maxwell wrote:

The 17 would still be heavier, if we stuffed your fat ass in it.

Clearly you have absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute.

*plonk*

Uh oh, now you've done it.
you're on the lits now

Bertie
Old July 11th 08, 07:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Rich Ahrens[_2_]

on 7/11/2008 1:37 AM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
Rich Ahrens wrote in
. net:

on 7/10/2008 7:46 PM Bertie the Bunyip said the following:
gatt wrote in
news:212qgk.ete.19.1 @integratelecom.com:

B-17?

Well, the Avro Lincoln was probably a good bit heavier than the 17,
and also probably the Lancaster, but I think maybe the Focke Wulf 200
was a bit bigger than either. It certainly had more range, though
probably not the payload of even the 17.
The postwar Avor Tudor is the only other giant taildragger I can
think of that might be in competition wiht those. I can't think of
any Russian aircraft that might be in contention, but if anyone could
have, it would have been them!

Like, say, the Petlyakov Pe-8? AKA the TB-7? It was the only
four-engine bomber the Soviets had during WW II. Its max takeoff
weight was 35,000 kg vs a bit less than 30,000 kg for the B-17. 39
meter wingspan vs 32 meters. A photo:

http://www.aviation.ru/Pe/8/Pe-8.jpg

Hhmm, never even seen that. I've never really looked much at Soviet
airplanes from that era. I must have a rummage around..

Geez, I managed to out-trivia you for once? Shocking...

Among the Pe-8's features were hand-operated machine guns in the rear of
the inboard engine nacelles. It also had a single compressor above the
bomb bay, driven by an auxiliary engine, which fed air to the engines
via a huge duct in each wing in place of superchargers. So strictly
speaking it was a five-engine beast!
Old July 11th 08, 09:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Maxwell[_2_]

"gatt" wrote in message
Maxwell wrote:

The 17 would still be heavier, if we stuffed your fat ass in it.

Clearly you have absolutely nothing whatsoever to contribute.

*plonk*

Oh worrra worra, I have been kill filed by a sock puppet.

Old July 12th 08, 01:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mike[_22_]

"gatt" wrote in message
Mike wrote:
"gatt" wrote in message

B-17?

It's certainly not the largest, but one of the most interesting is the
Antonov AN-2. It's the largest conventional gear aircraft I've had the
privilege of taking the controls.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antonov_An-2

Somebody flew one of those to Burning Man last year. I hear you just
about can't stall 'em.

http://picasaweb.google.com/startled...19491939354866
http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3135/...e411f7.jpg?v=0

If you can, it's got to be at a pretty slow speed. When we landed it seemed
as if the thing was almost stopped already. For a large aircraft the short
field abilities are simply incredible.

Old July 12th 08, 02:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dale[_3_]

In article ,
gatt wrote:

Good suggestions.
Length
Avro Lincoln: 78 ft 3.5 in.
Lancaster: 69 ft 5 in.
Focke Wulf 200C-3: 77 ft 1 in.
Avor Tudor 1: 79 ft 6 in. (Wiki says the Tudor 2 was 25' longer.)
B-17G: 74 ft 4 in.

I wonder what they were like to handle on the ground. The B-17 might
have been easiest of them, I suppose, because of the huge rudder.

-c

Curtiss C-46: Length 76'4 Wingspan 108'1