High Tows

Old December 23rd 09, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Leonard[_2_]

Default High Tows

Barry,

In one of my favorite books, Richard Miller's "Without Visible Means
of Support", there is a tale of a Russian Glider air/winch/winch tow.
A twin engined towplane, a bunch of wire, a two place sailplane, a
bunch of wire, and a single place sailplane. Tow plane goes as high
as he can go, lets out his line. The two plane and single place
"kite" themselves up higher. Then, the two place lets out his line,
and the single place "kites" himself as high as he can get. Not
really winching in the classic sense. More like an auto tow using a
towplane and a sailplane.

On their first attempt, the towlane got to 15,000, the two place got
to about 18,000, and the single place got to 21,000. On a later
attempt, the single place got to 28,050 feet.

Fred, have you got reels in your towplanes? How much spectra do you
think it could hold? :-)

Steve
Old December 23rd 09, 05:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

Steve:

We have a reel in our towplane, but it is driven by a rubber band and
certainly doesn't have enough power to act as a winch. In fact I have
to keep the airspeed below 80 Kts when I reel in the line or it stops
retracting. And speaking of Spectra, I'm told it requires extra
strong drums on winches because it has enough stretch that it builds
up tension on the drum, kind of like wrapping a stretched rubber band
around your finger -- the tension could eventually crush the drum of
many winches. Fred
Old December 23rd 09, 06:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

don't need to reel it in for the winch effect..
just climb as high as you can with about 3 miles of spectra..
and hang on while the glider "kites" up behind you for a few thousand extra
feet of altitude.

either that or the glider can just "catch the wave"...

we have 30G40 down here tonight after today's frontal passage..
how much snow did you get?

BT

Old December 23rd 09, 06:44 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Fred[_5_]

So far we've only got flurries. Temps below zero forecast for
tonight, then up to the low 40's tomorrow. Lots of snow just a little
north of us in Reno. Fred
Old December 23rd 09, 07:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 22, 9:13*pm, Fred wrote:
Steve:

We have a reel in our towplane, but it is driven by a rubber band and
certainly doesn't have enough power to act as a winch. *In fact I have
to keep the airspeed below 80 Kts when I reel in the line or it stops
retracting. *And speaking of Spectra, I'm told it requires extra
strong drums on winches because it has enough stretch that it builds
up tension on the drum, kind of like wrapping a stretched rubber band
around your finger -- the tension could eventually crush the drum of
many winches. *Fred

Spectra (and other UHMWPE ropes) don't stretch at all. They are fluid
like when winding on a drum and under tension the crushing force is
cumulative since there is no elasticity, there is no relief either.
Not at all like a rubber band.

1/8" Amsteel Blue has a breaking strength of 2500lbs. 7/64" is
1600lbs. You can get a lot on a reel, but I think you'd still need a
bigger reel to set records.

Frank Whiteley

Tows at Ely [email protected] Soaring 1 April 22nd 09 12:45 PM
Tows available at Chester, SC Sam Giltner[_1_] Soaring 0 April 7th 09 02:30 AM
USA: Places to get tows in ID, OR and WA [email protected] Soaring 7 January 26th 06 05:29 PM
Tows available near Tucson? Janus2k Soaring 2 May 6th 04 06:28 AM
High tow vs. low tow for rough tows (long) Mark James Boyd Soaring 36 December 9th 03 08:13 PM