Pegasus gliders.

Old November 28th 09, 06:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch

Default Pegasus gliders.

Does anyone have any further information on expanding the Pegasus life
limit past 3000 hours? I know of a couple of gliders that are rapidly
approaching this point, and there must be more in the U.S. I did not
realize how bad the problem was until a discussion today with some
folks who truly love soaring, but very soon will not be able to fly
their gliders because of this life limit. This caused great alarm, as
Germany, England, and France have all extended the life limit to
12,000 hours on Pegasui. (Pegasuses?) However, the FAA still refuses
to expand the life limit.

Where is the SSA in all this? I thought they were to be the ones at
the tip of the spear with helping people out with problems like this,
but in my searching, I have seen no evidence of support. I must say,
I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of action on this. It seems like
it should be at the forefront of their attention. Hell, I don't even
know who "They" are anymore. I used to, but I lost track sometime
around the time all the money disappeared.

My own regional director is busy enough trying to prop up the entire
contest circuit on his own, so I'm not comfortable bothering him on
this issue. Who else is out there that can help?

Is anyone out there getting anywhere with resolving the Pegasus issue?

Frustrated,
EX
Old November 28th 09, 09:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz[_2_]

Mark,
Another possible solution is for owners to register the aircraft in a
European country but continue to fly it here. That's perfectly legal.
Old November 29th 09, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
JJ Sinclair

The one I remember from my AF days was; "Illigitimi non
carborundum"..................On the misplaced log book issue, the
Federalies should never be involved. Owner simply makes a log book
entry in his new book, Logs lost, estimated total time = 1000 hours.
Why/when should / would the Federallies be involved?
Illigitimi non carborundum!
JJ

Martin Gregorie wrote:
On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:15:10 -0800, Bob wrote:

* * Nihil *******io carborundum

or....

illigitimi non carborundum

I'm certain that's better Latin than mine (which I said was schoolboy
joke latin), but FWIW the online Latin-English translator at http://
www.translation-guide.com/ can't handle either - the only words it
recognises are nihil and non.

--
martin@ | Martin Gregorie
gregorie. | Essex, UK

Old November 29th 09, 02:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
cernauta

On Sat, 28 Nov 2009 09:15:10 -0800 (PST), Bob
wrote:

* * Nihil *******io carborundum

or....

ill_E_gitimi non carborundum

Old November 29th 09, 04:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MickiMinner

Is anyone out there getting anywhere with resolving the Pegasus issue?

Frustrated,
EX

Mitch and all Pegusai (?) owners...
You are right...it is durn frustrating. Steve Northcraft with the SSA
having been working hard and diligently to get the FAA to extend the
life of the Pegasus aircraft. So far he has been unsuccessful, but it
wasn't for the lack of trying. He is still working on it...and you can
contact him if you have any questions, ideas or concerns. It was a
huge topic of conversation at the last board meeting. (Micki acting
as secretary for) Charlie-Lite
Old November 29th 09, 05:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Where is the SSA in all of this?
Did you contact the SSA to find out instead of just blasting it in public?
BT

Old November 29th 09, 03:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Wayne Paul

"Mitch" wrote in message ...

.... Snip ...

Where is the SSA in all this? I thought they were to be the ones at
the tip of the spear with helping people out with problems like this,
but in my searching, I have seen no evidence of support. I must say,
I'm pretty disappointed in the lack of action on this. It seems like
it should be at the forefront of their attention. Hell, I don't even
know who "They" are anymore. I used to, but I lost track sometime
around the time all the money disappeared.

.... Snip ...

Frustrated,
EX

Have you bothered to look at this new group archives? If you had you would realize that the SSA has been actively involved. I find it troubling that you assume the SSA is doing nothing just because the French factory has not produced information which to FAA considers necessary to resolve the problem.

What is your suggestion to resolve the FAA's impasse with the factory? How can the SSA force the FAA to meet your needs? What can the SSA do that they haven't already done?

This SSA has been involved every since the factory started providing support for its' US owned product. The time limitation efforts have even been published in Soaring Magazine. Please don't be so critical of the SSA before you have done your research.

Old November 29th 09, 04:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mitch

From the SSA site:

The FAA indicated in the letter that potential alternative solutions
to extend the service life of these aircraft could be pursued by
private interests. The SSA, in reviewing what information would be
required to pursue this, has determined that we do not have the
required resources.

The SSA is disappointed with what now appears to be a final outcome
for this issue. However, over the course of discussions the last 4
years on this, and other certification related issues, it has become
apparent that further dialogue on the subject of how the FAA handles
glider certification is necessary and we will continue to pursue and
protect the interests of our membership.

Stephen Northcraft, Chairman
SSA Government Liaison Committee

So, what they are saying here is "We give up, if you guys want to do
it individually, you may go ahead and do that". If they (The SSA) do
not have the required resources to pursue this, what can the
membership as a whole do to provide the necessary resources? Once
again from the site-

"The SSA acts as the ‘umbrella’ organization for soaring in the United
States by representing the collective interests of its members –
individuals, clubs, chapters, and businesses...The SSA actively
encourages involvement of youth in the sport, and provides
representation to Federal agencies..."

I have done, and continue to do my share for the sport of Soaring, I
feel I have the right to be disappointed, and to publicly blast the
lack of action by an organization that I have believed in since I was
14.

Old November 29th 09, 07:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Nov 29, 11:36*am, Mitch wrote:
From the SSA site:

[...]

Steve Northcraft has put huge hours into trying to get a favorable
outcome for this problem. The issue is that the FAA can only use
manufacturer's "approved data" or a suitably engineered and approved
STC as a basis to continue airworthiness.
Since Centrair won't provide such data, the only method currently
available would be for some entity to create, engineer including all
required source data, document, and then get approved a test plan for
continued airworthiness. OH- one other detail- this entity will also
have to carry the liability going forward that results from these
activities. Steve's statement is correct, the SSA does not have either
the finanacial nor technical resources to undertake such a project.
The only real practical solution is either export to a country without
life limit certification, or get a massive cramp in the log book entry
hand.
Sorry for your pain.
UH
Old November 30th 09, 04:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Schumann

Another option would be to sell the gliders in a country where the life
limit was not an issue and buy a different glider.

Mike Schumann

Pegasus gliders. JJ Sinclair Soaring 4 November 28th 09 06:39 PM
Pegasus gliders. Mark628CA Soaring 0 November 28th 09 05:11 PM
Pegasus gliders. Frank Whiteley Soaring 0 November 28th 09 06:58 AM
Pegasus or ....? Mike125 Soaring 29 December 1st 07 02:06 AM
FS: Pegasus [email protected] Soaring 1 October 4th 05 10:05 PM