Winching in Florida this winter

Old November 30th 09, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don[_6_]

Default Winching in Florida this winter

Hi all,
My commercial gliding operation (http://www.crosscountrysoaring.com)
is moving to Florida for six weeks (Jan 14 - Feb 28th) with our winch
(330HP and a mile of Spectra) and one Grob 103. If you would like to
find out what a winch shot feels like, or get an endorsement (which
satisfies a Flight Review), have a look at the Florida page of the web
site for more information on training, pricing and scheduling. We will
operate out of the Immokalee Airport (KIMM), home of the Everglades
Soaring Club, which is about 25 miles inland of Naples/Ft Myers or
three hours south of Seminole Lake, Home of the Seniors (which kick
off March 7th).
If you've never tried it before, winching will likely exceed your
expectations in pretty much every way.
Thanks for putting up with the short ad, ras!
Honest cu's to u,
Don Ingraham

Here are a couple of short CCSI winch launch videos:

Soaring - Hammerheads over Minnesota
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQXse_FuPo8

Glider winch launch - cool angle
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIy8381lX3A
Old November 30th 09, 05:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tommytoyz[_2_]

Wish you the best of luck. What are you charging per launch?
Old November 30th 09, 06:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
GARY BOGGS CFIG

Nice videos but no sound track in the second one?

And it's very painful to watch the yaw string in the first video!
Shame on your instructor! You gotta move those feet more! Those yaw
oscillations are bad.

Gary
Old November 30th 09, 08:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Don[_6_]

On Nov 30, 12:19*pm, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
Nice videos but no sound track in the second one?

And it's very painful to watch the yaw string in the first video!
Shame on your instructor! *You gotta move those feet more! *Those yaw
oscillations are bad.

Gary

Gary,
It was a lesson on coordination. The yaw string was the subject!
(hopefully you knew that and were joking - since I see a CFIG by your
name). Notice how there is no banking going on during that segment and
the student keeps turning his head to the side and nodding and looking
back. God I miss this group! You must have thought us quite lucky that
it was dead straight during actual maneuvers - ha! (although it *is*
crooked on the hammer head - I'll work on that :-)

As for price (previous poster), an 'all up' shot (glider, CFIG and
winch launch) with 10 minutes air time is $45. An endorsement package
of 'up to' 20 shots is $600. Launching private ships - $20.
I'll take communication off-line so I don't abuse the commercial
nature of this group any more than I have. You can contact me though
the seb site!
Thanks,
Don
Old November 30th 09, 08:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Nov 30, 11:48*am, Don wrote:
[...]

Too wimpy to endure another Minnesota winter Don ?
How come you didn't leave last week ?
Have fun in Florida,
Best Regards, Dave

PS: Come visit the seniors - it'll be a short drive when
you can't bear to go back to Minnesota !

Old December 1st 09, 06:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

I'm sure he knows that just getting the ground launch endorsement alone does
not complete the BFR requirement.
Two endorsements, 61.31(j)(ii) and 61.56.

BIG SMILEY FACE ;^))
BT-CFIG

Old December 1st 09, 07:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
bumper[_2_]

On Nov 30, 10:19*am, GARY BOGGS CFIG wrote:
Nice videos but no sound track in the second one?

And it's very painful to watch the yaw string in the first video!
Shame on your instructor! *You gotta move those feet more! *Those yaw
oscillations are bad.

Gary

Gary,

Painful? Those were good oscillations! That good looking yaw string in
those videos was a MKIII and is a thing of sensuous pulchritude (more
better than tape and yarn). As such, it can only approach the pain
threshold if it points forward or staight up for sustained
periods . . . say 10 seconds or more (this may vary with altitude, or
lack thereof).

The new MKIV is said to look good even after 20 seconds, or up until
bail-out (whichever occurs first).

bumper
zz
MKIV yaw string and Quiet Vent
(not made in China)
Old December 1st 09, 08:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Alan[_6_]

In article "BT" writes:
I'm sure he knows that just getting the ground launch endorsement alone does
not complete the BFR requirement.
Two endorsements, 61.31(j)(ii) and 61.56.

BIG SMILEY FACE ;^))
BT-CFIG

I thought so too, and your having the CFIG hints that you may have
some guidance from the FAA on this that is not clear in the rules.

61.31(j)(i) for ground launch [(ii) is for aerotow] refers to the
endorsement for the privilege of a specific launch type.

61.56(d) specifies that passing a proficiency check for an operating
privlege by an examiner, approved flight check airman, or US armed force,
would substitute for a flight review. If the person doing the training
and signing off for the privilege of winch launch was an examiner or
approved flight check airman, it would seem that this rule would apply.

Now, you are probably going to remind me that operating prvileges are
things added to sport pilots, similar to ratings for other certificates.
(A sport pilot adds an "operating privilege" instead of a "rating".)
This may be what they were thinking at the time those words were put in
the rule, but it doesn't appear to be a unique qualification, and is not
specifically what they said. If they had meant it only to be for sport
pilot operating privileges, they could have said that.

Now, realistically, the training can easily include the ground needed for
a flight review, and can be expected to include enough flights to pattern
altitude such that an instructor can easily work in the requirements for the
flight review as a separate log endorsement resulting from the same flights.

I have no idea which the original poster meant.

Alan