NASA Research looking for pilots with WSI in-flight weather experience

Old October 19th 04, 04:53 PM
Peter R.

Default NASA Research looking for pilots with WSI in-flight weather experience

Last Friday I participated in a NASA GA research experiment that
measured a pilot's performance flying behind the standard round dials to
that of flying behind three different primary flight displays. The 25
pilots participating in this experiment came from all experience levels,
from low-time VFR pilots to high-time instrument rated pilots and
military pilots.

The one-day study was done in a simulator at their Langley Air Force
base research facility near Newport News, VA and NASA paid all travel
expenses. I was going to post my experiences with this experiment to
this newsgroup, but the post got a bit wordy.

Anyway, I just received another email from the NASA research
coordinator. This time, they are going to be studying a pilot's
performance using in-flight weather. This experiment requires the
subject pilot to fly NASA's 2001 Cessna 206 on an actual X/C flight
through southern Virginia. The experiment requires two days and will
take place sometime between November '04 and Feb. '05. NASA will pay
all travel to/from the experiment as well as a daily stipend.

Since NASA is requiring a pilot to have some prior experience using
WSI's in-flight weather displayed on an MX20, they are having a harder
time finding qualified pilots.

To help them out, I am posting their requirements and contact info here,
hopefully to reach a wider audience.

The requirements of this study:

- Have at least a private pilot license
- Fly single-engine, land aircraft predominantly
- IFR qualified (have a current Instrument Aircraft Rating) and current
- Not have ever received compensation for flying as an occupation
- Not have ever actively flown in the military
- Have current medical with no color vision deficiencies
- Have flown at least 5 hours (not sure what NASA means by this,
perhaps 5 hours in the last month)
- Have flown at least one cross-country trip (over 50nm) in the last 180
days
- Have between 100-300 hours of cross-country time total
- Experience with WSI on MX-20 display
- May use bi/tri-focals, but these must be graduated as not interfere
with oculometer data collection.

If you have the qualifications and interest, you can contact Regina
Johns at (remove the capital letters).
Depending on my job commitments during that time frame, I am going to
participate in this experiment, too.

--
Peter

Old October 19th 04, 11:08 PM
Morgans

"Peter R." wrote

Last Friday I participated in a NASA GA research experiment that
measured a pilot's performance flying behind the standard round dials to
that of flying behind three different primary flight displays.

I was going to post my experiences with this experiment to
this newsgroup, but the post got a bit wordy.
--
Peter

Please post about it. Those who don't want to read it can skip it. Right
gang?
--
Jim in NC

---

Old October 20th 04, 01:35 AM
Peter R.

Morgans ) wrote:

Please post about it.

I still have the post in draft. I'll look it over and send it up to a
new subject.

--
Peter

Old October 20th 04, 02:23 AM
Morgans

"Peter R." wrote in message
Morgans ) wrote:

Please post about it.

I still have the post in draft. I'll look it over and send it up to a
new subject.

--
Peter

Great. Thanks!