"Rolling" to ATC

Old February 4th 07, 05:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Mxsmanic

Default "Rolling" to ATC

Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Old February 4th 07, 06:07 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Viperdoc[_3_]

Are you sure you don't mean trolling?

Old February 4th 07, 11:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student,rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

What is the name of Dagwood's wife?
Old February 5th 07, 01:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

On Feb 4, 11:59 am, Mxsmanic wrote:
Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Tower: United xxy, cleared for takeoff, turn to heading 225
United xxy: United xxy, rolling, turn to 225

Old February 5th 07, 02:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Sam Spade

paul kgyy wrote:

On Feb 4, 11:59 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Tower: United xxy, cleared for takeoff, turn to heading 225
United xxy: United xxy, rolling, turn to 225

I think it would be "United xxy, turn to heading 225, cleared for takeoff."

"Rolling" is pure slang.
Old February 5th 07, 03:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Paul kgyy

On Feb 4, 8:08 pm, Sam Spade wrote:
paul kgyy wrote:
On Feb 4, 11:59 am, Mxsmanic wrote:

Under what conditions, if any, would you explicitly tell ATC that you
are rolling, that is, actually rolling on the runway for take-off?

I hear this used occasionally, but I don't know if there are any
formal circumstances that merit it, or if it is just at pilot
discretion, or what. It is normally independent of the readback of
the take-off clearance (which precedes it), although sometimes I hear
"Rolling" without a readback of the clearance.

Tower: United xxy, cleared for takeoff, turn to heading 225
United xxy: United xxy, rolling, turn to 225

I think it would be "United xxy, turn to heading 225, cleared for takeoff."

"Rolling" is pure slang.

Correction accepted;
Slang, yes, but have often heard it.

Old February 5th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Doug[_1_]

OK, ATC, HIT it!
(ATC)
Rollin' rollin' rollin,
Keep them aircraft rollin'
Deltaaaa
Don't try to understand em
Just throttle, stick and jam them
Soon we'll be livin high a wide......

Old February 5th 07, 04:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Allan9

You've got the word
Make like a bird
Al

ups.com...

Old February 5th 07, 08:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
G. Sylvester

Sam Spade wrote:
paul kgyy wrote:
Tower: United xxy, cleared for takeoff, turn to heading 225
United xxy: United xxy, rolling, turn to 225

I think it would be "United xxy, turn to heading 225, cleared for takeoff."

"Theodore 2501, cleared for takeoff, 225. Rolling on a river." It's
better to turn to that heading after you get off the ground unless the
actual direction of the runway is 225. ;-)

Also used for:
Flight attendant #1 - The luggage is probably thirsty. Let's get moving
on the beverage carts.

Stewardess #2 - Rolling.