Fossett Search

Old September 13th 07, 07:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default Fossett Search

To All:

I'm not involved with the SAR effort, other than hoping for a good
outcome, but I get a lot of mail, much of it from overseas and the
same questions keep popping up.

Where is the 'Flying M Ranch'?
Actually, there's quite a few of them. The one of interest here is
about twenty miles due west of the southern tip of Walker Lake.
That's about 40 air-miles south of the Yarrington airport; about 80
miles SE from Minden.

What was Mr. Fossett's destination?
I don't know. Previous land-speed runs have used dry lakes about a
hundred miles north of the Flying M ranch.

People in Europe often asked how an aircraft can vanish unless covered
by water or snow. There's no pat answer for that. Until they have
some search & rescue experience over that part of Nevada most people
simply have no concept of the problem. I've seen a Beechcraft
'Bonanza' crumpled into a ball you could fit into a pick-up truck. It
lay undiscovered for seven years within a thousand feet of a paved
road until exposed by a brush-fire that burned away the manzanita that
had concealed it from view.

Some of the questions stemmed from my articles on survival and desert
travel. I've re-posted them to my blog for those who are interested.

After ten days although logic my deem otherwise I say keep looking.
Never give up hope.

-R.S.Hoover

Old September 13th 07, 11:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
George

The majority of answers to your questions could be found at:
rec.aviation.soaring
George

oups.com...

Old September 14th 07, 10:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 13, 12:09 am, " wrote:
[...]

A 72 year old woman survived for 14 days in the Willowa wildnerness
with a broken hip after getting lost near a broken down pickup. She
was found and rescued after being given up for dead.

If Fossett survived the crash and was able to locate a water source,
he could still be alive.

Dean

Old September 15th 07, 09:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Robert Loer

Having ridden the area for years on dirt bikes including the Black Rock
Desert where the land speed record was once set it is easy for a plane to
disappear especially if there was fire and the fabric (hence the color) was
all gone. It could also disappear in Walker Lake or Pyramid lake.

Robert

Old September 25th 07, 08:41 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

On Sep 12, 11:09 pm, " wrote:
To All:

I'm not involved with the SAR effort, other than hoping for a good
outcome, but I get a lot of mail, much of it from overseas and the
same questions keep popping up.

Where is the 'Flying M Ranch'?
Actually, there's quite a few of them. The one of interest here is
about twenty miles due west of the southern tip of Walker Lake.
That's about 40 air-miles south of the Yarrington airport; about 80
miles SE from Minden.

Lat/Long from Google Earth:

38°36'42.03" N
119°00'5.67" W

Dave in San Diego

Old October 25th 07, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
cavelamb himself[_4_]

I haven't heard a word on this subject in quite a while.

Anything happen?
Old October 25th 07, 02:20 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Morgans[_2_]

"cavelamb himself" wroteI haven't heard a word on this subject in quite a
while.

Anything happen?

No traces were found. The official search is over, unless new leads
develop.

It was reported that some private assets (friends) are still working on it,
but I don't know any details on that.
--
Jim in NC

Old October 25th 07, 03:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Harry K

On Oct 24, 6:20 pm, "Morgans" wrote:
"cavelamb himself" wroteI haven't heard a word on this subject in quite a
while.

Anything happen?

No traces were found. The official search is over, unless new leads
develop.

It was reported that some private assets (friends) are still working on it,
but I don't know any details on that.
--
Jim in NC

Last I heard was that they had found a possible "track". That was
from TV and I assume they were talking about a radar trace found by
searching archives. Nothing came of it that I heard.

Harry K