Suggested Lunch Stops "Near" Washington, D.C.?

Old June 7th 05, 01:30 PM
Denny

You don't have to stay out of canadian airspace. You can transit the
airspace, you just can't land there without dealing with
customs/immigration
************************************************** ********************************************
Well Steve, I hate to be difficult and I realize you have good
intentions, but you are stating things that are ABSOLUTELY wrong and
will get a pilot busted, big time... You need to call 1-800-wx-brief
and listen to JULIET, my friend...
Something Mr. Schaeffer neglected to do before touring DC in a C-150

In posting to Jay I simply wanted to give him a heads up without
getting into fine technicalities, that Flight Service will/should
know... But, it looks like I need to at least give an outline here...

The Homeland Security briefing has changed from INDIA to JULIET...
JULIET has relaxed, considerably, the filing requirements, and has
totally cancelled the Enhanced B Security regs... So, according the the
current briefing, JULIET...

The outline:
If you are landing or taking off from outside of USA territory anytime
during the flight you must file an INTERNATIONAL FLIGHT PLAN - simple
to understand, ja? An absolute requirement - no if's, and's, or
but's....

If you are on a DOMESTIC flight and simply passing through Canadian or
Mexican airspace then there are several possibilities.. ("Domestic"
meaning that you take off from USA territory and land in USA territory,
without touching foreign soil anywhere along the way.)

1. You can file an International Flight Plan (discouraged if all you
are doing is passing through foreign airspace on a domestic flight as
it increases TRACON work load and it does NOT replace your requirement
to file either a domestic VFR/ADIZ, or an IFR Flight Plan, also...
Details to follow) Likely, once the briefer understands that you are
simply passing through foreign airspace without touching down, he will
decline to accept the International Flight Plan and ask you to file as
follows...

2. You can file a domestic IFR Flight Plan - which will cover both the
passing through foreign airspace (Canada and Mexico, only) and the ADIZ
requirements... The encouraged method - and a good reason to get the
rating...

3. You can file a domestic VFR Flight Plan plus an ADIZ Flight Plan
(required if you are not on an IFR Flight Plan)... Make sure the the
Flight Service Briefer understands that you are going to be passing in
and out of foreign airspace (this is where you definitely do a
telephone file and do not use DUATS, etc.)
The drill is not difficult... in essence;
A. You file an IFR FLIGHT PLAN but enter a VFR ALTITUDE (you don't have
to be IFR rated for this)
B. You file an ADIZ Flight Plan - with the briefer and you agreeing
upon the VOR entry/exit point(s) at the ADIZ
C. In the remarks section of the IFR Flight Plan you enter the comment
"ADIZ / xxx / AFSS
where xxx is the Flight service station identifier - in my case it
would be the FSS at Lansing Michigan LAN, so my remarks would be
"ADIZ / LAN / AFSS")... This causes the computer at the center to
generate a strip for TRACON that gives the controllers along your route
a heads up that you are on a VFR/ADIZ flight....

There are a few more requirements, but the briefer at FSS will advise
you what to do, assign squawk codes, altitudes, etc... If for any
reason you are forced to land on foreign soil during the flight have
either a valid passport or a certified copy of your birth certificate
or you will NOT get back into the USA...

None of this is difficult, and it could have been a lot worse if not
for AOPA, EAA, and GA friendly elected officials reining in the the
jack booted, security thugs...

cheers ... denny

Old June 7th 05, 02:12 PM
Jay Honeck

In posting to Jay I simply wanted to give him a heads up without
getting into fine technicalities, that Flight Service will/should
know... But, it looks like I need to at least give an outline here...

Big Snip

Thanks for the primer, Denny. It looks like we'll be heading south, to St.
Louis, tonight, to take the kids to Six Flags, rather than go north on our
romantic "round the top o' the lakes" flight I originally planned, due to
the predicted crappy weather up that way.

But I'll be sure to use your advice later in the summer. We WILL be flying
to Mackinac Island again this year -- it's been too long -- and then down to
my sister's in Lansing.
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Old June 8th 05, 01:43 AM
Steve S

Denny,

Thank you for elaborating. I didn't consider filing an ADIZ flight plan a
big deal as I do it when going to Key West or more recently to the DC area.
I was just pointing out that it is not terribly onerous to transit Canadian
airspace, there is no customer/Canpass to deal with. I would hope that
anyone taking a flight like this would check the regs and call FSS
themselves. I know I wouldn't trust my ticket to a faceless typer on Usenet
:-)

Regards,

Steve S

oups.com...

Old June 9th 05, 04:43 PM
Dave Butler

Robert M. Gary wrote:
I was there last week, its great.

-Roebrt

That'd be interesting, Roebrt, if I had any clue which posting you were replying
to. I think your snippage is a little overzealous. Please include a little
context. Thanks.