FWIW, Moller Again ?

Old July 7th 07, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Jerry Springer

Default FWIW, Moller Again ?

where extra lift is
obtained from operating near the ground. For more information, visit
www.Moller.com.

How are they going to solve the problem of having all those cranes
that his vehicles have to be tethered to? Even his Ground Effect vehicle
is tethered in the video.
Old July 7th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Anthony W

Paul Tomblin wrote:
In a previous article, Ron Natalie said:
That was great. I was read for a couple of really good laughs.

What we really need is a Moller-Bede joint enterprise.

Financed by Zoom Campbell.

And test piloted by yuan dart...

Tony
Old July 7th 07, 06:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

"Ron Natalie" wrote in message
m...
Peter Dohm wrote:

That was great. I was read for a couple of really good laughs.

What we really need is a Moller-Bede joint enterprise.

Or Moller-Rutan.

If Rutan can put a man on the Moon, why can't he...

Old July 7th 07, 10:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Ernest Christley

Peter Dohm wrote:

That was great. I was read for a couple of really good laughs.

What we really need is a Moller-Bede joint enterprise.

Or Moller-Rutan.

If Rutan can put a man on the Moon, why can't he...

Because putting a man on the moon is possible?
The moon doesn't have the neighbors dog in the way?
Putting a man on the moon will use less fuel?

Somebody help me out here...
Old July 8th 07, 12:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_2_]

Jerry Springer wrote:

where extra lift is
obtained from operating near the ground. For more information, visit
www.Moller.com.

How are they going to solve the problem of having all those cranes
that his vehicles have to be tethered to? Even his Ground Effect vehicle
is tethered in the video.

He'll sell the cranes for a slight additional cost?

Dan, U.S. Air Force, retired
Old July 8th 07, 02:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Big John

What if he comes to a 50 foot tree? Can't go over and in grond effect
runs into it (

Big John

On Fri, 6 Jul 2007 11:14:05 -0700, "Matt Barrow"
wrote:

"Paul Tomblin" wrote in message
In a previous article, "Al G" said:
GROUND-EFFECT VEHICLE PRODUCTION LAUNCHED
www.Moller.com.

Funny how the 1953 Avro Aircar was a saucer-shaped aircraft intended to
fly at altitude but they couldn't get it out of ground effect. History
repeats itself?

Except Avro was trying to get OUT of ground effect; Moller is trying to stay
IN it.

Old July 8th 07, 04:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Matt Barrow[_4_]

Peter Dohm wrote:

That was great. I was read for a couple of really good laughs.

What we really need is a Moller-Bede joint enterprise.

Or Moller-Rutan.

If Rutan can put a man on the Moon, why can't he...

Because putting a man on the moon is possible?
The moon doesn't have the neighbors dog in the way?
Putting a man on the moon will use less fuel?

Somebody help me out here...

Someone help out the humor-challenged lad here.

Old July 8th 07, 05:58 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
DABEAR

On Jul 7, 4:05 pm, Ernest Christley wrote:

Somebody help me out here...

Flying Bumper Cars...very kewl! Try them also on the I-20 here in
Dallas during late afternoon rush hour!

It will be so much fun watching them shoot back and forth across lanes
of traffic, passing back and forth under unsuspecting Semis and those
blue and yellow Airport Shuttle vans.

They'll be the latest road rage! People in Los Angeles will have to
put away their Smith and Wessons and start carrying Triple A (the Anti-
Aircraft Gun, not the Automotive Road Service...) for when they get
cut off by one. Come to think of it, they might also want the other
Triple A as well...

Can you imagine one of these "hovercraft" in the drive through at
McDonald's? They pull forward to the windows and blast the poor fry
cooks with hot oil and french fries while they hover to pay. The girl-
at-the-window's hair looking like the Bride of Frankenstein after you
drive away; her face and makeup as done by Mary Kay in a NASA
centrifuge.

Imagine an aerial vehicle more "takeoff- and landing-challenged" than
the lowly Albatross.

Finally, the Gooney Birds of Midway Island will have their revenge...

....now, if they could just feed video of the carnage to National
Geographic, Gooney Bird life would be perfect!

As any Gooney Bird would tell you: what goes around comes
around...and around...and around...and around...

On second thought, let's not go down that road! Er, skyway! Er, Jet
Route!

Vanity wise, the good news is: the only two places in the World that
you'll go unnoticed are Edwards AFB and Area 51 !

The bad news is, the only two places in the World that you'll go
unnoticed are (Everyone!) Edwards AFB and Area 51 !

And how about those Vanity plates! Like: "Tubular," "Circular,"
"Frisbee" and my personal favorite:

"SPLAT!"

Perhaps thrusters would be the solution for the uphill/downhill issue?

In lieu of thrusters, I think JATO Rockets would do nicely! Like that
rookie pitcher in the movie Bull Durham, announce your presence with
authority! Especially where the Sepulveda Blvd tunnel goes beneath
25R/25L at LAX!

Or, if you really needed to stop, one could always Velcro the anchor?
But once the hooks are on your hovercraft, where do you find the
fuzzies? (Behind the billboard with a radar gun, laughing hsyterically
and feeling so bad for you they wouldn't dare pull you over in your
time of unmitigated shame...)

Okay! I'm game!

Just tell me where I can buy insurance...

Oh, and who regulates these things? NASA, the FAA, the DMV or MIT?

I mean, propulsion has got to be based on Newton's Laws of Physics,
right? You go to the garage, ignore the burly greasy-covered mechanic
with his Mr. Goodwrench Certificate, and look for the 12 year old with
the pocket protector, the slide rule...

....and a Master's Degree in Aeronautics & Astronautics!

You don't plan your trips using Mapquest...you have to plan your
navigation after reading books by a guy named Minnesota Fats! (For
those of you born after Minnesota Fats passed away: "Billiards
Player!")

Oh, if only John McDonnell had a fingernail of Donald Douglas' vision,
he would have shut down the MD-11 production line and started
producing ...

....I'm sorry ~ what was that damned thing callled?

The Krispy Creme Kamikaze!!?? Shaped like a doughnut with a hole in
the middle and it makes you weightless?

Seriously! The finally found a way to make those with Splenda?

Didn't the swimming pool industry already come out with something like
that. Inflatable, you wear it around your stomach, jump in the pool
and if your head isn't too big, you don't capsize and drown with
Celine Dion singing in your head as you grey out?

You know..."floaties!"

Why spend millions on development and hundreds of thousands of dollars
to buy one of these, when all you have to do is go down to Wal Mart,
buy an innertube, fill it with helium, hang Christmas lights on it,
and call yourself the "Goodyear Blimplet."

That, or a lawn chair and a whole lot of helium balloons! Or if in
Albuquerque during the Festival, Animal Balloons!

And then, comes the issue of people driving/flying one of these and
talking on the cell phone at the same time.

"ET...phone home."

Wow! Talk about your party line! rimshot!

You get pulled over by the Cops for drunk driving...you were seen
driving straight.

The only thing "Green" about them is the driver, and that's after
about twelve minutes on a one-way street. Reminds me of that Robin
Williams joke from Bicentennial Man:

"A woman calls her husband on his cell phone and tells him: Honey!
The TV just said there's a driver going the wrong way down the
freeway! Her husband responds:

One!? There's hundreds of them!"

Or how about those commercials:

Q: "Pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon!?

A: "Are you kidding! It's all over the COCKPIT!" rimshot!

Ahnold vudn't appre-she-ate daht. At least, not until they built the
Hummer version.

A "Sqvare Pehg in uh Round Travvic Circul!" Ahnold vould appre-she-
ate daht!

"Out of Ground Effect?"

Posh! "Sound of Impact" is all you really have to worry about! And
in those moments, just wear ear plugs!

Has this helped any?

No?

Sorry...you could always walk! Or use your Rocket Pack! g

As for me, I'll take the rec.aviation.train!

Old July 8th 07, 07:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
Roger (K8RI)

On Fri, 06 Jul 2007 15:47:48 -0400, Ernest Christley
wrote:

Bill Daniels wrote:
Way back, I got a chance to play with some prototype "ATV - like" consumer
ground effect machines. They looked like a cross between a Vespa motor
scooter and an ice rink resurfacing machine. We unloaded them in a big,
empty parking lot and fired them up.

The first thing you learn about ground effect machines is that they stir up
a LOT of dust - even where you didn't expect there would be any dust.

The second thing is that they will almost uncontrollably slide downhill. In
this case, until they got to the storm drain gratings in the corner of the
parking lot where they grounded themselves - there's no ground effect above
a grating. We then faced the problem of an 800 pound machine with no wheels
firmly stuck on a storm drain grate. Fortunately, the truck that delivered
them had a wrecker crane - possibly due to the developers previous
experiences with storm drain grates.

We decided that dry land was possibly not their native environment so we
tried them over water since water is 'mostly' level.

The first thing you learn about ground effect machines over water is that
they kick up a LOT of spray - enough to thoroughly soak the driver. You
need goggles to keep the spray out of your eyes but spray covered goggles
are hard to see through.

The second thing you eventually discover is that when the engine quits over
water the thing sinks FAST. Fortunately, the developer had a water recovery
skiff with a crane and plenty of drying out stuff - possibly due to previous
experiences with over water engine failures.

Maybe this is why you don't see a lot of consumer ground effect ATV's.

Bill Daniels

Bill, that was hilarious. Thank you.

I can see I-40 now during rush hour. On of the Aircars runs over a
drainage grate and goes crashing to the ground. Then there is a 300
aircar pile-up, because short of tossing an anchor over the side, I see
nothing on the thing to make an emergency stop with.

They wouldn't be allowed on the roads in most states except possibly
for some of the more open, western states. Here in Michigan off road
vehicles are expected to *stay* of road and require a DNR permit. If
used over water they need a permit for that.

Can you imagine crossing a field and setting down in a bunch of brush?
Worse yet, how about a bunch of blackberry bushes or a bunch of small
thorn trees. Thorn trees, those are the ones with the three inch long
thorns :-)) Then again this thing probably isn't quite as sturdy as
a "brush hog"
Old July 9th 07, 11:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.piloting
erik

On Jul 7, 4:58 pm, DABEAR wrote:
[...]

A: "Are you kidding! It's all over the COCKPIT!" rimshot!

Ahnold vudn't appre-she-ate daht. At least, not until they built the
Hummer version.

A "Sqvare Pehg in uh Round Travvic Circul!" Ahnold vould appre-she-
ate daht!

"Out of Ground Effect?"

Posh! "Sound of Impact" is all you really have to worry about! And
in those moments, just wear ear plugs!

Has this helped any?

No?

Sorry...you could always walk! Or use your Rocket Pack! g

As for me, I'll take the rec.aviation.train!

Gawwdd!!! Have'nt you got work to do? G

More Moller crap Anthony W Home Built 0 April 18th 05 06:25 AM
Move Over Moller Larry Dighera Piloting 16 March 9th 05 01:39 PM
Soviet Ekranoplan redux, FWIW Ogden Johnson III Naval Aviation 0 March 23rd 04 08:44 PM
Moller Skycar T-Boy Piloting 17 March 1st 04 04:23 PM
Moller gets competition! Rob Turk Home Built 18 December 11th 03 09:09 PM