Most Beautiful Glider Competition...

Old February 11th 06, 05:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Most Beautiful Glider Competition...

Don't forget the 301 Libelle. There's just something about the picture
I love...
http://www.sailplanedirectory.com/Pl...fm?planeID=199

Old February 11th 06, 08:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yeah, we are bored. And with snow headed for the U.S. East Coast, we're
not likely to have any soaring to think about for a while yet.

It's difficult not to pick Gerhard Waibel as the most consistent and
prolific designer of beautiful gliders (ASW 12, 17, 19, 20, 22, 24, 27
& 28; yeah, I know I left off the 15 but that one just didn't do it for
me). For sheer drama, the Discus 2, Nimbus 4, and ASH-25 are pretty
spectacular. I flew a Libelle 201 for many years but sorry, guys, it
was cute. Lovable perhaps, but not beautiful.

But to paraphrase an earlier poster, you never forget the gliders that
first captivated you. In my case:

(a) Len Niemi's Sisu, a V-tailed marvel from the '60s (Vintage, Sports,
or Open Class depending on how you look at it); and

(b) Diamant HBV, the 15M version with the Glasflugel 301 wings that had
far more attractive proportions than the later long-winged versions
(Vintage, Sports, or 15M Class).

Chip Bearden
ASW 24 "JB"

Old February 12th 06, 01:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I have always thought that my second glider was the most beautiful. It
was a Phoebus C. Whenever I see one, I still think it has beautiful lines

MG

Jono Richards wrote:
Well, whilst we are at it on the 'First glider - no
gel coat' lets have a little competition...

What is the most beautiful glider in the following
classes?

1. Club

2. Standard

3. 15/18m

4. Open

To get things going, my personal opinions would be:

1. Club - Libelle

2. Standard - ASW 28

3. 15/18m - Ventus 2a

4. Open - ASH25

Bar the Libelle, these are all fairly modern, so lets
see some of the older ships!

JR

Old February 12th 06, 04:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Jono Richards napisał(a):
1. Club

Junior

2. Standard

SZD-55

3. 15/18m

Diana-2

4. Open

ASW22

5. Vintage

SZD 24C Foka4

6. World class ;-)

PW-5

regards
--
--=JJay=--
www.aeroklub.deblin.pl, moje zdjęcia na airfoto.pl - http://tiny.pl/xlkk
Old February 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ASW-15 Looks the best!

At 16:42 12 February 2006, --=jjay=-- wrote:
Jono Richards napisał(a):
1. Club

Junior

2. Standard

SZD-55

3. 15/18m

Diana-2

4. Open

ASW22

5. Vintage

SZD 24C Foka4

6. World class ;-)

PW-5

regards

Old February 12th 06, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

ASW-15 Looks the best!

At 16:42 12 February 2006, --=jjay=-- wrote:
Jono Richards napisał(a):
1. Club

Junior

2. Standard

SZD-55

3. 15/18m

Diana-2

4. Open

ASW22

5. Vintage

SZD 24C Foka4

6. World class ;-)

PW-5

regards

Old February 12th 06, 05:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

What is a really good stick? Pedals?

At 23:30 11 February 2006, Doug Hoffman wrote:

One new thing for me this winter is
Condor, the competition soaring simulator. With it
I am much less bored, thinking quite a bit about soaring,

and perhaps even improving
my soaring skills. YMMV. For about $50 and the cost
of a good
joystick (get a good one, not a cheap one) it's a great
'soaring'
value.

Regards,

-Doug

Old February 12th 06, 10:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Nyal Williams wrote:
What is a really good stick? Pedals?

Hi Nyal,

After wasting money on a new Logitech joystick, which is junk, I did
some research. Turns out the stick of choice is the Microsoft
Force-Feedback 2 (must be a 2!). No longer made, but you should be
able to find a good used one on eBay. That's what I did. For pedals I
got the CH-Pro USB. They work just fine. Except I did not like the
strong spring self-centering. So I removed the springs (don't try this
unless you are handy with small parts that are a challenge to
re-assemble). Still not perfect pedal feel, force feedback pedals
would be best (have no idea if they exist), but much better than those
springs.

Regards,

-Doug

Old February 14th 06, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

The eye of this beholder votes for the ASW-27 and single canopy ASH-25
in their classes. I dream about both.

ASW-27:
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo23.jpg

ASH-25:
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo13.jpg
http://www.williamssoaring.com/images/photo21.jpg

Aerodynamics of carrying water Gene Whitt Soaring 54 October 19th 05 07:24 PM
Bad publicity David Starer Soaring 18 March 8th 04 03:57 PM
I wish I'd never got into this... Kevin Neave Soaring 32 September 19th 03 12:18 PM
Restricting Glider Ops at Public Arpt. rjciii Soaring 36 August 25th 03 04:50 PM