Medication that interferes with pilot certificate?

Old January 14th 04, 12:37 AM
Tom Sixkiller

Default Medication that interferes with pilot certificate?

Just got back from the family doctor this afternoon and he is putting me on
a strong dose of Celebrix for arthritis. I don't suppose this would be cause
for interruption of my Medical Certificate, would it?

AME won't be back in the office this week, but I'm dying to know for certain
if there's any cause for disruption.

Thanks,

Tom

Old January 14th 04, 12:49 AM
Don Tuite

On Tue, 13 Jan 2004 17:37:38 -0700, "Tom Sixkiller"
wrote:

Just got back from the family doctor this afternoon and he is putting me on
a strong dose of Celebrix for arthritis. I don't suppose this would be cause
for interruption of my Medical Certificate, would it?

AME won't be back in the office this week, but I'm dying to know for certain
if there's any cause for disruption.

No problem. See:

http://www.aopa.org/members/database...l/druglist.cfm

But it's Celebrex, with an "e".

Don
Old January 14th 04, 03:53 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

Just got back from the family doctor this afternoon and he is putting me on
a strong dose of Celebrix for arthritis. I don't suppose this would be cause
for interruption of my Medical Certificate, would it?

There is no entry for that medication in the AOPA medical database. That's not
conclusive, of course, but they also have this to say about a diagnosis of
arthritis -

Arthritis

At the time of your next examination, you will need to provide your aviation
medical examiner with a
current status report from your treating physician. If the information is
acceptable to the AME and
you are found otherwise qualified, your AME may issue your medical certificate at
that time.

The report should include:

Type of arthritis.
General assessment of condition and effect on daily activities.
Name and dosage of any medication(s), and comments regarding any medication side
effects.
Assessment of range of motion of neck, upper and lower extremities, and hands.

The AME should defer the application to the Regional Flight Surgeon or Aerospace
Medical Certification
Division if:

There is development of any associated systemic manifestations.
There is new joint involvement.
Medication or treatment is required, including Plaquenil, oral chemotherapy-type
medications
(Methotrexate, steroids in dosage equivalent greater than 20mg of Prednisone
daily, or gold
therapy).

George Patterson
Great discoveries are not announced with "Eureka!". What's usually said is
"Hummmmm... That's interesting...."
Old January 14th 04, 01:12 PM
Tom Sixkiller

wrote:

Just got back from the family doctor this afternoon and he is putting me

on
a strong dose of Celebrix for arthritis. I don't suppose this would be

cause
for interruption of my Medical Certificate, would it?

AME won't be back in the office this week, but I'm dying to know for

certain
if there's any cause for disruption.

No problem. See:

http://www.aopa.org/members/database...l/druglist.cfm

But it's Celebrex, with an "e".

Hmmm...you're right! I wonder if I should get some Ginkgo Biloba with it?

Thanks

Tom

Old January 14th 04, 01:20 PM
Tom Sixkiller

"G.R. Patterson III" wrote in message

Tom Sixkiller wrote:

[...]

Thanks, George.

Right now the case is rather minor. What I'm going on is celecoxib which I
don't find any mention of in the AME section. IIUC, Celebrex is about the
medication for the mildest forms of arthritis and I only have it in the main
joints (elbow and knees). FP didn't foresee any problem in the near future,
especially if the medication works well.

Thanks again for the info!

Tom

Old January 14th 04, 11:41 PM
Stevenatherton

is there a way to get in
http://www.aopa.org/members/database...l/druglist.cfm

from the uk without the password i have a similar problem
Old January 15th 04, 02:11 AM
David Brooks

"Stevenatherton" wrote in message
is there a way to get in
http://www.aopa.org/members/database...l/druglist.cfm

from the uk without the password i have a similar problem

If you're talking about flying over there, it's entirely possible that the
UK has different rules concerning drugs anyway. With a simple Google search
I found http://www.nppl.uk.com/
and http://www.caa.co.uk/srg/med/default.asp?page=873; they might be good
places to start.

-- David Brooks

Old January 15th 04, 02:54 AM
G.R. Patterson III

Stevenatherton wrote:

is there a way to get in
http://www.aopa.org/members/database...l/druglist.cfm

from the uk without the password i have a similar problem

The page is private to AOPA members (note the word "members" in the URL).