Advice on buying a 182

Old February 8th 05, 01:34 PM
Robbie S.

Default Advice on buying a 182

I am thinking of buying a Cessna Skylane 182. Any caveats that I need to
pay attention to ? Any experiences, good or bad ? Any serious maintenance
issues ?

Thanks.

Robbie.

Old February 8th 05, 01:44 PM
Peter R.

"Robbie S." wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Cessna Skylane 182. Any caveats that I need to
pay attention to ? Any experiences, good or bad ? Any serious maintenance
issues ?

What year?

--
Peter

Old February 8th 05, 01:46 PM
Peter R.

"Peter R." wrote:

"Robbie S." wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Cessna Skylane 182. Any caveats that I need to
pay attention to ? Any experiences, good or bad ? Any serious maintenance
issues ?

What year?

Sorry, too ambiguous. Let's try this again:

What model-year C182 are you thinking of buying?

--
Peter

Old February 8th 05, 03:07 PM
Jim Burns

General comments on pre-buy inspections, FAA title search, check for UCC
filings on the owner and previous owners, previous owners comments (why did
they sell it, any major repairs ect), damage history/repair, corrosion, AD's
applicable to the specific airplane....etc... these apply to every airplane.

A couple specific areas that I am aware of on 182's would be to check the
firewall for damage due to pilots dropping the nose on landings, and to
check the condition/age of the rubber fuel bladders. A lot of 182 owners
with Continental O-470's have remarked about needing a top overhaul at
around 700 engine hours. Find an A&P/AI that has a LOT of 182 experience
and he will be able to tell you what to look for and what to be wary of. He
should also have an opinion on which model may be better than another within
the same price range.

I'm sure I"m missed things and that others will chime in. I flew a 1978
R182 (RG) for a few hundred hours and loved it.

Jim

Old February 8th 05, 04:36 PM
Newps

1) Firewall damage. If you get a late 60's or older you want to have
had somebody wreck the firewall because then the chances are good they
replaced it with the new thicker one.

2) Engine mount. A 182 must have heat shields or the mount won't last
long at all. The shields are cheap, about $150, and eliminates mount
damage.

3) Bladders. About $1200-$1500 to replace each one but once replaced
they last a long time. Look for leaking fuel at wing root and fuel drain.

4) Air box tunnel. Check to make sure it's in good shape. Real
expensive to replace.

5) Main landing gear boxes. Check to make sure there are no cracks.
That would indicate hard landings.

6) The vertical fin attach AD. Check to make sure there are no cracks
in this bulkhead. The AD states it must be checked every 4000 hours.

The rest is nickles and dimes. Pay no attention to the gross weight of
any plane. You don't get more weight carrying ability by getting a
newer, higher gross weight plane. The newer the plane the worse they
perform. Think empty weight. Mine is a 67 and is 1740 pounds empty,
leaving a useful load of 1060. A newer plane can have a higher useful
but perform much worse because we are all using 230 HP. Stay light.

Old February 8th 05, 05:15 PM
Robbie S.

Sorry 'bout that.... I have just made up my mind that I want a 182, partly
due to my business need. I have not decided what model or year to go for.
I do have $$$ constraints as well, meaning a newer one would be out of
question at this point.

I was actually looking to pick up some words of wisdom from other folks who
have owned a 182....

Thanks.

Robbie.

"Peter R." wrote in message
news
"Peter R." wrote:

"Robbie S." wrote:

I am thinking of buying a Cessna Skylane 182. Any caveats that I need
pay attention to ? Any experiences, good or bad ? Any serious
maintenance
issues ?

What year?

Sorry, too ambiguous. Let's try this again:

What model-year C182 are you thinking of buying?

--
Peter

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Old February 8th 05, 05:24 PM
Doug Campbell

Get a copy of the Cessna Pilot's Assoc Buyer's guide
http://www.cessna.org/store/index.html

And enjoy, you're getting a great model.

Old February 8th 05, 05:25 PM
Peter R.

"Robbie S." wrote:

Sorry 'bout that....

Not a problem at all.

I have just made up my mind that I want a 182, partly
due to my business need. I have not decided what model or year to go for.
I do have $$$ constraints as well, meaning a newer one would be out of
question at this point.

At one time I was in the market for a 182 and I learned that there is a
difference in what to be aware of between the older models and the newer
models. Thus, knowing what you were interested in would help to narrow the
advice you received.

I was actually looking to pick up some words of wisdom from other folks who
have owned a 182....

Looks like it is trickling in, too.

--
Peter

Old February 8th 05, 06:32 PM

Robbie S. wrote:
I am thinking of buying a Cessna Skylane 182. Any caveats that I need to
pay attention to ? Any experiences, good or bad ? Any serious maintenance
issues ?

First, NOW, join Cessna Pilots Association... they know more
about Cessnas than Cessna does! Then you can download their
182 buyers guide with ALL the information you want to know...
and it is already organized for you.

Second, have CPA do your pre-purchase inspection, and do an
annual inspection at the same time. YOU pay for the inspection,
and YOU pay for moving the airplane. The OWNER pays for any
items required to be airworthy.

These two things ALONE saved me over $12,000 when I purchased
my Cessna-206.

Best regards,

Jer/ "Flight instruction and mountain flying are my vocation!" Eberhard

--
Jer/ (Slash) Eberhard, Mountain Flying Aviation, LTD, Ft Collins, CO
CELL 970 231-6325 EMAIL jer'at'frii.com WEB http://users.frii.com/jer/
Old February 8th 05, 11:42 PM
kontiki

Robbie S. wrote:

Sorry 'bout that.... I have just made up my mind that I want a 182, partly
due to my business need. I have not decided what model or year to go for.
I do have $$$ constraints as well, meaning a newer one would be out of
question at this point.

I was actually looking to pick up some words of wisdom from other folks who
have owned a 182....

The only words of wisdom I can come up with is that I have been there myself.
I found that I could not afford anything newer than a run-out 1970-ish model
with real old avionics. So then I bought a Comanche. It has nearly the same
payload and its alot faster... its just older and a lot less money.

Basically you need to do a LOT of looking. there are some good ones out there
but you may have to spend alot just to bring it home which is really just
increases the cost of the airplane overall. Good lucj and keep us informed
on your progress.

Advice and experts with 400 series Cessnas (414 and 421), purchase and training [email protected] Owning 36 January 9th 05 02:32 AM
Advice on a Trip from San Diego to Las Vegas? Shane Owning 10 August 16th 04 04:04 PM
boot camp advice jameson Military Aviation 17 July 22nd 04 05:12 AM
Advice on buying a 152? rajek Owning 27 June 21st 04 08:09 PM
Advice request -- buying an airplane Casey Wilson Owning 4 April 19th 04 03:22 PM