PPL question payment for flight

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old July 18th 03, 05:34 PM
John Galban

"Montblack" wrote in message ...
"Peter Gottlieb"
snip
No monetary compensation is involved
(nor other "favors" from her friend, for those of you with dirty minds).
All I get out of it is time flying, and I bear all the costs. I would

have
no other reason to fly to that particular field (although no reason not to
either).

No dirty minds here. We believe you, nothing happened with "the friend."

...so, why do you think your wife (and her friend) wanted you out of town
for the afternoon?? g

Answer to your FAA question: You are acting as a (money losing) air taxi
service. Bad.

Gotta disagree with this one Montblack. If there was no
compensation involved, Peter is not acting as an air taxi. As far as
the FAA is concerned, you can fly anyone, anywhere, anytime as long as
you (the pilot) are paying for all costs associated with the flight.

The "commonality of purpose" and "pro rata share" tests only come
into play when money or other compensation is exchanged. Basically,
the rule exists to keep private pilots from making commercial flights.
The absence of any sort of compensation makes Peter's flight legit.

John Galban=====N4BQ (PA28-180)