How to land on a grass airstrip

Old June 17th 06, 08:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default How to land on a grass airstrip

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:34:42 GMT, Matt Whiting wrote:

drclive wrote:

Can anybody point out a good bibliography or article that describes the
differences in landing on a grass airstrip for the first time, tips and
advices? Thanks

What sort of differences? Landing on grass isn't much different than
hard surface unless the grass is very tall, very wet, or hiding mud. :-)

I'd have to disagree with you on this.

It also depends on the soil composition. If it's clay and dry and hard as
concrete, yes, no difference other then the grass that you describe above.

If it any other type of soil composition where the weight of the plane may
sink a little, then soft field take off and landing techniques are in order
(yoke full aft when on ground and prop is turning).

See my other postings on the technique.

Allen
Old June 17th 06, 08:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 17 Jun 2006 11:43:34 -0700, Doug wrote:

Depends on the grass. Grass strips vary from putting green smooth to
plane riping holes, rocks and logs. Examine grass beforehand.

*smile*

How does one do this from pattern altitude at an airport they have never
been to?

Allen
Old June 17th 06, 08:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

drclive wrote:
Can anybody point out a good bibliography or article that describes the
differences in landing on a grass airstrip for the first time, tips and
advices? Thanks

Try google. I got plenty of hits with photos and techniques..

Old June 17th 06, 08:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

I should think a google search would give you plenty of reading
material! There is no great trick to landing on grass any differently
than on gravel, concrete, or asphalt! You will notice a difference in
stopping, a distinct difference on touchdown in the sounds and feeling,
and a little difference in taxi. All in all, no major differences and I
think too many people make a big to do about nothing. Kind of like
attitudes about flying tail draggers...?
I'd guess I've got 15-16,000 hours operating off grass/dirt/gravel or
unimproved strips in wide variety of aircraft including turbines, multi
engine, etc. really not a big deal.
Just make sure the condition of the strip is up to snuff and that can
be ascertained with a phone call. Practice your soft field techniques
and then go have some fun! I'm sure you will enjoy it. I certainly do.
Rocky

Old June 17th 06, 08:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

In article ,
A Lieberman wrote:

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 18:14:25 +0100, Quilljar wrote:

No difference, just land normally...

Incorrect advice.....

You want to land as softly and as slowly as possible on a grass strip.

Also want to keep the nosewheel off terra firma as long as possible so it
doesn't run the risk of "digging in" from the weight of the engine and prop
when the nose wheel does touch down.

After touchtown, the yoke should be full aft.

Taxiing on soft fields is also significantly different. You hold the yoke
back full aft and taxi with more power to ease the pressure of the nose
wheel.

Allen

This all sounds like "landing normally" to me!
Old June 17th 06, 08:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

As with everything else connected with flying, "landing on grass" is best
not considered in one all encompassing definition for do's and don't's.
One of the worst habits a pilot can get into from the first day of training
is to begin thinking this way.
Landing on grass has all the variables associated with it that will be found
for any single location and set of conditions.
The best way to think about issues like this is to completely forsake the
"axiom" route and instead think in terms of SPECIFIC existing conditions for
the intended landing.
Dudley Henriques

oups.com...

Old June 17th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

A,

You want to land as softly and as slowly as possible on a grass strip.

Also want to keep the nosewheel off terra firma as long as possible so it
doesn't run the risk of "digging in" from the weight of the engine and prop
when the nose wheel does touch down.

After touchtown, the yoke should be full aft.

Taxiing on soft fields is also significantly different. You hold the yoke
back full aft and taxi with more power to ease the pressure of the nose
wheel.

Which part of that would not be beneficial on asphalt?

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 17th 06, 09:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Drclive,

as others have said, it totally depends both on what the state of the
strip and the state of the grass is. Generally, use softfield
techniques (a good idea on any surface) as taught in primary training.
Very important: Add the additionals to distance calculations as given
in the POH.

Wet, high grass is more of a problem - I've had a Tobago decelerate
again during the take-off roll at 40 knots when I entered a patch of
higher gras (maybe 2 inches) after recent rain. I saw a sunburnt and
thus much short patch coming up ahead, so I didn't abort - and it
worked.

--
Thomas Borchert (EDDH)

Old June 17th 06, 09:36 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On 17 Jun 2006 09:08:36 -0700, "drclive" wrote:

Can anybody point out a good bibliography or article that describes the
differences in landing on a grass airstrip for the first time, tips and
advices? Thanks

As has already been said, rent a CFI is a good place to start, but as
was also said, landing on a well cared for sod strip is little
different than landing at a regular airport.

However you do need to know the condition of the strip such as: Is it
smooth, It the grass cut short, and of course how long is the runway.
IE this is a good time to call ahead and find out the condition of the
strip before you discover it has ruts left from a truck after the last
rain.

If I were going into a sod strip for the first time it'd be a soft
field landing with the nose gear well in the air. If it's not rough
I'd not worry about the nose gear coming down. If it is rough I'd try
to taxi with enough power to keep the nose gear up. I say this with
the assumption you are flying either a Cessna, or Piper. OTOH a taxi
with enough power to keep the nose up requires a field with out loose
*stuff* on the runway or taxi way. Otherwise you can "whack" something
your prefer remained un whacked.

(N833R, S# CD-2 Worlds oldest Debonair)
www.rogerhalstead.com

Old June 17th 06, 09:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Sat, 17 Jun 2006 22:31:30 +0200, Thomas Borchert wrote:

Taxiing on soft fields is also significantly different. You hold the yoke
back full aft and taxi with more power to ease the pressure of the nose
wheel.

Which part of that would not be beneficial on asphalt?

Yoke FULL aft AND more power to keep nose wheel off the runway.

Allen