Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

Old December 6th 07, 03:57 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Murphy

Default Trouble Getting Hotel Room For SSA Convention

About a week ago I tried to get a hotel room at the Doubletree during
the SSA convention. I asked for the SSA special price and was told
that they had no records of the SSA or any special room rates. They
quoted me a rate of $159.00. I then called back this morning and the
reservation agent told me that they had a block of rooms for the SSA,
but they were all sold out, and that the entire hotel was sold out
during the convention dates. She tried to book me at the Embassy
Suites, which is owned by the same company, and which was
significantly more expensive than the $99.00 SSA special price. I
declined. I called back this afternoon just to check, and they had
rooms at the SSA price. I booked immediately.

I just wanted to let you all know about the problems so you didn't
give up the first time you called the Doubletree. I'm not sure what
the problem is on their end, but they seem to be really disorganized.
Old December 6th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 5, 8:57 pm, John Murphy wrote:
[...]

Burt Compton will be there with his DG-1000. I wonder if I could rent
out one of the seats from him and just sleep in the convention
center. do the seats recline?

maybe i could just pack an air mattress and find an empty glider
trailer somewhere.
Old December 6th 07, 06:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Albuquerque is a fair sized city with a number of motels and hotels. If you
don't mind driving a few miles, there are plenty of choices at lower prices
than in the city center near the convention site. The SSA convention is
unlikely to take more than a few percent of the available rooms metro-wide.
In 2000, I stayed at a nice motel on east Central for, IIRC, $45 a night.

However, if we are unlucky, there will be another meeting at the same time
with 10,000 attendees.

Bill Daniels

Old December 7th 07, 07:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 5, 7:57 pm, John Murphy wrote:
[...]

Things are in a bit of disarray with the convention.
1. I talked with someone at the ALBQ Chamber of Commerce, and
appearantly, the American Bowling Congress is meeting at the same
place at the same time, as they do every year on that date, and as
there are a zillion bowlers, they fill Albuquerque to the rafters for
this event. Squeezing in a small group like us at that time is a
challenge.
2. Apparantly, SSA didn't know, or remember, this when they picked
ALBQ for the event on this weekend.
3. In talking with some folks in ALBQ, there seems to be quite a bit
of tension between SSA and the local club. Rather than discussing
THAT 2nd hand, I'd advise anyone interested in looking into that to
contact someone they know in ALBQ.
4. I ran into the same problems as John, but did perservere, and did
manage to get a reservation.

I'd really like to have gotten to the convention last year, but chose
not to have to get a 2nd mortgage to pay for plane tickets to it from
Phoenix. Southwest makes it far cheaper this year. See you there.
Bob T.
19
Old December 8th 07, 03:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I think we should just plan on towing one of our trailers down there
to sleep in. I've got that travel trailer but the glider trailers are
a LOT more aerodynamic.

Your Cherokee trailer is HUGE. We can stop by Salvation Army stores
on the way down and buy a bunch of mattresses. We could rent out beds
for $10/night and actually make enough to pay our gas! I bet we could
sleep 20 people in there. Heck, we could make enough to pay for a
room in the doubletree!

Why didn't I think of this before?

Matt Michael

Old December 8th 07, 04:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

On Dec 6, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

yo campers, though I like the trailer idea, there are rooms at local
motels from $38.71 to $60.00/night during that period. however, event
parking at the convention center is $6.00/vehicle with no in/out
privileges if you're outside of walking distance. 3-4 to a room and
it's practically free;^) hopefully, no one snores like an M-2.

I just noticed this on the Doubletree web site;^(
"The hotel is currently undergoing a multi million dollar renovation.
Thank you for your patience as we improve our property for your next
visit!"

Hope that's done before the convention. Due to logistics, I'm sharing
a room in the convention hotel. My roommate reserved the room without
problems a couple of days ago. In Memphis, the hotel charged a daily
rate for parking AND for Internet access/telephone package. In
Atlanta, our room didn't have high-speed Internet, so I had to use my
national dialup access. Those local calls were $1 each.

Doubletree says the HS Internet in the rooms is included. I don't
know if that includes the WiFi in the other areas. No where on the
web site does it say 'free' Internet, too tacky. Parking is $10/
night. At the 1997 convention, we stayed elsewhere and the walk was
cold and windy, and wet once as I recall. Did the same in Ontario and
got damp there too. But that's all part of the fun.

Frank Whiteley

Old December 8th 07, 05:45 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Since it seems the time people are making plans to go is there a list
of speakers, events, demonstrations anywhere? Even a preliminary one?
There are only nine weeks to go after all. If I'm to push things
around to make this I need to decide now to do it now and I assume
other people are in the same situation.

All the other things mentioned are a bit worrying, after stories of
some disorganization and the freezing exhibit hall last year (I did
not go last year, I did go to Ontario and though it was well worth
while), I really hope we don't have conflicts with major other
conventions, hotels under renovation, etc. Maybe somebody involved
could update people on the situation. Hopefully these things are not
significant issues.

Sure would be great if the SSA had its own newsgroups or forums so SSA
related things could be discussed there and not have to spam the rest
of the world on r.a.s.

Darryl

Old December 8th 07, 06:54 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Greg Arnold

As I recall, the last convention in Albuqerque also coincided with the
bowler's convention. Sure a lot more bowlers than soaring pilots!

The problem with the idea of staying in a cheaper motel is that most of
them are outside walking distance, and the cost of a car rental pretty
much eliminates any cost savings.

Does anyone know the names of any cheap motels within walking distance?

Old December 8th 07, 07:16 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

"Greg Arnold" wrote in message
As I recall, the last convention in Albuqerque also coincided with the
bowler's convention. Sure a lot more bowlers than soaring pilots!

The problem with the idea of staying in a cheaper motel is that most of
them are outside walking distance, and the cost of a car rental pretty
much eliminates any cost savings.

Does anyone know the names of any cheap motels within walking distance?

None that I know of. But hey, there will be a lot of people there with
their own cars who could give you a ride to the convention each day.

Bill Daniels

Old December 8th 07, 08:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Dec 6, 9:48 am, wrote:

[...]

The reason I go to the convention is to socialize with other like-
minded pilots and a LOT of that occures after hours in the resturants
and bars right at the hotel-convention complex.

In Atlanta I slept in my modified Ford Taurus camper special in the
parking lot. It's worth it to be near the action.

As for sharing rooms... I slept around a lot in Dallas and I can
tell you that at least some soaring pilots do NOT do it quietly. Each
night I found myself at the SNORING Sociaty of America convention. I
really appreciate the offer of a floor to sleep on but I'll be
bringing my noise cancelling headset this time whether I'm flying in
or not.

MM

Atlanta, our room didn't have high-speed Internet, so I had to use my
national dialup access. Those local calls were $1 each.

Doubletree says the HS Internet in the rooms is included. I don't
know if that includes the WiFi in the other areas. No where on the
web site does it say 'free' Internet, too tacky. Parking is $10/
night. At the 1997 convention, we stayed elsewhere and the walk was
cold and windy, and wet once as I recall. Did the same in Ontario and
got damp there too. But that's all part of the fun.

Frank Whiteley- Hide quoted text -

Hotel Room Themes FLAV8R Piloting 8 June 1st 06 07:52 PM
Anyone Been to the Hangar Hotel? Jay Honeck Piloting 20 February 15th 06 06:41 AM
Anyone want to split room for SSA Convention Jeff Landfield Soaring 1 January 27th 04 06:05 PM
Early morning hotel-to-airport Bob Fry General Aviation 21 July 25th 03 05:51 AM