Sport Pilot Final

Old July 22nd 04, 03:23 AM
Barnyard BOb -

Bob Fry wrote:

"Dr. Bob Lade" writes:

The castored main gear on the Ercoupe

Ercoupes don't have castoring (swiveling, turning, rotating) main gear
(legs). They are simply robust enough to take the side forces
generated by a crabbed landing.

Right you are, Mr. Fry.
The gear design is quite similar to the Beech Mouseketeer, yet.....
some folks just can't believe the Ercoupe trailing links don't swivel.

Barnyard BOb - ex 415C owner

Old July 22nd 04, 03:28 AM
Jim Weir

AAARGGH...one was enough. Two is too many.

Castoring means you are extracting the oil of the castor bean.

Castering means that something swivels.

Jim

Bob Fry

-

http://www.rst-engr.com
Old July 22nd 04, 03:44 AM
Barnyard BOb -

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 19:28:01 -0700, Jim Weir wrote:

AAARGGH...one was enough. Two is too many.

Castoring means you are extracting the oil of the castor bean.

Castering means that something swivels.

Jim

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Beg to differ, Jim.

If you check into this far enough,
you will discover BOTH spellings are in use.

Dictionary.com sez.....

1. One that casts: a caster of nets.
2. also cas·tor (kstr) A small wheel on a swivel, attached under a
piece of furniture or other heavy object to make it easier to move.

ALSO...

http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...1816&dict=CALD

caster
noun (ALSO castor)
a small wheel, usually one of a set, that is fixed to the bottom (of
the leg) of a piece of furniture so that it can be moved easily

Barnyard BOb --

Bob Fry

-

Old July 22nd 04, 04:13 AM
Morgans

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

I'm trying to decide whether I'll bother to renew my 3rd class, when it's
due. The consequences of not passing are pretty severe. Then again, I
have to rent a plane for a BFR every two years. Won't be able to get a

172
and instructor unless I *do* have a medical, unless the local flight

school
has LSAs in the line by the time I'm due....

Ron Wanttaja

I'm sure there are going to be people around with a 2 seat LSA, that will
let you borrow it for the BFR. Good bunch of people, aviators. :-)

Jim in NC

Old July 22nd 04, 05:17 AM
Rich S.

"Barnyard BOb -" wrote in message

Beg to differ, Jim.

If you check into this far enough,
you will discover BOTH spellings are in use.

So Jaun's fantom BD-5 could be casterated OR castorated?

Rich "Give 'im a bilateral orchisotomy, doc!" S.

Old July 22nd 04, 05:46 AM
Ron Wanttaja

On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 23:13:56 -0400, "Morgans"
wrote:

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote

I'm trying to decide whether I'll bother to renew my 3rd class, when it's
due. The consequences of not passing are pretty severe. Then again, I
have to rent a plane for a BFR every two years. Won't be able to get a

172
and instructor unless I *do* have a medical, unless the local flight
school has LSAs in the line by the time I'm due....

I'm sure there are going to be people around with a 2 seat LSA, that will
let you borrow it for the BFR. Good bunch of people, aviators. :-)

I've had several instructor friends offer to administer BFRs for me. But
the problem is, I like to take BFRs with someone I *don't* know. That way
my other friends don't find out how lousy a pilot I am. :-)

I take BFRs a bit more seriously than I ought to, really. I cram on the
regs before going in for the ground stuff, for instance. Last BFR, the
instructor (usual transient at the local FBO) seemed put-out that I hadn't
brought a copy of the FARS so I could look up the answers to his questions.
He gave me one...which rested, unopened, under my folded hands during the
whole ground refresher.

Flight-wise, I really do prefer the instructor is someone I don't know.
Not completely sure why; it very well might reluctance to look bad in front
of a friend. Then again, I probably have an easier time. My instructor
friends all have beaucoup hours and experience, while I always seem to get
the guy at the FBO who just got his CFI the previous week and has barely
over the FAA-minimum time. Every one... EVERY one...for the past eight
years has pulled the "engine failure" routine over a small grass strip just
east of town, usually when the airport is on their side of the airplane.
Said grass strip is one I take the Fly Baby into on a regular basis, and
unlike the CFIs' usual customers, I know DARN well where it's at.

As far as borrowing someone else's plane, I hesitate to do that since their
insurance won't be valid with me drivin' em. Makes me nervous.

I'm just a mass of neuroses, ain't I? :-)

I figured out what I'm going to do. My 3rd class expires in November, my
BFR in February, but I'll take my BFR early, before the medical expires.
That'll give me two years to dig up an LSA ride.

Ron Wanttaja
Old July 22nd 04, 11:25 AM
Vaughn

"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message
The consequences of not passing are pretty severe. Then again, I
have to rent a plane for a BFR every two years. Won't be able to get a 172
and instructor unless I *do* have a medical, unless the local flight school
has LSAs in the line by the time I'm due....

It is possible to get a BFR in a sing-seat airplane, the CFI has to OBSERVE
flying portion. The glider guys do it all the time. It may even still be
possible to get a check ride in a single-seater...anybody know for sure?

As a practical matter, you could do some flying with an instructor in a 152 to
aquire some mutual comfort factor and then he/she could observe you doing some
specified manuvers in your single seater (as long as your BFR has not yet
expired!).

Vaughn

Old July 22nd 04, 12:23 PM
Jerry Springer

Vaughn wrote:
"Ron Wanttaja" wrote in message

The consequences of not passing are pretty severe. Then again, I
have to rent a plane for a BFR every two years. Won't be able to get a 172
and instructor unless I *do* have a medical, unless the local flight school
has LSAs in the line by the time I'm due....

It is possible to get a BFR in a sing-seat airplane, the CFI has to OBSERVE
flying portion. The glider guys do it all the time. It may even still be
possible to get a check ride in a single-seater...anybody know for sure?

As a practical matter, you could do some flying with an instructor in a 152 to
aquire some mutual comfort factor and then he/she could observe you doing some
specified manuvers in your single seater (as long as your BFR has not yet
expired!).

Vaughn

That is not true anymore, you cannot get a flight review in a single seat airplane.

Jerry

Old July 22nd 04, 04:38 PM
ET

Barnyard BOb - wrote in
:

"Dr. Bob Lade" wrote:

Actually, 45 knots = 51.75 mph, so it looks as if the 415C should be
able to have the SLA classification.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Actually, NOT in the U.S.A.. [Pun intended]

Since 1959, the U.S. has used 6,076.115 feet
as the international standard for a nautical mile,
making 45 knots closer to = 51.78507102 mph.

However, there are other standards for a n.m.
Therefore... YMMV. g

Barnyard - PhD challenged - BOb

sorry, my first calculation was Knots with tax (grin). Or maybe I'm just
not tying them right.

--
ET

"A common mistake people make when trying to design something
fools."---- Douglas Adams
Old July 22nd 04, 06:55 PM
James Lloyd

Ron,do we still need a bi-annual?

Pilot Error? Is it Mr. Damron? Badwater Bill Home Built 3 June 23rd 04 04:05 PM
sport pilot humor Occom Home Built 0 April 9th 04 04:22 PM
Sport Pilot Leaves DOT for OMB, Latest News Fitzair4 Home Built 3 December 25th 03 02:49 AM