DG AD NOTE

Old February 14th 06, 06:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default DG AD NOTE

Heres your Valentines day card from the FAA.

DG AD Note.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-fde8ab90326c&

Old February 14th 06, 07:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

pbc76049 wrote:
Heres your Valentines day card from the FAA.

DG AD Note.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-fde8ab90326c&

DG owners, the corresponding technical note has been out for well over a
year, applying to all DG-100, 200, 300, 400, 600, and early production
500 models. Look for a TN with subject "Lower mounting of rudder" for
your model...

Marc

Old February 14th 06, 09:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

HL Falbaum wrote:
Please help with my education. Is a German TN the same as a German AD or is
it not the same thing. Are they equivalent?

Well, a Technical Note of this sort is approved by the LBA (and/or EASA,
these days) and becomes a part of the aircraft type certificate. So
yes, I guess it is sort of a German AD. For those of us who have
Special Airworthiness Certificates in the US, the operating limitations
almost always state that the aircraft must be maintained in compliance
with all technical notes and service bulletins, so effectively they are
equivalent to an AD for US experimental aircraft. The German technical
notes that apply to certified aircraft wend their way through the
various bureaucracies, and become a real US AD within a year or so. In
any case, if I had a certified DG, and a technical note like this came
out, I wouldn't wait for the US AD...

I know the guy who had the rudder fall off. It was during the landing
roll out, so it wasn't a big problem, but still rather disturbing to
consider what would have happened if it had fallen off a few moments
earlier...

Marc
Old February 14th 06, 10:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

My understanding is that and AD is issued by the airworthiness
authority (e.g. the LBA) and the corresponding TN by
the manufacturer to formally describe what needs to
be done and why. Then there might be an appendix issued
by the manufacturer with the real gen about how to
do it.

A typical example that affected myself was the Duo
spar problem. See Technical Note No. 890-3 and AD
No. 2003-245-2 at:

http://www.schempp-hirth.com/en/serv...lungen/index.h
tml

But to confuse things the German LBA for AD seems to
be LTA and for TN read TM:-)

And there are also many manufacturer TNs without an
LBA AD (LTA) having been issued - sometimes for optional
modifications.

Old February 14th 06, 11:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Yes this should be old news to DG owners. I received the FAA notice
months ago and thought it pretty amusing since I'd been aware of this
since late 2004 (the glider I brought already had the fix installed).
It is not hard to look on the DG web site. I see having to do this as
pretty much a reasonable expectation for an owner.

The other TN that amused me from the lack of awarness of it amongst
owners was the DG-300 undercarriage handle mod
(ftp://dgflugzeugbau.de/tn/dg-300/dg-300elan/359-22/). This is a spring
that helps hold the undercarriage handle in it's locked down detent.
When I was buying my DG-303 I asked people who were selling there
glider and other DG-303 owners if they had installed this mod. About
half the time I got a yes and about half the time I got blank look. The
best discussion went "what mod..." ... "oh that exactly happened to me
and my undercarrige collapsed".

Ditto for the DG-300/303 Roeger hook installation
(ftp://dgflugzeugbau.de/tn/dg-300/dg-300elan/359-19) , I'm not sure all
the gliders who could do with this mod have it installed. Like it only
took a pilot getting killed to create this mod, how many older gliders
are flying around without a Roeger hook on the canopy?

Darryl

Old February 15th 06, 02:23 AM
Gadget Guy Gadget Guy is offline
Junior Member

Location: Ft. Collins, CO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbc76049
Heres your Valentines day card from the FAA.

DG AD Note.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?C...-fde8ab90326c&
Just noticed that the FAA does not mention anything about the DG-300. It is on the DG website. It has been there for a while.

John
DG-300 "XLT"
Old February 15th 06, 04:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

http://tinyurl.com/7qnn8

Just noticed that the FAA does not mention anything about the DG-300.
It is on the DG website. It has been there for a while.

The only models that will be mentioned in an AD are those that have a
standard type certificate in the US. The DG-300 doesn't have one...

Marc
Old February 15th 06, 05:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

"HL Falbaum" wrote in message
Please help with my education. Is a German TN the same as a German AD or
is it not the same thing. Are they equivalent?

--
Hartley Falbaum

A TN is roughly equivalent to a service bulletin. A manufacturer
recommended action.
An AD note is a required action.

Old February 15th 06, 06:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I find it amazing and amusing how far apart common sense and
bureaucracy are, even and especially in life threatening situation.
Common sense is to immediately notify all owners and make it required
to fix anything that failed and killed or could kill someone (such as
the rudder AD). FAA bureaucracy however, find it much more important to
deal with certificates, paperworks, regulations and fine prints (such
as the latest Pegasus AD - let's ground all pegasus due to
documentation clarity...).

Ramy