Plane & Car Collide

Old August 13th 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default Plane & Car Collide

More_Flaps wrote:
On Aug 14, 8:05?am, wrote:
Ross wrote:
DaveB wrote:
NEEDLES, Calif. (AP) ? Authorities say the pilot of an experimental
aircraft was taking off Tuesday from a freeway west of Needles where
he'd made an emergency landing when a car slammed into the plane,
ejecting and killing him.

The San Bernardino County sheriff's office reports three occupants in
the car sustained minor injuries from a broken windshield.

The Titan Tornado landed on the Interstate 40 connector road to
Interstate 95 north, about 10 miles west of Needles in eastern San
Bernardino County.

Witnesses told the Federal Aviation Administration the plane was
taking off and was about three feet off the ground when the car
slammed into it.

Daveb
I though I 95 was on the east coast.

It is if you hold a US map upside down.

No, he's correct, I've driven on I95 between DC and Baltimore.
Whether it continues to Coliformia I don't know.

Another failed attempt at humor; I guess I need to keep the day job.

Anyway, AP got it wrong, it is the connector to US 95 that is outside
Needles, CA, not I 95.

At least they got the city right.

FWIW, both I 95 and US 95 run north-south and I 40 intersects I 95
near Raleigh, NC.

--
Jim Pennino

Remove .spam.sux to reply.
Old August 14th 08, 12:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
BT

Again the news papers only report miss information.
I believe they refer to "State Rt" 95.. and Hwy 1 is on the east coast and
parallels Interstate Rte 95
so is Hwy 101 on the west coast (Pacific Coast Hiway) and parrelles
Interstate 5
BT

"DaveB" wrote in message
On Wed, 13 Aug 2008 14:42:30 -0500, Ross wrote:

DaveB wrote:
NEEDLES, Calif. (AP) ? Authorities say the pilot of an experimental
aircraft was taking off Tuesday from a freeway west of Needles where
he'd made an emergency landing when a car slammed into the plane,
ejecting and killing him.

The San Bernardino County sheriff's office reports three occupants in
the car sustained minor injuries from a broken windshield.

The Titan Tornado landed on the Interstate 40 connector road to
Interstate 95 north, about 10 miles west of Needles in eastern San
Bernardino County.

Witnesses told the Federal Aviation Administration the plane was
taking off and was about three feet off the ground when the car
slammed into it.

Daveb

I though I 95 was on the east coast.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP

http://www.abclocal.go.com/kabc/stor...ire&id=6322911
Daveb

Old August 14th 08, 12:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe

"More_Flaps" wrote in message
No, he's correct, I've driven on I95 between DC and Baltimore.
Whether it continues to Coliformia I don't know.

Odd numbered Interstate highways run North /South and are numbered starting
on the West Coast.
Even numbered Interstate highways run East/ West numbering from teh south.
3 digit numbers are brnch highways around (even first digit) or into (odd
first digit) cities.

IN generatl, odd numbered US Routes run North/South and even numbers run
East/West but the numbers start in the North East

"The Titan Tornado landed on the Interstate 40 connector road to
Interstate 95 north, about 10 miles west of Needles in eastern San
Bernardino County. "

If you check a map, you will see that _US_ 95 connects to I-40 just west
of Needles.

--
Geoff
The Sea Hawk at Wow Way d0t Com

Old August 14th 08, 03:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ken S. Tucker

On Aug 13, 4:34 pm, "Capt. Geoffrey Thorpe" The Sea Hawk @See My
Sig.com wrote:
"More_Flaps" wrote in message

[...]

It was my impression the US and Canux are usually
fly-friendly, like "any port in a storm" sort of thinking.
Something sounds weird, maybe pilot error???
Ken
Old August 14th 08, 08:31 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 13, 8:10 pm, "Ken S. Tucker" wrote:

It was my impression the US and Canux are usually
fly-friendly, like "any port in a storm" sort of thinking.
Something sounds weird, maybe pilot error???

The law usually doesn't mind if a pilot has to set down on a road
if he has engine trouble, unless there's a perfectly good alternative
like a smooth field or whatever. But they don't have to let you take
off again if the risk or inconvenience to other folks is too large.
Lots of guys have had to dismantle the airplane and haul it to an
airport intead of taking off on the highway.
There's a video on YouTube of a guy taking off in his Cessna 210
after being forced down, but the road is narrow and has vehicles
parked along it, one of which a wing catches on the takeoff, causing a
crash. Shoulda trucked it out.

Dan

Old August 15th 08, 12:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Morgans[_2_]

wrote

The law usually doesn't mind if a pilot has to set down on a road
if he has engine trouble, unless there's a perfectly good alternative
like a smooth field or whatever. But they don't have to let you take
off again if the risk or inconvenience to other folks is too large.
Lots of guys have had to dismantle the airplane and haul it to an
airport intead of taking off on the highway.
There's a video on YouTube of a guy taking off in his Cessna 210
after being forced down, but the road is narrow and has vehicles
parked along it, one of which a wing catches on the takeoff, causing a
crash. Shoulda trucked it out.

After doing some googleing, it is unclear to me as to if he was taking off,
or landing. Some reports say landing; probably the majority of them.

Does anyone have first hand knowledge as to what is the real sequence of
events?
--
Jim in NC

Old August 15th 08, 01:13 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 14, 5:03*pm, "Morgans" wrote:
[...]

If it is the one I remember. he ran out of fuel and made a successful
emergency landing, pulled it into a shopping center parking lot, got
some fuel. By this time the TV crews had shown up and positioned their
cameras. The local cops then allowed him to try to take off. He
probably would have made it if not for the truck parked along the
road. Did ya see how fast that thing made a right turn after clipping
the trucks mirror???? Rule #1. measure the width of the road and any
obstructions "before" the take off roll... G
Old August 15th 08, 02:47 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

On Aug 14, 5:03 pm, "Morgans" wrote:

After doing some googleing, it is unclear to me as to if he was taking off,
or landing. Some reports say landing; probably the majority of them.

Flaps are up, which would normally indicate takeoff. I don't
think he'd try an emergency landing on a road with no flaps and the
associated higher landing speed.

Dan