all-weather covers from Kerry Cover Co. Ltd.

Old December 10th 16, 11:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default all-weather covers from Kerry Cover Co. Ltd.

Mine are four years old and seem in fine condition. They are on the ship almost all of the time: however, that is inside my hangar. The only time they are used outside is at contests maybe three or four weeks per year. Here is the real question for me. Should I run them through the washing machine just to clean them up, or would that cause problems of some kind?

David
ASG29E BV
Old December 11th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
MNLou

On Saturday, December 10, 2016 at 5:03:53 PM UTC-6, wrote:
snip - Should I run them through the washing machine just to clean them up, or would that cause problems of some kind?

David
ASG29E BV

After a very dusty trip out west, we chose to wash my covers. No apparent issues at all. It takes a fairly large space to lay them out to dry.

Lou

Old December 11th 16, 06:50 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Paul Villinski

I've had two sets of Kerry covers on two different ships. The first set, purchased from Wings and Wheels, held up very well. Manufacturing was without issues, and the covers yellowed slightly over a period of several years with frequent use. I ordered the next set for use with a DG-400 even before the glider arrived. Quality and performance of the second set is identical to the first. I expect to get anywhere from a half-dozen years to a decade out of them. Typical usage is a couple of nights on the weekends throughout the season (glider is stored back in the trailer during the week) and some extended periods of up to a month or so during soaring trips or encampments where I am flying most days and choose to leave the ship tied-out.
Old December 11th 16, 02:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

I had one set and unfortunately the horizontal stab cover was a little small. I would not buy again because of that. I was able to put the covers on with difficulty.
Old December 13th 16, 03:49 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Soartech

My Kerry covers were purchased 2 years ago from Northeast Sailplane and are holding up well. They are outside all summer and are still in great shape. I even washed them in the machine once and they came out fine. I tested them for UV and they do stop UV from getting through. Fit is nearly perfect and they come with a nice storage bag.

Old December 13th 16, 05:06 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Sean[_2_]

Have mine in Australia. Several years old, washed them in industrial washing machine once and they are like new.

I have probably used them for 50 days now total.
Old December 13th 16, 11:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I purchased my covers from them, standard + hail. Lewis communicated promptly & effectively, zero delay in shipping and the covers have been in service for over a year. A fellow club member has been using same for over 4 years without issue. The material is of good quality and sewing fine from a functional point of view but 'unpolished' from an aesthetic point of view. The bungee/clip system provided for securing it was inadequate. Whilst I was nervous sending money to a Chinese bank account, the whole process turned out to be painless and I'm happy with the end product, especially given the price.

CJ
Old December 13th 16, 11:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Old December 13th 16, 12:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Philpott[_2_]

I responded tot his post five years ago. Since then, I have sold my
50% share in a Duo Discus and bought a Ventus cT.

I only wanted covers for occasional use. The Ventus is easy to rig and I
keep it in its trailer for most of the time. I only leave it parked out
under covers if we have a run of good weather, which is a rarity here
in the UK!

The service from Kerry Covers was excellent. They do not accept credit
card payment so I was worried about lack of consumer protection. I
had to wire the money across to China. I did this on a Monday and the
covers were delivered direct from China to me at Lasham on the
Thursday of the same week. I was subsequently charged import duty
but the majority of that charge was the courier's handling fee.

In terms of use, the Kerry covers fit adequately but after only two
seasons of very occasional use, they have become mouldy in places on
the inside and a sticky white residue has formed on the outside. This
sticks to your clothes when fitting and removing the covers. In short,
they have not lasted well.

Meanwhile, I see that the Vertigo covers that were bought nearly ten
years ago, are still being used on the Duo and are in daily use
throughout the season are still going strong.

Moral of the story: Buy cheap, buy twice. I will be replacing my Kerry
Covers with Vertigos in due course.

Old December 14th 16, 12:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Springford

Perhaps living on a soggy little island caused the mold issues with Mike's covers.

I have a set and have used them for 5 seasons and they are holding up extremely well. They are probably used about 40 nights a year between contests and nights at home.

I have seen no evidence of the problems Mike has had.

They are 1/3 the price of the expensive covers and I expect I'll get 10 years out of them.

Pretty good value in my opinion

Clouddancer covers Martin Gregorie[_5_] Soaring 2 February 2nd 10 04:15 AM
Canopy Covers [email protected] Soaring 1 June 29th 05 12:07 AM
Warm Weather Pilots, Cold Weather Ops john smith Piloting 3 December 2nd 04 04:00 PM
Jaxeda covers Andy Melville Soaring 2 March 8th 04 08:42 PM
And they say the automated Weather Station problems "ASOS" are insignificant because only light aircraft need Weather Observations and forecasts... Roy Piloting 4 July 12th 03 04:03 PM