Trailer tire recommendations

Old May 11th 14, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Trailer tire recommendations

Apologies if this has been already discussed-to-death....

I need to replace the tires on my Cobra trailer, including the spare.

Any glowing recommendations for the best ones out there?

Size 175/70 r14

I'm actually having a little trouble finding that size at the local dealers....and I'm tired of telling them I don't want polyester, non-radial tires!

So....what's your favorite tire that is dependable, smooth riding.....etc??

Thanks,

J4

Old May 11th 14, 11:48 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Hartley Falbaum[_2_]

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Apologies if this has been already discussed-to-death....

I need to replace the tires on my Cobra trailer, including the spare.

Any glowing recommendations for the best ones out there?

Size 175/70 r14

I'm actually having a little trouble finding that size at the local dealers....and I'm tired of telling them I don't want polyester, non-radial tires!

So....what's your favorite tire that is dependable, smooth riding.....etc??

Thanks,

J4

At the suggestion of YO, via r.a.s. I replaced my tires with Kumho 857 trailer tires. Smallest size 185/14R --the fit fine on my Cobra, replacing the 175/70 R14 with room to spare. They ride smoothly, and track true at any speed I care to drive. They cost more than the Maxxis by a good bit, but worth every penny! They are rated for weight way above my load, so I inflated to 50psi instead of the 65psi max.
Old May 12th 14, 12:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 10:46:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Apologies if this has been already discussed-to-death....

I need to replace the tires on my Cobra trailer, including the spare.

Any glowing recommendations for the best ones out there?

I probably put more miles on my trailer than just about anyone else, and I generally just get a decent mid-range passenger radial. My latest set is a pair of 175/70 R14 'Epic Tour' steel-belted radials. I run at 75+ all the time and have not seen any problems at all. Remember that most trailer tires die from old age long before they run out of tread.

Frank (TA)

Old May 12th 14, 12:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Sunday, May 11, 2014 8:46:01 AM UTC-6, wrote:
Apologies if this has been already discussed-to-death....

I need to replace the tires on my Cobra trailer, including the spare.

Any glowing recommendations for the best ones out there?

Size 175/70 r14

I'm actually having a little trouble finding that size at the local dealers....and I'm tired of telling them I don't want polyester, non-radial tires!

So....what's your favorite tire that is dependable, smooth riding.....etc??

Thanks,

J4

I have had good luck with Northern Tool. They have all kinds of trailer supplies. I replaced my axel, hubs, tires and wheels for a very reasonable price 5 years ago and they are still going strong. I bought 2 new spare tires and wheels last year. Price includes shipping delivered to your door. I run these at high speeds with no problems at all.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...5326_200365326

Old May 12th 14, 01:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I need to replace the tires on my Cobra trailer, including the spare.

Any glowing recommendations for the best ones out there?

Size 175/70 r14

I'm actually having a little trouble finding that size at the local dealers....and I'm tired of telling them I don't want polyester, non-radial tires!

Sorry, I should have read a little more carefully. I checked and Northern Tool doesn't have that size. I guess the question is whether the 205s will fit on a Cobra trailer. It seems like the Cobra hardware is hard to get here in the USA. Maybe the best thing to do is to convert to a common size. It will make getting replacements easier when stranded on a road trip.
Old May 12th 14, 01:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kirk.stant

This has been hashed over in the past, and the best advice is probably:

"Its a trailer - get trailer tires".

Some guys swear by their car tire of choice, but logically, getting tires designed for the job makes more sense to me. YMMV, of course.

And if your car-trailer combo is susceptible to sway, trailer tires are a good place to start to solve that problem. That worked wonders for my Jeep Cherokee - Cobra combo.

Kirk
66

Cobra trailer tire size? Tuno Soaring 15 June 8th 10 06:39 AM
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer Papa3 Soaring 4 October 24th 08 12:22 AM
Tire Size for 8 Year Old Komet Trailer Uncle Fuzzy Soaring 0 October 23rd 08 10:39 PM
Trailer tire rims Gary Carter Soaring 7 January 21st 05 03:15 PM
Tire Stiffness & trailer swaying chris Soaring 42 October 22nd 03 03:51 AM