Warm boots for cold flying days

Old November 29th 16, 10:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

Default Warm boots for cold flying days

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:33:22 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Northface Thermoball Bootie. Has enough of a sole that you can walk short distances but not too bulky to fit in the rudder pedal bays of my -29. Replace the insole with a higher quality one such as Toasty Feet.

P3

This one looks interesting. I infer from your post that I could remove the insole and put my electric one in, correct?

Andrzej
Old November 29th 16, 11:00 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 5:58:55 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 10:33:22 AM UTC-5, Papa3 wrote:
Northface Thermoball Bootie. Has enough of a sole that you can walk short distances but not too bulky to fit in the rudder pedal bays of my -29. Replace the insole with a higher quality one such as Toasty Feet.

P3

This one looks interesting. I infer from your post that I could remove the insole and put my electric one in, correct?

Andrzej

Eric, one more thing. Do these boots allow for moisture to escape your foot.
Old November 29th 16, 11:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrzej Kobus

On Tuesday, November 29, 2016 at 2:56:10 AM UTC-5, Tango Whisky wrote:
I have bought SkyBoots
http://www.streckenflug.at/shop/prod...oducts_id=1661

You step in with your normal boots. They look very bulky, but they will snug well into the cockpit, you'll actaually never feel them being on. Incredibly warm.

My only question is do these boots "breath". Nylon might cause sweaty feet.
Old November 30th 16, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

I wore my thick, insulated cycling booties over my sneakers. they are thick neoprene. Worked great.

JP
Old November 30th 16, 04:10 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

Yes you can put either an electric or a thicker non-electic insole in. The ones that come with them are pretty flimsy. They definitely seem to breath; among other things they allow for chemical hand warmers to be inserted into a pocket, and those only work if there is some oxygen available. In my experience, it's the bottoms of my feet that get the coldest, so a thicker insole or an electric insole is the key.

p3
Old November 30th 16, 03:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Do not use chemical heat packs if going to high altitudes.
You will have cold feet when you need the heat and it will get VERY uncomfortably HOT when you are coming down to land.

Electric socks should be thoroughly tested before using. Some get too warm and you can't reach the switch to turn them off.

I found Sorels to be perfect.
Old November 30th 16, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
firsys

On Monday, November 28, 2016 at 8:46:12 PM UTC-5, Andrzej Kobus wrote:
Please post your suggestions. I need something warm but not too bulky.

Andrzej

for Dan Marotta;below zero? which zero is that
JMF
Old November 30th 16, 04:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dan Marotta

Fahrenheit. I don't speak metric since retiring. I was referring to
Upstate New York where they use so much salt that the roads were wet at
-5 deg F. Remarkably my Harley has absolutely no rust, unlike the
Subaru which I also drove. I was genuinely concerned that it would
break in half due to rust.

--
Dan, 5J
Old November 30th 16, 07:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Papa3[_2_]

My college roomate was from Vermont (similarly liberal users of road salt). We're driving in his early 1980s Subie when someone pulls out in front of us. He hits the brakes and I instinctively plant both feet firmly on the floor. As we stop, I look down and realize I've just pushed right through the floorboards, and I'm staring at pavement.

Of course, being in college, we just found a piece of plywood, cut to fit, and went on with our lives...
Old November 30th 16, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Wednesday, November 30, 2016 at 1:14:23 PM UTC-6, Papa3 wrote:
My college roomate was from Vermont (similarly liberal users of road salt). We're driving in his early 1980s Subie when someone pulls out in front of us. He hits the brakes and I instinctively plant both feet firmly on the floor. As we stop, I look down and realize I've just pushed right through the floorboards, and I'm staring at pavement.

Of course, being in college, we just found a piece of plywood, cut to fit, and went on with our lives...

Eric, it sounds like the warm boots would have come in handy that this thread is about ; )