Ercoupe

Old March 10th 08, 10:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Default Ercoupe

On Mar 10, 6:36 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 6:08 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 5:09 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:
Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
If you can stand a single holer, there's this (with rudder peds):
http://www.theminicoupe.com/_wsn/page2.html
Not many flying I think. Looks fun though.
Now that's.. mini.
Dan
Mooney made something way back when called the Mite. I flew it a couple
of times. That thing was small; little single seater; not a bad aileron
roll either :-))
--
Dudley Henriques
The mite! I think there's one at my home field (or so I'm told --

--
Dudley Henriques

Now that was an awesome scene...

When I was a kid there's was only one plane for me -- the BD-5J.

Thank God for maturity!

Dan

Cork says the hardest thing about the scene was figuring the shock wave
bounce back off the interior hangar walls as he flew the airplane
through. His team brought in a physics whiz (not Tucker BTW :-) who ran
the numbers and came up with the exact amount they had to open the side
windows to keep the shock from bouncing back on the aircraft as he went
through. If that happened, he would have been killed.
You're right, it was a great stunt. Cork has done a lot of them in
different movies. He and his dad Bill Fornof were both charter members
of the IFPF which I founded. Great people the Fornofs.

--
Dudley Henriques

IFPF -- do you know Buck Buchanan?
Old March 11th 08, 12:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

I don't think so. IFPF was the International Fighter Pilots Fellowship.
Google IFPF History for a skinny.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 11th 08, 12:04 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 10, 1:35*pm, xyzzy wrote:
On Mar 9, 8:41 pm, Dan wrote:

On Mar 9, 8:38 pm, Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

Dan wrote :

On Mar 9, 8:23 pm, Dudley Henriques wrote:

I've flown the Ercoupe. Not much to it really. It was fun running the
side windows down and flying along with my arm out on the edge of the
cockpit sort of like in a car.
The landings were a bit different if you had any crosswind at all,
but easily doable in the crab. Take off was the same. As soon as you
broke ground, it weather vaned into the wind with aileron. Sort of a
"spooky" little airplane but it flew quite well and was quite fast
for its day.

The one I flew didn't have the later rudder capability. Never flew
the Alon.

--
Dudley Henriques

Are you supposed to kick out the crab or land crabbed?

There's nothing to kick. It has a Brake pedal out of a 39 nash on the
floor and that's it.

Bertie

holy cow...

so you expect to side load?

It straightens itself out on landing

There's some video of an Ercoupe crosswind landing starting at 5:42 in
this clip...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ob7toBLP2I
Old March 11th 08, 12:25 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Phil J

On Mar 9, 2:31*pm, Dan wrote:
Perhaps someone will know...

Why hasn't the Ercoupe design been repackaged as a kit or LSA? It
seems to be the ideal design for the casual weekend flier (with or
without rudder pedals).

Side by side, sips fuel, low gross weight, proven design, etc.

I'm not interested in buying one (see "slow") but the few people I
know who own or have flown them have nothing but praise for the design
given its mission.

Dan

There was a group working on a modernized composite kit version.
Don't know if they are still at it or not. Here's a link...

http://www.homebuilt.org/aircraft/ka...aaircraft.html

Phil
Old March 11th 08, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bertie the Bunyip[_24_]

"Kloudy via AviationKB.com" u33403@uwe wrote in

Bertie the Bunyip wrote:

It was Earl Stahl. If anyone wants to make one i got some drawings for
it somewhere.

Bertie

a goldmine under yer mattress

God if I had a nickel for every prospective project i had lying around..
Old March 11th 08, 01:56 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

oops..ok..wrong group...

Found the link. Quite an elite group!

Doug Bader?!?
Old March 11th 08, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dudley Henriques[_2_]

Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

An old friend and charter member of the IFPF. Don't know if you are
asking who he was or not, but Douglas is well known as the legless ace
of the Battle of Britain.

To me, he was much more than that. One of the finest people I have ever
known, Douglas devoted his entire life to helping the physically
impaired, especially amputee children.

--
Dudley Henriques
Old March 11th 08, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Dan[_10_]

Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Yes.. I read his book when I was 12 or so..

That sort of man can only deserve a deep an abiding respect.

Dan

Old March 11th 08, 02:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Dan wrote:
On Mar 10, 1:18 pm, wrote:
[...]

Dudley Henriques- Hide quoted text -

WOW.

I just became familiar with Douglas Bader's contributions during the
Battle of Britain by fiinishing off Peter Townsend's "Duel of Eagles"
just last night (it was a months long effort.) I believe Bader was
later shot down and spent some time at least breifly in the custody of
Adolf Galland. Adolf writes about it in his book "The First and The
Last". IIRC there's a section in that book where the Germans asked the
English to send over a pair of prosthetic legs for Bader -- and they
gave a location. The English came over and bombed the crap out of the
SOBs. Then they dropped a canister with the legs in them after they
were done.

Bader also tried to convince Galland to let him try out flying an ME
109. Galland wasn't quite convinced. He reports thinking that Bader
would have definitely made a run for it.

I don't remember if Bader later escaped. Galland reported that he was
constantly conniving to do so. And furthermore had nothing but
contempt for the "gentlemanly" business of shooting at someone in the
air and then giving them the four star honor treatment once on the
ground. I dunno of course, I wasn't there. I wasn't born for another
twenty years!

Bader is definitely an inspirational figure.