DHMO for cleaning off bugs

Old July 2nd 08, 11:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jon Woellhaf

Default DHMO for cleaning off bugs

After a short 1.5 hour sightseeing flight today I tried using 100% DHMO to
clean the bugs off the leading edges. It worked surprisingly well. Despite
my precautions, I got a little in my eyes and a lot on my hands and arms,
but I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

Jon

Old July 2nd 08, 11:29 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Dennis Johnson

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
. ..
After a short 1.5 hour sightseeing flight today I tried using 100% DHMO to
clean the bugs off the leading edges. It worked surprisingly well. Despite
my precautions, I got a little in my eyes and a lot on my hands and arms,
but I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

Jon

Hell, I've been using that stuff for years and it hasn't hurt me! In fact,
I sometimes even drink the stuff!

Dennis

Old July 2nd 08, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Kyle Boatright

Whatever you do, don't get it in your lungs! That stuff has killed a lot of
people over the years.

Old July 2nd 08, 11:55 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
. ..
After a short 1.5 hour sightseeing flight today I tried using 100% DHMO to
clean the bugs off the leading edges. It worked surprisingly well. Despite
my precautions, I got a little in my eyes and a lot on my hands and arms,
but I haven't noticed any adverse effects yet.

I wouldn't use any cleaner on my plane unless I knew the reactive effects of
it with paint and alluminum. Even so-called "green" cleaners may not be
safe for your plane.

Personally I just spray all the leading edges down with water, allow the
bugs to reconstitute for about 5-10 minutes and they wipe right off with
little effort. The microfiber towels you can get at Costco or Sams work
great. For the windows I use sprayway glass cleaner available at Wal-mart
for $2 per can. It works great, is not prone to streaking, and it's
completely safe for plexiglass.

Old July 2nd 08, 11:59 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:55:22 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

Um, DHMO... dihydrogen monoxide.... I guess the whoosh was not
reading closely enough?
Old July 3rd 08, 12:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:55:22 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I guess so. You got a MSDS for that?

Old July 3rd 08, 12:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:07:08 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 22:55:22 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Jon Woellhaf" wrote in message
om...
[...]

Dihydroden monoxide - H20....
Old July 3rd 08, 12:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

news:MMSdnXVlLPvGnfHVnZ2dnUVZ_uGdnZ2d@comcast. com...
[...]

I got that part.

I'm just following up sarcasm with a bit more sarcasm.

Old July 3rd 08, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Peter Clark

On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:36:47 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

[...]

Sorry, wasn't trying to be sarcastic, my meter's busted right now and
thought your reply was being serious. Anyway. Should add 8hrs from
bottle to keyboard I guess.
Old July 3rd 08, 12:43 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Mike[_22_]

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:36:47 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Peter Clark" wrote in message
. ..
On Wed, 02 Jul 2008 23:07:08 GMT, "Mike" wrote:

"Peter Clark" wrote in
message
m...
[...]

The first one was. I had no idea what DHMO was. Expanding it made a bit
more sense.