Which Gel Coat for light repairs on S.H.

Old June 15th 20, 03:38 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Default Which Gel Coat for light repairs on S.H.

I'd like to do some light repairs on my S.H. Ventus Ct. With original finish in very good condition.

I just want to clean up a couple of areas of light hanger rash. Some light dings and chips.

I've read several articles on Gel Coat repairs, but would like to get a good idea on the best gel coat to order for this type of work.

Thank you,
Mike N.
Old June 15th 20, 01:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
KG[_2_]

Mike N.http://www.simteccoatings.com/Productlist.ivnu

Old June 15th 20, 01:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 8:15:21 AM UTC-4, KG wrote:
On Sunday, June 14, 2020 at 10:38:04 PM UTC-4, Mike N. wrote:
I'd like to do some light repairs on my S.H. Ventus Ct. With original finish in very good condition.

I just want to clean up a couple of areas of light hanger rash. Some light dings and chips.

I've read several articles on Gel Coat repairs, but would like to get a good idea on the best gel coat to order for this type of work.

Thank you,
Mike N.http://www.simteccoatings.com/Productlist.ivnu

Order 2481 and catalyst from Simtec.
UH
Old June 15th 20, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Order 2481 and catalyst from Simtec.
UH

Interesting, the instructions say before applying to wipe down with
slow evaporating lacquer thinner or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).
instead of acetone.

Old June 15th 20, 03:46 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 9:20:56 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Order 2481 and catalyst from Simtec.
UH

Interesting, the instructions say before applying to wipe down with
slow evaporating lacquer thinner or IPA (Isopropyl Alcohol).
instead of acetone.

Water and very fine sandpaper will get contaminants off and proved tooth for new material.
Every solvent I've tried smears contaminants and provides no assurance of a good surface to bond to.
Just one guy's experience.
UH

Old June 15th 20, 11:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

If your near SE Georgia USA I have everything you need left over from refinishing XF I’ll give you for free. Pickup only though!

Lane Bush
Old June 16th 20, 12:02 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 15, 2020 at 4:18:39 PM UTC-6, Dan Marotta wrote:
Wipe down with IPA???Â* I'd rather drink it! :-D

IPA is fine as beer, (India Pale Ale) but as IPA (isopropyl alcohol) it isn't. The label says, "For external use only. If taken internally, serious gastric disturbances will result."

But then again, eight or ten India Pale Ales will also lead to serious gastric disturbances.
Old June 16th 20, 01:24 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike N.

Thanks, I am in Utah.
How about I pay for shipping?

Mike
Old June 19th 20, 04:34 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Agree on the Simtec 2781. The will include a flex additive to the paint if requested if painting bendy bits.

gel coat BobWa43 Soaring 54 November 1st 19 09:20 PM
Gel coat removal - is this okay?!? Kevin Christner Soaring 13 July 10th 15 03:44 PM
Gel coat inspection Matt Keast[_2_] Soaring 12 October 26th 07 09:14 PM
Gel Coat Question Gary Emerson Soaring 2 September 12th 07 11:56 AM
Gel Coat for Dummies Ray Lovinggood Soaring 2 December 12th 04 09:15 PM