Some really spirited discussions:

Old September 19th 10, 02:18 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Some really spirited discussions:

The question as to what trainer might be best for the future obviously hit a nerve with some people. As always, opinions are like rear ends, everyone has one and some carry more weight than others.

For most of us, it didn't matter what the club or commercial operator had for training, we wanted to fly and if that meant a trash can with wings then so be it. Sure, sexy sells and human nature is to be drawn to that which is most appealing to the eye. On the other hand, finances quickly step in to the equation and clubs/operators buy what they can afford to maintain their viability.

The Blanik L-13 debacle might make some stay away from the Super Blanik. If LET isn't going to come up with an approved fix for the problem that could put a lot of clubs/operators in a pickle. It would seem to me that such a lack of response might factor into the decisions of what glider to buy for future use.

The real pressing concern with our sport that needs to be addressed is the falling number of participants. There is strength in numbers and if our numbers are falling, soon our airspace and glider ports might diminish too. While this seems to be fine with some participants, keeps the traffic in the pattern down and access to a quick tow more available the bottom line is that at some point we will be but a memory in the flying community.

So what do we do? I have decided that it is my goal to recruit at least one of my friends to this sport this year. I have a couple of friends who fly power and express interest and curiosity into what gliding is all about. Thus far I have managed to get one in the front seat of a Grob 103 for a ride which went well. He is interested but distance to the glider port and his wife seem to be the obstacle. (Women, can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.)

If we all manage to recruit one new participant we would double our ranks. The ASA would grow, income and profits would be the result for commercial operators. Clubs would become more viable, upgrades to aircraft would follow and the future of the sport would improve.

Who knows, maybe gliding would become an olympic sport and replace curling, whatever the heck that is.

Walt
Old September 20th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

--
Walt Connelly

In the 50's there was the following acronym in each Soaring magazine:

E.M.G.A.M.

Every Member Get A Member

good on you Walt
Old September 20th 10, 02:53 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jsbrake[_2_]

I did my part... my wife just qualified for her licence last week.
Working on getting my kids interested.

As for curling: toss a 40-lb rock across a sheet of ice, closest to
target wins. Or were you being facetious?