Wing Runner: Responsibilities and Training

Old April 14th 11, 01:43 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Wing Runner: Responsibilities and Training

I don't want to beat a dead horse here but there seems to be some conflict of opinion as to whose responsibility certain aspects of launching a glider might be. While I am not THE authority on the subject, I can only go with what I have been taught, what I have learned and observed and the recommendations of the Soaring Safety Foundation found on the SSA website.

While it is always the pilots ultimate responsibility to comply with the pre take off check list, there are co-responsibilities which fall on the shoulders of the hook up person and the tow pilot. While there is a plethora of information on the SSF/SSA site, here is a basic synopsis of the tasks and responsibilities of the launch team.
" It is also important to realize that the tow pilot and the pilot of the glider have very limited rearward visibility and restricted forward visibility from the cockpit. They rely heavily on the wing runner to monitor the operation for potential hazards during the launch of the glider.

Sequence of Events

The wing runner clears the area around the glider of people and movable obstructions.
The wing runner checks the glider canopy for security and that all external devices such as wing and tail dollies are removed. The wing runner should also confirm that the glider's spoilers / divebrakes are closed.
The wing runner checks the traffic pattern for conflicting traffic and ensures that the area ahead and to the sides is clear of obstructions. These include parked gliders, vehicles, spectators, and anything else that could constitute a collision hazard if the tow were to be aborted. [See the Note immediately below.]
The wing runner should announce that the "pattern is clear" or point our conflicting traffic.
Once the glider pilot has signaled appropriately, the wing runner gives the signal to the tow pilot to remove slack
If necessary, the wing runner signals "hold" to indicate to the tow pilot to hold position.
Note: It must be kept in mind that in the event of a tow abort when the glider has not yet achieved full lateral or directional control, a dropped wing or uncommanded change in direction could result in the glider performing a "ground loop" – the out-of-control glider following a circular path (which could be several hundred feet in diameter, depending on the glider speed) off to one side or the other. The safe course is to ensure that there is an area clear of all obstructions ahead and to the side of the glider about to be towed. The size of this area depends on the circumstances, including the type of glider being towed, and the strength and direction of the wind. If in doubt, the wing runner should seek the advice of the glider pilot – he/she has the final decision."

It has become obvious to this observer that the quality of training of launch personnel varies greatly from location to location. The "it's not my job" syndrome can lead to catastrophe and it is incumbent upon all of us to intervene when appropriate.

In the past few months I have seen pilots from clubs who have come down from the frozen north have their club members or wives perform their hook up duties. From these I have observed take off's with tail dollies left on, failure of the launch crew to clear the pattern visually allowing a take off with a glider ready to turn base, (there was NO visual check) trying to hook up a Schweizer ring to a Tost hook and not knowing the difference. (Yes, I too was in disbelief.) Again, it's not just lifting the wing when you get a thumbs up folks.

I too have made mistakes on launches. With several glassholes sitting strapped in under the hot Florida sun and one tow plane in operation, nerves get short and human nature is to try to speed things up. When this happens there can be a tendency to forget a step. I am always willing to help find a shoulder strap, lower the canopy, install a canopy, (1-35's and Libelle's) and perform other functions as necessary. I have even found it necessary to show the uninitiated how to properly strap on a parachute. When the chest strap hardware is where your bow tie should be, something's wrong. Good time to go back and read Alan Silver's article on parachutes in the SSA magazine.

We can take the "it's not my job" attitude, but what might happen when it is our turn to fly? I want the launch crew to stop the operation if I have made a mistake. When I launch you, I will try to do it correctly. When you launch me, I hope you will too.

Walt

JJ's Wing Runner JJ Sinclair Soaring 0 December 15th 07 03:41 PM
No wing runner? Steve Leonard Soaring 14 August 30th 07 09:39 PM
No wing runner? JJ Sinclair Soaring 9 August 27th 07 11:50 AM
Anyone building/flying a Ridge Runner? Russell Duffy Home Built 10 September 16th 05 02:58 PM
8th Fighter Wing training for war Otis Willie Military Aviation 0 October 4th 03 07:39 PM