Need help testing new SN10 firmware

Old June 23rd 19, 03:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Need help testing new SN10 firmware

I hate all of this disparaging garbage about Windows, IE, etc. If you don't like the OS or the browser fine, don't use them, but don't go telling the world that they don't/won't work to download .ndb off the the Exchange. As a proof point I just pulled down several .ndb files off the the Exchange using both IE 11 and Edge on Win 10 - both browsers worked flawlessly and downloaded all of the files with no problems whatsoever.

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 9:56:43 AM UTC-5, wrote:
On Thursday, June 20, 2019 at 8:34:31 PM UTC-4, wrote:
I was just asking how to get a ndb file from wwte. I'm sure you use many. If I can't get a file I can't use sn10

the Internet Explorer and Windows don't get along with the SN10 NDB files
This is a Quote from John Leibacher. "This has unfortunately caused considerable grief for a number of users"
John has some suggestions on how to get around the problem.
My fix was to simply do the SN10 file download on my android phone, problem solved.
So in the future if someone ask for help on this problem I would simply say use your Android smart phone instead of your windows pc.
Thanks for the help :-(
Glen

Old June 24th 19, 04:15 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
5Z

On Saturday, June 22, 2019 at 7:32:54 PM UTC-7, wrote:
I hate all of this disparaging garbage about Windows, IE, etc.

MICROSOFT'S SECURITY BOSS has told punters that its venerable browser, Internet Explorer, isn't actually a browser in a bout of Magrittian surrealism.

Chris Jackson told the world in a blog post that Internet Explorer is, in fact, a 'compatibility solution' and shouldn't be used as a daily driver by anyone who doesn't need to.

https://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer...-not-a-browser

Old June 24th 19, 04:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:18:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
IE and Edge on Win 10 DO actually work to download the files we're
discussing, contrary to the FUD that was previously posted?

Many, Many, Many users are still using older versions.
Many versions append ".TXT." to the filename on download.
It is beyond the understanding/ability of many Windows user to remove the ".TXT",
hence the recommendation to use a modern browser...

If you like, we can refer support questions to you ;-)
Old June 24th 19, 04:56 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

OK, fair enough, of course there are still dinosaurs left running really old stuff. Not sure I'd agree with saying that number is, "Many, Many, Many users..." though.

According to Statista global market share statistics, as of Feb, 2019 IE 11 has 2.19%, Edge 1.52% and the lowest published share is Firefox 64.0 at 0.54% so the really old IE versions must be somewhere less than 1/2 of 1%. Of course, Chrome now owns the browser market with 57.66%. Safari is the only other browser with more than 2.7% share.

OK, hows that for some thread drift!

Old June 24th 19, 05:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Dave Nadler

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:56:31 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Not sure I'd agree with saying that number is, "Many, Many, Many users..."

Share of IE on desktops is still ~10%:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_...f_web_browsers
That's a LOT of users.

Old June 25th 19, 09:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:26:29 AM UTC-4, Dave Nadler wrote:
On Monday, June 24, 2019 at 11:18:36 AM UTC-4, wrote:
IE and Edge on Win 10 DO actually work to download the files we're
discussing, contrary to the FUD that was previously posted?

Many, Many, Many users are still using older versions.
Many versions append ".TXT." to the filename on download.
It is beyond the understanding/ability of many Windows user to remove the ".TXT",
hence the recommendation to use a modern browser...

If you like, we can refer support questions to you ;-)

I would recommend that all users learn to handle simple things like fixing up the file suffix. It's basic computer literacy. If you can fly a glider and use a glide computer you can learn that. And it will help you in other parts of your modern life, since there are plenty of web sites that offer files with mangled suffixes. HTML masquerading as DOC or XLS, for example..