Glider Rental Insurance:

Old August 15th 10, 02:06 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Glider Rental Insurance:

A rather unfortunate event at the gliderport I frequent has prompted me to ask a few questions regarding renters insurance for gliders. The unfortunate individual whose flying (or lack thereof) resulted in the loss of a Schweizer 1-34 will, I understand, be responsible for the deductible portion of the insurance. Reasonable and understandable if you ask me.

Is there such an animal as glider rental insurance which might cover a broad spectrum of unforeseen events? If so, what might the name of the carrier be and perhaps a link to their website?

Thank you very much,

Walt Connelly
Neophyte Glider Pilot
Old August 15th 10, 08:35 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Darryl Ramm

--
Walt Connelly

You best bet would be to call folks like Costello Insurance and ask
then about what specifically you are after. Many of us who insure our
own gliders also carry renters insurance through insurance purchased
by people like Costello.

Darryl
Old August 16th 10, 01:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Aug 15, 6:06*am, Walt Connelly Is there such an animal as glider
rental insurance which might cover a
broad spectrum of unforeseen events?

Just join AOPA. Then, every couple of weeks you will receive an
envelope with "IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RENTER PILOTS" or "ACTION NEEDED"
stamps, trying to sell you - you guessed it - renter's insurance. The
letters will not stop until you buy.

You can also check Costello at www.gliderinsurance.com. Their and AOPA
prices seem to be identical.

Bart
Old August 16th 10, 06:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Whiteley

wrote:
[...]

Last time I checked, if you're a private owner through the SSA Hull
Plan (Costello), then you have non-owner/renter insurance up to the
hull value of your sailplane as long as it's on flying coverage. If
you put it on ground cover over the winter, that coverage stops.

Frank Whiteley
Old August 18th 10, 01:46 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BTiz

On Aug 15, 5:17*pm, Bart wrote:
On Aug 15, 6:06*am, Walt Connelly Is there such an animal as glider
rental insurance which might cover a

broad spectrum of unforeseen events?

Just join AOPA. Then, every couple of weeks you will receive an
envelope with "IMPORTANT NOTICE FOR RENTER PILOTS" or "ACTION NEEDED"
stamps, trying to sell you - you guessed it - renter's insurance. The
letters will not stop until you buy.

You can also check Costello atwww.gliderinsurance.com. Their and AOPA
prices seem to be identical.

Bart

Be careful what you buy. Some generic renter's policies do not cover
"experimental" aircraft. That means you may be covered for that 1-34
or 1-26 or Grob 103. But not for the LS4 or Janus C.
Costello's policies may be written to include experimental gliders. I
do not know.
Old August 18th 10, 02:03 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bart[_4_]

On Aug 17, 5:46*pm, BTiz wrote:
Be careful what you buy. Some generic renter's policies do not cover
"experimental" aircraft. That means you may be covered for that 1-34
or 1-26 or Grob 103. But not for the LS4 or Janus C.
Costello's policies may be written to include experimental gliders. I
do not know.

AOPA:
"This Insurance applies during your personal and non-commercial use of
non-owned fixed wing, non-pressurized, land aircraft having a non-
turbine single engine of 450 horsepower or less (including non-powered
sailplanes) and capacity for no more than seven ( 7 ) total passengers
and/or seats ( 1 pilot and 6 other passengers), and a 'Standard,
Experimental, Restricted or Light Sport' Aircraft Certificate, and not
furnished to you for more than thirty ( 30 ) consecutive days. Multi-
engine & Rotorwing aircraft are not included in this coverage."

B.