Blanik L-33 Solo

Old September 11th 10, 11:40 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Blanik L-33 Solo

Anyone wish to weigh in on the L-33 solo? I am in the market for a single seater. Metal is preferred because you can tie it down outside without the problems associated with glass. 1-34's are hard to find, not a lot of metal ships on the market these days it seems.

Can anyone speak to the handling of this aircraft from personal experience?

Walt
Old September 12th 10, 02:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Guy Byars[_2_]

Our club had one, and it flew very nicely. However, we found the tail
cone fragile if not landed with proper technique, and in a large club
such as ours, it didn't take long before some bonehead managed to bend
the fuslage.

For a private owner who has the skill to fly it properly, I believe it
would be a delightful glider to own.

Guy Byars

--
Walt Connelly

Old September 12th 10, 02:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

wrote:
Anyone wish to weigh in on the L-33 solo? I am in the market for a
single seater. *Metal is preferred because you can tie it down outside
without the problems associated with glass. *1-34's are hard to find,
not a lot of metal ships on the market these days it seems.

Can anyone speak to the handling of this aircraft from personal
experience? *

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

One item of note: It's not a Blanik.

The L-33 is a Solo.
The L-1
Old September 12th 10, 03:00 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
rlovinggood

wrote:
Anyone wish to weigh in on the L-33 solo? I am in the market for a
single seater. *Metal is preferred because you can tie it down outside
without the problems associated with glass. *1-34's are hard to find,
not a lot of metal ships on the market these days it seems.

Can anyone speak to the handling of this aircraft from personal
experience? *

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

One item of note: *It's not a Blanik.

The L-33 is a Solo.
The L-1

As I was saying, the L-33 is a Solo.
The L-13 is a Blanik and the L-23 is a Super Blanik. No "Blanik" name
in the Solo.

I have just a few flights in our club's Solo and I think it's quite a
nice glider. For an all-metal glider, the cockpit noise is noticeably
low. Also being an all-metal glider, it can better battle the
elements while tied down outside as compared to a fiberglass ship.
Our club's Solo is tied down outside in the elements, along with the
Cessnas and Pipers and Beechcrafts at the airport.

Handling-wise, I'll second what Guy says. I think it flies very
easily and nicely. Fun to fly. That's what it is.

We haven't pranged the tail-cone, yet. Not to say we won't, though.

And with the gear down and welded, you won't ever worry about leaving
an expensive white stripe down the pavement.

Ray Lovinggood
Carrboro, North Carolina, USA

Old September 12th 10, 03:08 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
L33

Can anyone speak to the handling of this aircraft from personal
experience? *

I had one as my first glider and loved it. Roomy and easy to fly. It's
performance isn't 40+ to 1 but it was good enough to win a regional.

Horst
Old September 12th 10, 03:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

Anyone wish to weigh in on the L-33 solo? I am in the market for a
single seater. *Metal is preferred because you can tie it down outside
without the problems associated with glass. *1-34's are hard to find,
not a lot of metal ships on the market these days it seems.

Can anyone speak to the handling of this aircraft from personal
experience? *

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

Option B: Rethink the plan of buying a metal glider for personal use
and tying it down outside. Really, assembly of typical fiberglass
gliders is not that big a deal. Once you look at your toy you won't
want to tie it down outside for long periods anyway. Metal doesn't
suffer UV, but the paint does, and it gets rained on, and birds poop
on it, and so on and so forth. There's a reason just about everyone
else around you leaves them in trailers! Once you are shopping for
"normal" gliders, your options increase dramatically.

John Cochrane
Old September 12th 10, 04:03 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
sisu1a

Option B: Rethink the plan of buying a metal glider for personal
use
and tying it down outside. Really, assembly of typical fiberglass
gliders is not that big a deal. Once you look at your toy you won't
want to tie it down outside for long periods anyway. Metal doesn't
suffer UV, but the paint does, and it gets rained on, and birds poop
on it, and so on and so forth. There's a reason just about everyone
else around you leaves them in trailers! Once you are shopping for
"normal" gliders, your options increase dramatically.

....not to mention the occasional freak storm.

-Paul
Old September 12th 10, 04:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Westbender

On Sep 12, 9:43*am, John Cochrane
wrote:
[...]

Agreed. The convenience of tying out is way overblown. I thought of
going in that direction when I was looking for my first ship. I'm sure
glad I didn't do it. You can get a good glass ship with a substantial
performance advantage for less money than an L-33. Rigging and de-
rigging doesn't take that long, and doing it solo couldn't be easier
with my LS1f.
Old September 13th 10, 12:35 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Cochrane[_2_] View Post
[...]

John, thank you for the input. I have spent a lot of time at the glider port
I frequent and have helped a number of people assemble their gliders. Even the easiest seem to run into major snags. Perhaps the latest, high performance and high priced glass ships can be truly assembled by one person and in short time, my experience this far has been that it is at least a two man and 30 minute or more operation. I timed one particular assembly which ran into a few snags and it seems this is the norm. I appreciate your response.

Walt
Old September 13th 10, 12:36 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisu1a View Post
Option B: Rethink the plan of buying a metal glider for personal
use
and tying it down outside. Really, assembly of typical fiberglass
gliders is not that big a deal. Once you look at your toy you won't
want to tie it down outside for long periods anyway. Metal doesn't
suffer UV, but the paint does, and it gets rained on, and birds poop
on it, and so on and so forth. There's a reason just about everyone
else around you leaves them in trailers! Once you are shopping for
"normal" gliders, your options increase dramatically.

....not to mention the occasional freak storm.

-Paul
Good point, I live in Fla and we have our share including hurricanes.

Walt

Blanik L-23 Super Blanik Manual -F.C.F.S. Joel Flamenbaum Soaring 2 April 14th 10 03:29 PM
Flight manuals! MDM 1 Fox e Blanik L33 Solo! [email protected] Soaring 0 January 22nd 06 03:20 AM
Blanik L-13 brien Soaring 0 December 5th 04 02:00 PM
Blanik L33 Solo For Sale - Chicago, IL USA Curtl33 Soaring 0 October 17th 03 02:25 AM
WTB Blanik L13 mike fadden Soaring 2 August 8th 03 04:30 AM