Home Study for CFI-g

Old January 19th 11, 04:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
lanebush

Default Home Study for CFI-g

On Jan 18, 9:44*pm, T wrote:
On Jan 18, 8:02*am, lanebush wrote:

On Jan 18, 10:40*am, mattm wrote:

On Jan 18, 10:35*am, mattm wrote:

On Jan 17, 9:40*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.

wrote:
Anyone have a good recommendation for a home study course for CFI-G.
Seems that all there is available is books with the questions and
answers. *Working on the Fundamentals Of Instruction right now.

Walt

--
Walt Connelly

At your current stage the most crucial resource is the
Aviation Instructor's Handbook (link listed at the top of John's
list). *For me, this book was the real eye-opener about becoming
an instructor. *Also, this is what the FAA examiner will be mostly
concentrating on when you take your instructor checkride. *When I
got my checkride I never got to touch the stick!

-- Matt

Hmm, I guess John's pointing at a different book. *Anyway, the
FAA book I'm talking about is at:

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...structors_hand....

-- Matt

I took my CFIG writtens and practical in 2010. *I used the ASA Test
Prep software to study for the FOI and Glider Aeronautical writtens.
Seemed to work fine for me with above a 90 on both exams. *You get the
exam sign off directly from ASA via email once you email them three
scores of above 80 percent.

Lane
XF

When I did mine in 2004 you did not need a sign off to take the FOI or
Instructor written exams.

You are correct. To the best of my knowledge those are two exams that
do not require a sign off. ASA will email you one though.

Lane
Old January 19th 11, 05:32 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Andrew Wood[_2_]

wrote:
Anyone have a good recommendation for a home study course for CFIG?

The BGA has an excellent Glider Instructors Manual that can be normally be
ordered on their website. At the moment it is being updated, but will be
available to buy again early February.

An older, but extremely valuable book for new CFIGs is "Flying Training
in Gliders" by Ann and Lorne Welch. Its out of print, but copies are
around, I've seen some on Amazon.

Old January 19th 11, 04:21 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

When I did mine in 2004 you did not need a sign off to take the FOI or
Instructor written exams.

You are correct. *To the best of my knowledge those are two exams that
do not require a sign off. *ASA will email you one though.

Lane

From personal experience, and that the nearest testing center to Marfa
Texas is 186 miles away in El Paso: Get the endorsement to take the
knowledge test(s) from any CFI (not necessarily a CFI-G) because the
nice folks at the Computer Center will likely ask for it when you
arrive and they may not always know if it is required. Also, always
make an appointment with the testing center and let them know in
advance exactly which test you need. There is a difference between
the "initial" CFI knowledge test and the "add-on rating" for CFI-
Glider.