Ridge Soaring?

Old January 28th 11, 10:18 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default Ridge Soaring?

Okay, I'm looking for a place to do some ridge soaring. Never done it, it doesn't exist where I fly. (Seminole Lake GP, Florida) Any suggestions as to the best ridge soaring and availability of instruction?

Walt
Old January 29th 11, 04:45 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Berry[_2_]

In article ,
Walt Connelly wrote:

Okay, I'm looking for a place to do some ridge soaring. Never done it,
it doesn't exist where I fly. (Seminole Lake GP, Florida) Any
suggestions as to the best ridge soaring and availability of
instruction?

Walt

Hands down, you need to go to Chilhowee Gliderport, Benton, TN.
Chilhowee is a great place to get an intro to ridge flying. It is the
closest ridge site to you, the gliderport is close up against the ridge,
the ridge works well, and the surrounding terrain is landout friendly.
Instruction, rides, and tows are available. Lodging is close by and
reasonably priced. I recommend (believe it or not) the local Red Roof
Inn. They have a special rate for glider pilots ($55/night) and the
hotel is actually extremely clean, comfortable, and well run.

I'm sure you'll hear from others also suggesting Chilhowee.
Old January 29th 11, 04:50 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 28, 11:45*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,
*Walt Connelly wrote:

Okay, I'm looking for a place to do some ridge soaring. *Never done it,
it doesn't exist where I fly. (Seminole Lake GP, Florida) *Any
suggestions as to the best ridge soaring and availability of
instruction? *

Walt

I'm sure you'll hear from others also suggesting Chilhowee.

Nope! Blairstown.......far better flights....just look at OLC this
year and previous.

Operates every day all year so you can fly when the ridge is working!
Also two sided ridge....NW or SE winds work!

Note about ridge soaring...it only works when it works........you
could hang out for two weeks and have no ridge days.....or like this
year, get about 9 ridge days in a row!

Early to mid spring is typically the best time....also great thermals
and sometimes wave mixed in!

Cookie
Old January 30th 11, 05:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Oliver

Try Europe! St Auban in the French Alps has ridges in just about every
wind direction, probably the best glider fleet in the world, fantastic
instructors including at least 3 former world champions and attracts
pilots from all over the world.

See

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lo9jE9XJyek

and my other videos.

Slope soaring Mt Blanc at 12000 feet + would make the journey worthwhile!

Old January 30th 11, 06:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike Oliver

PS The instructors also speak English........not sure about american
though!

Old January 30th 11, 08:37 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
jcarlyle

If you're willing to travel, I recommend the most famous US site -
Ridge Soaring in Julian, PA. Tom Knauff and Doris Grove have a great
reputation in the soaring community, and will set you safely on the
right course. And I can vouch from experience that you won't forget
any day get the chance to fly along the Appalachian ridges when the
wind is higher than 15 kt from 310!

-John
Old January 30th 11, 08:47 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
John Cochrane[_2_]

On Jan 30, 2:37*pm, jcarlyle wrote:
If you're willing to travel, I recommend the most famous US site -
Ridge Soaring in Julian, PA. Tom Knauff and Doris Grove have a great
reputation in the soaring community, and will set you safely on the
right course. And I can vouch from experience that you won't forget
any day get the chance to fly along the Appalachian ridges when the
wind is higher than 15 kt from 310!

-John

For any ridge flying, google earth is a tremendous resource. Look up
the common routes, then "fly" them in the comfort of your lounge
chair. It helps enormously with orientation and gap-crossing when the
time comes to do it for real. You can even scout for fields.

John Cochrane
Old January 31st 11, 01:14 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Oliver View Post
PS The instructors also speak English........not sure about american
though!
No problem with those who don't speak American. I teach American, Cracker, and Red Neck among other colloquial forms of speech. I can also give them the history of the American units whose boys died on Utah and Omaha Beach on D day. Those young men were fluent in American.

Walt
Old January 31st 11, 02:39 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 28, 11:45*pm, Berry wrote:
In article ,
*Walt Connelly wrote:

Okay, I'm looking for a place to do some ridge soaring. *Never done it,
it doesn't exist where I fly. (Seminole Lake GP, Florida) *Any
suggestions as to the best ridge soaring and availability of
instruction? *

Walt

Hands down, you need to go to Chilhowee Gliderport, Benton, TN.
Chilhowee is a great place to get an intro to ridge flying. It is the
closest ridge site to you, the gliderport is close up against the ridge,
the ridge works well, and the surrounding terrain is landout friendly.
Instruction, rides, and tows are available. Lodging is close by and
reasonably priced. I recommend (believe it or not) the local Red Roof
Inn. They have a special rate for glider pilots ($55/night) and the
hotel is actually extremely clean, comfortable, and well run.

I'm sure you'll hear from others also suggesting Chilhowee.

If you are coming from Florida, I would second Wally's recomendation.
It is really important to go to a site that is prepared to train and
mentor you. Chilwowee and Ridge Soaring are well prepared for this.
Chilhowee available all year round.
Don't be to swayed by record and OLC flying as much as training and
mentoring availability.
Good Luck
UH
Old February 1st 11, 12:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

On Jan 31, 9:39*am, wrote:
On Jan 28, 11:45*pm, Berry wrote:

In article ,
*Walt Connelly wrote:

[...]

UH- Hide quoted text -

Well I gotta laugh......of course this question comes up on this group
every so often, and of course everybody answers with "where I
fly".....you know, "my airport is better than your airport".

I'm not so sure that any particular ridge site has any better
instruction than any other. I am sure that you will find at any
ridge site some highly experienced instructor(s), willing to give you
great personalized instruction, and fly as much as your pocket book
would allow.

But here is the real problem with the "plan"......You can't learn to
ridge fly in a day, you can't learn in a week and you can't learn in a
month...........

So if you go somewhere, where there is a good ridge, and good
instruction, say for a two week vacation....you may get one day of
ridge flying, maybe two......if you are really lucky a couple of
days......

So what you are going to get, at best, is an INTRODUCTION to ridge
soaring.......lots of fun...you'll learn a lot....but you'll have a
long way to go...

For example, the local club guidelines require a min of 4 hours of
dual ridge instruction, before solo flight on the local ridge is
allowed....and additional minimum 10 flights and 6 hours of solo
flight is required before cross country ridge is allowed.....(many
pilots need more than these recommended minimuns).

So, hard to do in a week..............sure on the ridge you can easily
fly 4 hours in one flight, but doubtful the instructor would allow
solo after only one flight..........

Bottom line...If you want to *really* learn to fly ridge....you have
to MOVE to where a ridge is......and be ready to fly every day the
wind blows the right way!

If you want some intro to ridge flying, take a vacation where
something else intrests you as well, so you have something to do on
all those days when the ridge doesn't work!

Cookie