2011 Senior Championships

Old March 6th 11, 11:46 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Default 2011 Senior Championships

The Senior Championships are coming up next week at Seminole Lake Glider Port and I am as excited as a virgin on her wedding night. I have the back seat of Karl Striedieck's Duo Discus reserved for Tuesday of the event and I am looking forward to this like a kid waiting for Christmas. I am sure this will be a great learning experience, a chance to see a true champion do what he does. Hope the weather cooperates, much of last years event was washed out.

Walt
Old March 7th 11, 02:07 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of Karl
as he has never lost a day when prodded along by encouragement from
the rear.
After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
wedding night.

See you there.
Old March 7th 11, 01:35 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hretting View Post
Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of Karl
as he has never lost a day when prodded along by encouragement from
the rear.
After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
wedding night.

See you there.
Oddly put, do I detect a bit of double entendre? I am not one to prod a Karl from the rear, a Karla perhaps but not a Karl.

I was thinking of a low residue meal, the one you described reminds me of one I had just before qualifying in the altitude chamber 40 years ago. 'Twas an explosive environment for sure. Actually it would be tough to find two chili dogs and a bean burrito around SLGP. There is a gas station down the road on 33 but the best you could do there would be a mass produced, pre packaged Cuban Sandwich and I would recommend against that. Had one last year and it was the best laxative I've ever had.

Walt
Old March 7th 11, 04:25 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ls8234

On Mar 6, 9:07*pm, hretting wrote:
Tuesday is looking to be one of the hottest for the week, so it's
looking good for your consummation. Be sure to eat 2 chili dogs, 1
bean burrito, and 3 Pepsi to get the best pumping action out of *Karl
as he has never lost a day when prodded along by *encouragement from
the rear.
After all, everyone should get nothing but the best effort on their
wedding night.

See you there.

Oh, Romeo you are.........so, so bad!
DI
Old March 7th 11, 09:57 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

I could not resist....I will say that some of the best gut busting
tales are those that happened aboard the S.S. KS, all as a public
service to the US Team. And the great thing is KS enthusiasm has not
faded. From Ed B. and Ray G. to the newbies who failed to understand
what was required to stay in a thermal, Fighter Pilot style.
We all look forward to what tale you come home with.
Old March 8th 11, 02:34 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hretting View Post
I could not resist....I will say that some of the best gut busting
tales are those that happened aboard the S.S. KS, all as a public
service to the US Team. And the great thing is KS enthusiasm has not
faded. From Ed B. and Ray G. to the newbies who failed to understand
what was required to stay in a thermal, Fighter Pilot style.
We all look forward to what tale you come home with.
I look forward to seeing what a fighter pilot does in a thermal, I'll be taking notes. I've spent the last year trying to teach myself how to stay in one and would welcome any first hand experience, especially from someone with Karl's record. You speak as though I should be scared. I've been scared in an airplane before, but someone was shooting at me. I've spoken to Chuck Coyne and I hope to have an account of my ride in Soaring Magazine.

Walt
Old March 8th 11, 03:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
hretting

The fighter pilot note was how a newbie might describe max effort
competition thermaling (are you confuse again?) is. Remember, you're
the virgin and unlike being shot at (hmmm, potential gig), this will
be a good kind of scared (read thrill).
Also, I want to acknowledge Doug Jacobs and others, like Karl, who
have allowed so many to see what so few are aware of. I failed to
mention that in a previous post. All the ride-a-long stories would
make a great read.
Old March 9th 11, 01:41 AM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hretting View Post
The fighter pilot note was how a newbie might describe max effort
competition thermaling (are you confuse again?) is. Remember, you're
the virgin and unlike being shot at (hmmm, potential gig), this will
be a good kind of scared (read thrill).
Also, I want to acknowledge Doug Jacobs and others, like Karl, who
have allowed so many to see what so few are aware of. I failed to
mention that in a previous post. All the ride-a-long stories would
make a great read.
R. I can't tell you how much I look forward to losing my virginity. I just hope it's a BIG day and Karl can KEEP IT UP all day long. I've not heard the term "max effort competition thermaling" before but I am ready to observe and learn.

I hope to be one of the few who gets to see much of what so many are unaware. Guys like myself are thankful for guys like karl and Doug Jacobs and others who make such things possible.

Hope to have the story of my ride along (loss of virginity) in SSA Magazine along with pictures and my thoughts on condom catheters.

Walt
Old March 9th 11, 08:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BruceGreeff

That first time you find yourself in the middle of a glittering column
of 20-30 long wings all trying to get the maximum out of a thermal you
will start to understand.

When you see traces of a once world champion rejecting a 4m/s thermal a
500m and flying on to the dust devil below the tops of the grain silos a
couple of km away, you may start to wonder at the sanity...

At some point you start enjoying it - at whatever level of commitment is
right for you.

Personally I tend to head off once a thermal gaggle gets past 5 or 6
gliders, and am happy to keep it up on my own. Others seem to need a group.

Bruce

--
Bruce Greeff
T59D #1771 & Std Cirrus #57
Old March 9th 11, 11:57 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

[quote=BruceGreeff;765009]That first time you find yourself in the middle of a glittering column
of 20-30 long wings all trying to get the maximum out of a thermal you
will start to understand.

When you see traces of a once world champion rejecting a 4m/s thermal a
500m and flying on to the dust devil below the tops of the grain silos a
couple of km away, you may start to wonder at the sanity...

At some point you start enjoying it - at whatever level of commitment is
right for you.

Personally I tend to head off once a thermal gaggle gets past 5 or 6
gliders, and am happy to keep it up on my own. Others seem to need a group.

Bruce

Well the weather for Tuesday calls for partly cloudy with a high of 79 and a low of 55. Not sure what the difference between partly cloudy and partly sunny is but I will be completely disappointed if we don't get to fly closer to completely than partially.

I have investigated the wonderful world of the condom catheter with the requisite accoutrements such as additional tubing and a leg bag which I am sure would keep at least one of my ankles warm and cozy. Let's see, what else? Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50 rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) Just kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo. A note pad and a pen, I will be doing some note taking along with shooting some pics. I'm even beginning to dream of this adventure.

Walt

Soaring Cafe Weekly Digest for week of . February 19th, 2011 throughFebruary 23th, 2011 Bill Elliott[_2_] Soaring 0 February 25th 11 08:37 AM
Summer 2011 E. Douglas Whitehead Soaring 0 February 1st 11 02:42 AM
OLC 2011 dhaluza Soaring 12 October 22nd 10 12:02 AM
2011 USA 18M Nationals 5 ugly Soaring 3 August 18th 10 04:52 AM