2011 Senior Championships

Old March 10th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

Default 2011 Senior Championships

On Mar 10, 12:57*pm, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
I have investigated the wonderful world of the condom catheter with the
requisite accoutrements such as additional tubing and a leg bag which I
am sure would keep at least one of my ankles warm and cozy. *Let's see,
what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of
H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe
a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo. *A note pad and a pen, I will
be doing some note taking along with *shooting some pics. *I'm even
beginning to dream of this adventure. *

I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
bag of chips explodes!!
Old March 10th 11, 12:54 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

*Let's see,
what else? *Okay, my camelback will be filled with about 1.5 liters of
H20, my camera battery will be charged, a couple of granola bars, maybe
a roast beef sandwich and a bag of chips, a pocket knife, a space
blanket, signal mirror, fire starter, inflatable boat, a pistol, 50
rounds of ammunition (I'm gonna be gone most of the afternoon.) *Just
kidding, I won't need 50 rounds of ammo.

I hope you're not thermalling too close to another glider when that
bag of chips explodes!![/quote]

Bruce, I've taken a small bag of chips aloft in a 1-34 and at 4000 feet although it bloated a bit it did not explode. It would be interesting to know at what altitude that might happen. I have become a fan of Pringles though and I would have to use a baggie to avoid the tube. I would imagine that at some of the altitudes they can achieve out west in wave and perhaps even in thermals would cause such an event. My guess based on the recent cloud bottoms around here is that we will be lucky as heck to make 4 to 5K feet.

Walt
Old March 10th 11, 02:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tony[_5_]

--
Walt Connelly

My experience in the Cessna 421 was small chip bags explode at ~14,000
ft cabin altitude. And it really really gets your attention if you're
not expecting it!
Old March 10th 11, 03:17 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa

My experience with the inevitable crumbs from chips, dry granola bars
and sandwiches is that you'll have mice in your glider the next day!

I suggest bananas and apples.

Old March 10th 11, 09:28 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burt Compton - Marfa View Post
My experience with the inevitable crumbs from chips, dry granola bars
and sandwiches is that you'll have mice in your glider the next day!

I suggest bananas and apples.
Tony, thanks for the info on potential chip bag explosion altitude. Quite confident that we will not approach 14K.

Burt, I bow to your greater wisdom, I'll dispense with the chips and granola bars. I really don't expect that much nutrition will be necessary during this event especially in that I am but a passenger. H20, maybe a banana and I will be good to go, thanks for the advice.

Walt
Old March 10th 11, 11:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Frank Paynter[_2_]

On Mar 10, 7:54*am, Walt Connelly Walt.Connelly.
wrote:
[...]

Take a dramamine before the flight, and take a couple of barf bags
along in case the dramamine doesn't work as well as it should. Even
very experienced soaring pilots get airsick in the back. I rode with
Doug twice a few years ago, and took a dramamine each time. Never had
a problem with airsickness, but didn't want to find out too late that
I did! ;-).

Frank
Old March 11th 11, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
kevin anderson

I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.

Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.

Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.

Kevin
192
92

Old March 11th 11, 03:35 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom Dukerich

On 3/10/2011 5:12 PM, kevin anderson wrote:
I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.

Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.

Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.

Kevin
192
92

I use ginger. If I have a root, I cut off a small section, peel it and
place between my check and gum like chewing tobacco.

If I don't have a root, a bottle of ginger capsules is under $10.

Tom
Old March 11th 11, 04:33 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Larry Goddard

"Tom Dukerich" wrote in message
:

On 3/10/2011 5:12 PM, kevin anderson wrote:
I would recommend Bonnine ( Dramamine II ) which is Meclizine, also
known as anti-vert. Used for motion sickness or for inner ear
problems. Not sedating like regular dramamine.

Either way, if you are going to take one of the other, try them
sometime on a day before the flight to find out how they effect you.

Some non sedating meds will sedate some people, and some meds like
dramamine will REALLY make some people very sleepy.

Kevin
192
92

I use ginger. If I have a root, I cut off a small section, peel it and
place between my check and gum like chewing tobacco.

If I don't have a root, a bottle of ginger capsules is under $10.

Tom

Ginger _really_ made me sleepy the few times I used it.... YMMV.

Larry

Old March 11th 11, 04:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Mike the Strike

On Mar 10, 9:33*pm, "Larry Goddard" wrote:
[...]

Ginger is really great fro motion sickness and if you get sleepy you
can stick a bit in the other end! Guaranteed to wake you up!

Mike

Soaring Cafe Weekly Digest for week of . February 19th, 2011 throughFebruary 23th, 2011 Bill Elliott[_2_] Soaring 0 February 25th 11 08:37 AM
Summer 2011 E. Douglas Whitehead Soaring 0 February 1st 11 02:42 AM
OLC 2011 dhaluza Soaring 12 October 22nd 10 12:02 AM
2011 USA 18M Nationals 5 ugly Soaring 3 August 18th 10 04:52 AM