Canopy open incident.

Old June 17th 13, 12:44 PM
Walt Connelly Walt Connelly is offline
Senior Member

Reading many of these responses one might conclude that loss of one's glasses might be a high probability in a canopy opening on tow. Perhaps our check lists might need to include "safety strap on glasses." I wear a pair of FIT OVERS over my glasses when flying, they are secured with a strap which I would hope would preclude the loss of both in such an event. It would only add to the situation if a pilot was to suddenly find him or herself in such a situation and additionally be impaired by the lack of adequate vision. Also, the need to emergency egress and the opening shock of a chute might cause one's specs to depart one's face. It might be time for me to break down and have that Lasik number done.

Walt
Old June 17th 13, 03:22 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Ralph Jones[_3_]

Default Canopy open incident.

On Sun, 16 Jun 2013 14:15:43 +0100, Walt Connelly
wrote:

[snip]

One might think that an engineer could design a system which would
overcome the force on the tow hook which exceed the pilot's ability to
pull the release. I've heard of a condition like this happening when
the glider pilot "thought" he had released and in fact had not. Never
sure how things like that happen.

There was a tow-pilot fatality at my former gliderport years ago, in
which the towpilot apparently couldn't reach the release handle while
he was holding full back stick to avoid being nosed into the ground.
Old June 17th 13, 09:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfChrisReed

I think the original poster made the best decision. Those saying he should have pulled off immediately and landed ahead can only speak with any authority if they've achieved that in a similar situation.

My canopy opening incident was while winch launching a Grob Astir. It appears from the witness marks that my sweatshirt was caught in the canopy lock, behind my shoulder and thus not visible, so the part of the mechanism I could see was engaged and a push up on the canopy didn't move it. A bump on the ground run pulled my sweatshirt loose and the canopy began to open as I rotated into the climb. RH hinged, so I automatically pushed it closed with my left. By then I'm 50ft into the climb and the thinking begins, starting with "fly the aircraft". By the time I've worked out the next course of action (hang on to canopy, because if it opens and breaks away my elevator might go with it, in which case it's goodnight) I'm at 200 ft and climbing. This is not too much height to land ahead on a 3,000 ft runway *if* (and only if) I can use the airbrakes - with my left hand, which is holding the canopy closed. So I rode the launch to the top.

Then some interesting attitudes while I failed to lock the canopy, followed by some experimenting with the airbrake. As I could use my elbow to modulate it between full and half open I set up for a full airbrake approach to the start of the runway, and used the modulation to land me a safe margin beyond that point. A non-event in the end, like the original poster.

As the commentary in the video says, by the time the pilot had everything under control there was still a land-ahead (actually 30 degree turn to a taxiway) option. But that option had to be flown with the aircraft in an unknown configuration - could he operate all the necessary controls? would 200ft of height be enough time to learn? The problem was a known one, and there was no further danger of the canopy disappearing, so I'm certain the right thing to do was to gain height. I'd have ridden the tow to 2,000 ft, to give me the option of using the parachute if I couldn't make the glider controllable for landing.

And let me stress the elevator again. If the canopy detaches at 50ft and knocks off the tailplane, that's probably not survivable. Hold the damned thing on, and work out a better plan!
Old June 17th 13, 10:19 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

I can't see anything in the argument below that suggests either course of action would be preferable. Land ahead or fly away, the glider is in an unknown condition. Land or fly, you have to operate the controls. A canopy that has slammed open is bent or broken and won't close no matter how long the flight is extended.

If the flight does continue, the situation may snowball into something deadly. Accidents are a chain of events and several are in play as soon as the canopy opens. Extending this situation increases the chances something unexpected will add to the pilot's problem taking it beyond what the pilot can deal with. The canopy wasn't latched, perhaps the spoilers aren't locked either. Maybe the seat slips back from the pilots contortions. In this situation it would only take a minor event.

Releasing and landing ahead, as long as you have the room, is an excellent option not to be discarded lightly. It's fundamental to flight crew training that if somethings goes wrong with the aircraft while there's still room to stop, then damn it STOP! The question is, can you do it? If not, why not? People practice 200 foot rope breaks why not practice landing ahead when there's room?

I can't find a single incidence of an accident landing ahead after a malfunction but there's no problem at all finding fatal accidents where the pilot tried to fly a disabled aircraft. Anybody remember Clem Bowman?

Old June 19th 13, 12:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
ProfChrisReed

Bill, I took the view that 200 ft of height was insufficient to learn how to land the glider safely if I couldn't use the airbrakes. I had plenty of practice landing ahead from simulated (and a few real) failures, but none doing so whilst holding the canopy closed and possibly unable to use the airbrakes. Allowing the canopy to swing open so I could use the airbrakes would risk full detachment and tailplane damage. And I'd need to let go of the canopy to pull the release.

All this is in the first two seconds or so after rotation, and a few seconds later the land ahead option is no longer available. So I decided that I needed height to sort out these issues, rather than trusting to luck if I released.

"Release if you have a problem and can land ahead" is a useful mantra, but the operative word is "if". I wasn't sure enough, and neither was the original poster.

I would have been sure if I had practised landing with a partially opened canopy, but bizarrely that's not on the training syllabus. Now, of course, I know how to do it.
Old June 19th 13, 01:52 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill D

On Tuesday, June 18, 2013 5:12:22 PM UTC-6, ProfChrisReed wrote:
[...]

It's normal for a pilot to try to hold on to an open canopy but DON'T DO IT! If a canopy has slammed open without departing the aircraft, it probably isn't going to - and it's probably beyond saving. If the canopy is really going to depart, you couldn't hold on to it with one hand at aero tow speed anyway. Leave the damned thing alone, it's not worth risking your life to save it. Release and "fly the glider" to a safe landing on the remaining runway if you have room.

An open and/or broken canopy fully meets the criteria for a "disabled aircraft". Don't fly a disabled aircraft if you don't have to.

You are absolutely right aborted takeoffs should be in the training syllabus. It's a perfect scenario to practice with Condor. Then when you have it down pat with the simulator, try it for real with an instructor.

If you think a mere canopy opening is a rush, consider this. We've recently had several incidents of tow pilots aborting a takeoff and coming to a quick stop on the runway with a glider on tow 200 feet behind. It happened to me. I was just able to tuck the Twin Lark's wing under the Pawnee's wing as I flew by. The tow pilot had no explanation for his actions.

For the tuggee's - if you have to abort a takeoff, continue at speed to the end of the runway to give the glider room to touchdown and stop behind you.. If you can't, depart the runway to the left.

A final story. I watched a Schweizer-trained pilot make a first flight in a Libelle. At 2000' AGL, as trained, the pilot pulled the red knob - but instead of the expected release, the canopy departed. It didn't hit the tail. It was just scratched when it hit the sagebrush. The pilot landed safely.

Old June 19th 13, 01:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Tom K (ES)

This is exactly why I posted this video, to start a conversation about this situation that would cause pilots to think about what they would have done in this situation and maybe if it happens to them already have a plan in place.

Let's hope my next video will not be "Dealing with a plugged pee tube in my Diana glider".

Tom
Old June 23rd 13, 01:09 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
tstock

the right thing. What say you, far more experienced glider pilots?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?featur...v=r0I75OZmA-0#!

I can't criticize because he succeeded.

If it were me, flying the airplane means leaving the canopy alone and flying, not grabbing for it. Next I would have released immediately since the plane was only 15 feet off the ground.

Grabbing the canopy and flying higher while switching hands or wrestling with it could have ended badly if he had gotten out of tow position, broke the rope, and was say... 50-75 feet AGL, and out of runway?

-tom

A340 Incident K&FKeam Aviation Photos 38 May 13th 08 02:05 AM
Accident or Incident? [email protected] Piloting 4 February 11th 06 04:20 AM
Curious incident :) Ramapriya Piloting 23 December 22nd 05 08:03 AM
LAS incident H.P. Piloting 11 October 3rd 05 02:37 AM
NY incident :-( Rosspilot Piloting 33 January 1st 04 12:41 AM