Flight review required?

Old April 16th 16, 05:17 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Default Flight review required?

The SSA is working through this issue, and hopefully we'll see this fixed by the end of April.

This is correct. The Soaring Safety Foundation chairman has taken the lead by direction of the SSA Board.
Progress has been made. Expect to have this rectified and that's the response from the FAA to us.
End of April may be optimistic. Patience is required when working with the government but they are being responsive on the highest level.
Old April 16th 16, 06:01 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

RN, I agree, the CFIG under 61.31 is only endorsing a rated pilot to fly a glider as PIC in solo operations, not provide a flight review for that pilot to go fly his king air. But the FAA is telling us that an airplane qualified rated pilot must have a flight review in airplane before we can use 61.31 for his glider PIC solo operation toward a rating. The FAA is not trusting that with our endorsement under 61.31 we would have reviewed all current regulations, airspace requirements, and glider flight skills for his PIC glider only flights.

Burt, we hope that the SAA and Safety Foundation can quickly resolve this. I have a "student" under 61.31 that is now grounded based on the legal interpretation in that letter until he can get an airplane flight review. He has no medical and has not flown powered airplanes for 17 hrs. He was back into flying with his son's interest in learning to fly and both were quickly advancing toward dual check rides this spring.

BillT.
Old April 16th 16, 08:43 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Robert Ballou

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 8:54:16 PM UTC-7, Glider RN wrote:
Bill T says the FAA does not trust the instructors judgement. Have no idea, but the instructor can sign off a certificated pilot without a glider rating to act as PIC per FAA AC 61.31(d).

Agree with most of N97MT's comments. I would claim a devils advocate option on the statements about the glider applicant having a flight review to climb in his King AIr. The CFIG endorsing per AC61.31(d) is authorizing PIC operation of a glider only if that is what he fills in. It is not a flight review. The CFIG can restrict the time of the endorsement as has been recommended by the SSA for quite some time. This endorsement is not a flight review. It just lets the applicant go fly the glider legally.

The example cited becomes more of a concern to the FSDO Inspector or DPE if they issue a glider rating for his certificate. The new rating counts as a flight review and so he can go drag out the King Air and be legal if not smart.

However this is not much different than the issue a CFI faces if a pilot with a glider rating and a MEL rating on his certificate comes in for a flight review in a glider. The CFI may not even be rated for Airplanes, but the flight review in the glider opens the gate for the glider and the King AIr. This has never made sense.

Well, sort of. Now that this pilot has his glider add on and therefore re-started his flight review 2 year cycle, he now has to comply with 61.57(a). It clearly states, "The required [3] takeoffs and landings were performed in an aircraft of the same category, class, and type . . . ." This hypothetical King Air and glider are different categories (see Part 1, "catagory (1), examples"). Three landings in a glider does not make one current in airplanes or vice versa for that matter. Okay, so there is one more hurdle to overcome but still it is not a roadblock. My advice is for everyone to keep the keys to their King Air well hidden!
Old April 17th 16, 12:21 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Robert, with a new completed glider rating, he can go do those King Air landings (and takeoffs) solo before carrying passengers.
No more instruction required according to the FARs.

BillT
Old April 17th 16, 05:01 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Burt Compton - Marfa Gliders, west Texas

Update from our SSA Board Chairman Ken Sorenson and Soaring Safety Foundation Chairman Rich Carlson on the SSA website: http://www.ssa.org/GeneralNews?show=blog&id=4139
Old April 19th 16, 08:58 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

On Friday, April 15, 2016 at 10:10:00 PM UTC-4, N97MT wrote:
The whole Flight Review bit is weird anyway because a strictly CFI-G, who has no knowledge multi-engine Airplanes, could sign you off in your Glider Flight Review, and you could then immediately legally climb into a King Air and fly away, even though you have not touched one in 50 years. Of course we assume here you are already rated in both category and class of the respective aircraft (Glider and AMEL).

This has always been true.

The flight review is a review for your *certificate*, not of your ratings:

61.56(a)(2) A review of those maneuvers and procedures that, at the discretion of the person giving the review, are necessary for the pilot to demonstrate the safe exercise of the privileges of the pilot certificate.

BTW, I am one of those people who solo'd gliders with a Commercial certificate and no flight review before passing the checkride.

--bob

Old April 19th 16, 09:02 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bob Pasker

61.57(a) is clearly ONLY for carrying passengers.

with a flight review in gliders, you can solo that King Air 350 all you want. you can even do 3 touch and goes, fill it with passengers, and take them on a nice jaunt.

--bob

Old April 22nd 16, 02:05 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Terry said "Most training gliders fit in light sport.". The 2-33 certainly does, but the Blanik L-23 or the Ask 21 does not due to Vne - or am I missing something?
Old April 22nd 16, 02:54 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bruce Hoult

On Friday, April 22, 2016 at 1:05:28 PM UTC+12, wrote:
Terry said "Most training gliders fit in light sport.". The 2-33 certainly does, but the Blanik L-23 or the Ask 21 does not due to Vne - or am I missing something?

Light Sport Aircraft have a 120 knot limit on speed in level flight. NOT a limit on Vne (that I can see).

Gliders can't do level flight at all.
Old April 22nd 16, 04:11 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill T

Light sport aircraft directly limits gliders to a Vne of 120kcas to qualify as light sport.

BillT